'91 NSX - Taking the plunge!

First let me start by thanking all the members of this site who have contributed to this vast resource of knowledge. I look forward to becoming a contributor as well in the near future.

’91 NSX
71000 Miles
Manual Trans (of course)
Dinan Perf Chip
Headers
K&N Filter
More info and pictures: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4602380606&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:US:1

I've put down a deposit on this beauty, and, baring any major findings from a thorough inspection by an Acura dealer, I intend to purchase it.

Being local, I looked it over in person yesterday, and based on several pricing resources and the pricing guidelines posted in this forum (http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/BuySell/pricing.htm), I feel that it is a good deal. Definitely a C or D grade. However, I would like everyone else’s opinion. I also have some general questions related to estimating repair costs.

Pros:

1. Clean carfax
2. The paint looks good, despite a few rock chips.
3. The interior is near perfect. Removing the seat covers revealed seats in great condition.
4. It runs strong, sounds good and handles well.
5. Tires in good shape
6. Not in snap-ring range

Cons:

1. No maintenance history. I will contact the Acura dealer nearest the previous owner tomorrow.
2. The Advan rims are in bad shape; chrome is flaking off, and one has curb rash. However, they do appear to be balanced and true.
3. In order to fit the aftermarket rims, half of the front wheel well cowlings were cut out (not pretty).
4. The front of the car has been repainted – everything below the hood for sure.
5. Big rock chip on side mirror (see photos)
6. Paint faded on wind shield wipers
7. The bumper chin is missing.
8. The car pulls to the right slightly.
9. The SRS light on the dash stays on.
10. There is no spare tire.
11. Undercarriage has road grime, and some seepage from trans hoses. (No drips)
12. The trim piece under the gages and steering wheel column has a broken fastener.
13. The stereo doesn’t work. When you turn it on, only low-volume white noise comes from the speakers. He said the previous owner was in the process of upgrading. There’s an aftermarket amp mounted in the trunk, next to the CD changer.

Additional costs I’ve come up with so far:
Stock rims and tires – I’ve seen several ads here for these +_ $1,500
Spare tire?
Front wheel well cowlings?
Paint side mirror $200
Bumper chin $150
Plactic cover on interior door post $180
Alignment?
SRS Light?
Stereo fix?
Possible scheduled maintenance? (Will know more tomorrow)

Questions:

1. Taking into account the additional costs, what would be a fair price for this car?
2. Has anyone had their stereo in this condition? Any idea what would cause this constant-volume white noise from all speakers?
3. From the picture, can you tell if a stock spare tire would fit? The brake disks are drilled (not sure if aftermarket or modified), but it has the stock calipers.
4. Causes for SRS light to stay on?
5. Could these rims adversely affect the condition of other steering and suspension components?

All comments are welcome.

Thanks!

Rick

You may want to ditch the Dinan chip, it has often been dynod at less horsepower then stock.

I saw this Black/Black 1991 on ebay with NO Reserve last week. I was interested in it but the person selling it would not give me a number which I could call him on to get more detail information on the car.I guess you had been luck. I ended up last Friday buying a 1993 NSX Formula Red that needed nothing at all done to it. The 1993 I purchased has a new Pioneer stereo system in it. The orginal went bad...cost to replace is not cheap. But, the amp just could be bad or they could have blown the speaker with to powerful of a aftermarket amp. You never know with an inheritance resell. You can also research the car with Acura and find where the car was purchased from in 1991 and call the local Acura in the area and go from their. I will also say that when there is a NO Reserve on an NSX there is a good reason or less likely the person does not care what it sells for ( NSX owners are generally smart and detailed individuals just like the NSX it self). If the timing belt and belts and H20 pump needs replaced that is approximately $1350 at the dealership. Good luck!!

If I were you, iId insist on a thorough prepurchase inspection by a qualified NSX mechanic . Although the srs light and pulling to the right could be just an electrical glitch and an alignment issue, I'd wonder if there had been any accidents (?).

This is a pic from the White '92 listed on Ebay. The aftermarket amp I referred to above looks just like this. Anyone know what this box is next to the CD changer?

Attachments

• Amp.jpg
    Amp.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 103
midlifecrisis said:
Questions:

1. Taking into account the additional costs, what would be a fair price for this car?
2. Has anyone had their stereo in this condition? Any idea what would cause this constant-volume white noise from all speakers?
3. From the picture, can you tell if a stock spare tire would fit? The brake disks are drilled (not sure if aftermarket or modified), but it has the stock calipers.
4. Causes for SRS light to stay on?
5. Could these rims adversely affect the condition of other steering and suspension components?
Congrats Rick, I hope everything works out. Let me do my best to help:

1. I think it's difficult to gauge a fair price without knowing everything that must be done to this car. However, I have seen several similar condition NSXs go for around $22K - $25K. I'd say you're definitely in the ballpark of fairness.

2. The stock Bose amp has known problems. Do some searching and you can see about getting it repaired. For me, it wasn't even an option because I prefer better audio than the stock system has to offer - I went aftermarket.

3. The stock spare looks like it will fit. A lot of people remove the spare entirely for the weight savings - AAA is usually the common alternative. :smile:

4. The SRS is basically your airbag deployment system. I believe it stands for Supplementary Restraint System (or something like that). Either you have a bad wire, or part of the system is malfunctioning. Check the service manual - as I remember the SRS stuff is near the beginning.

5. Other than not being very ascetically pleasing (IMO :wink:), I don't think your wheels are going to hurt anything by being there. However, you may notice performance, rubbing, and/or TCS issues depending on wheel + tire size, wheel + tire width, wheel weight, etc. Check out the FAQ here and here. You'll also find a lot of information pertaining to this throughout the forum.

Of course, you could always shoot nsxtasy a PM to get ALL the answers. :wink: :biggrin:

midlifecrisis said:
This is a pic from the White '92 listed on Ebay. The aftermarket amp I referred to above looks just like this. Anyone know what this box is next to the CD changer?

telephone unit

midlifecrisis said:
Spare tire?
Sold only on the wheel. $900-1000 new, but you can probably find a second-hand one for a couple hundred bucks from someone who installed a big brake kit.

midlifecrisis said:
Front wheel well cowlings?
Look the cost up in the parts section of the FAQ or on a parts website like Delray Acura.

midlifecrisis said:
Alignment?
$100-200.

midlifecrisis said:
Stereo fix?
Contact NSXprime username BrianK.

midlifecrisis said:
From the picture, can you tell if a stock spare tire would fit? The brake disks are drilled (not sure if aftermarket or modified), but it has the stock calipers.
Then it should fit.

PM sent.

Thanks for the info NSXTACY! I've sent BRIANK a PM on getting the stock unit repaired. Another option of course would be to go with a new aftermarket unit.

For those of you who have upgraded the sound system, how much can I expect to pay for a middle-of-the-road system (with install)?

The SRS light would concern me. That has the potential to be an expensive repair. Try to find out why the light is on before you make a final deal.

Unfortunately that requires removal of the console and stereo. Plugging into the computer didn't send back a reading, so the next step in the book is to start disconnecting wire harnesses and checking for specific voltages here and there.

I was wondering who was going to get that car. :smile: I don't have the cash but I thought that if it went in the 23000 range it was a good buy even if you had to put a couple grand into it. I personally think it's a very attractive price. I'd off those wheels on ebay, there's sure to be someone who'd love to get some Advan's, for what car though I don't know with those sizes.

If you put $10k into the car, it should look and perform well. You should be able to get your money back on resale. The NSX is now out of production, and the price shouldn't drop significantly in the near future.

midlifecrisis said:

It looks like a Transceiver from an old motorola
phone.

Last edited:
Well, I brought her home tonight!

Reminds me of my bachelor days; bringing home a smokin-hot babe I just met, giddy as a schoolboy, yet a little apprehensive as to what baggage she might be carrying. The next few weeks will reveal alot, but for now, I think I'll just watch her while she sleeps in quiet awe.

Cheers!

xsn said:
The SRS light would concern me. That has the potential to be an expensive repair. Try to find out why the light is on before you make a final deal.

As an ex Acura Service Manager I could not agree more. Get that SRS light diagnosed 1st and negotiate a new price that coincides with the repair.

midlifecrisis said:
Well, I brought her home tonight!

Reminds me of my bachelor days; bringing home a smokin-hot babe I just met, giddy as a schoolboy, yet a little apprehensive as to what baggage she might be carrying. The next few weeks will reveal alot, but for now, I think I'll just watch her while she sleeps in quiet awe.

Cheers!
Congratulations! She's a beautiful girl to have on your arm, and her intelligence and poise will knock your socks off. :biggrin:

Back