91 NSX or 96 840i?

I was wondering which would you recommend? a 96 bmw 840 with 65k miles or a 91 nsx auto with 35k miles? They are for similar prices...I dont need a 5spd nsx so dont start that they are better
smile.gif

See I love Bmws...my first 2 cars were/are still Bmws, but I love the NSX too...
confused.gif

I made up my mind to sell/trade the prelude I just bought 99 w/ 35k miles) and get either an 8 or a Nex; and use my 6 as my daily along with the new car...

Opinions? thoughts?

------------------
Auraraptor

1999 Honda Prelude "Mina" (Should be the new daily driver)
1998 BMW 750iL "Katrina" Still the daily driver)
1997 NSX "Nina"
1982 BMW 633CSi "Jessica"

Not even close. Get the NSX. Heck, even BMW technicians stay away from the 800 series. The NSX gives you more power, more beauty, and more reliability.

yeah, but BMW techs also say stay away from the 7 series; but mine has never given my a problem; and I drive the crap out of it
biggrin.gif
, and have since I got it when I started to drive....I hear the 96+ got the updatd M62 v8 which is more reliable; so I assume the same for the 8.....

...but really gets me is the ugly (IMO) shifter in the auto; can it be changed? I dont care if it costs $500-1000; It really needs to be changed; it looks like the one in a frikin toyota camry--->not cool for sports car; my prelude has a nicer shifter---> again not cool for the nsx.

Also do all autos have the pesudo sport up and downshift lever I once read about in the nsxs?

again thanks for the help....btw how is depreciation on the 91 autos going? will I be able to sell it in 2 years for nearly the same $?

The 840 is a good car, but too heavy for my taste. Also, in my eyes, it looks a lot more dated than the NSX.

However, considering that you already have an NSX in your stable, I would go with the 8 series.

At the end of the day though, you should choose whichever lights your fire more.

[This message has been edited by 8000RPM (edited 24 September 2002).]

I think only the 97 840s have the less problematic engine. The warranties of some (all?) 95s and 96s were extended to cover the engine problems.

I think the 840 is a very nice car. (and the pillarless look with the windows down is nice) It is heavy and initial acceleration doesn't feel all that great. However, stomp on the gas at 90mph and the car will move. And the ride is rock solid at 100mph+++.

I'd be careful on a 96. Just my 2 cents.

They're two entirely different kinds of cars. One is a heavy, grand touring car. The other is a nimble, high-performance sports car. What kind of car do you want to be driving on an everyday basis?

Sheesh, dump the 7 series and get the 8. Probably the best looking BMW ever. Since you've already got an NSX, get the 8 and if it ever breaks down (and they tend to), drive the NSX till it's fixed. That's sorta what I'm doing, i.e., using the BMW as a daily driver, and when it's suffering downtime, I drive the NSX. Well, I drive the NSX on weekends too...

99 NSX-Z SC (360 RWHP)
95 Dinan S3 M3 (338 RWHP)

I would never sell the 7. she is my first car and my baby. I learned to drive on her. I love her more than the nsx..so its logical I would sell the nsx before I ever even thought of selling her. And its hard for me to admit that, I really love my nsx.
redface.gif

anyway, thanks for the tip on the 840, is relaiblity high on 97 850s as well?

ohh just wondering, how differnet is the clutch and shifter in the s2000 compared to the 6spd nsx? does it feel the same going threw gears? is there alot of horizontal 'space' between the gears like in a bmw or is it almost nonexistant like in the nsx (where if you arnt paying attention/going too fast/ ignoring the syncros/ being really dumd it is easy to miss the gear...what am I saying you gotta relly be dumb to do that...I havent yet and I learned on my nex...but to be fair I missed gears everywhere when I drove a BMW, cuz of wider the horizontal space..anyone know what I an talking about? or am I just sounding really stupid right know..its late I have to werite a blooy paper for tomorrow and now I am rambling..anyway please help, with the clutch thing, I should ahve this paper done soon hopefully
rolleyes.gif

I have an 8 and an auto NSX. The 8 is almost as fast, is quieter and corners very well. The interior is nicer and has more room.
The NSX has been totally problem free and the 8 has had a few problems, mostly batteries (it won't start),but is not as bad as people think. Most techs would just perfer to work on other BMWs because they are easier to understand and time is money to the techs. There is a forum at bimmer.org that is as good as this forum.

ive always loved the 8 series and would still like to have one ...i think its still a good looking car and u dont see too many of them which reminds me of the nsx

hmmm just 3 things I asked earlier and am wondering:

what is the shift qualities of s2ks compared to the nsx?

Does anyone know what I ment by "horizontal space" above in my post; am I right about it?

Can you change the shifter design in an Auto nsx? I mean it is really ugly.

[This message has been edited by Auraraptor (edited 27 September 2002).]

Originally posted by Auraraptor:
what is the shift qualities of s2ks compared to the nsx?

Does anyone know what I ment by "horizontal space" above in my post; am I right about it?

The S2K gearbox is even tighter than the NSX by far. There is almost no play in the shift lever and the gears are extremely close together. Compared to the NSX, you will find that the S2K is in gear well before you expect it -- with throws maybe 1/2 as long. The lever also has a very connected feel to the gearbox and you can feel every subtle movement and vibration of the gearboxes's components.

I dont recall anything worth mentioning about the clutch. It just works. OK I think I was too mesmerized by the shifter!
smile.gif

Overall, I found the S2K very easy to drive. My only complaint was that the engine note at 6-9KRPM is very mechanical (noisy) and not melodious like the NSX.

[This message has been edited by JoeSchmoe (edited 27 September 2002).]

Back