91 NSX opportunity under 20k... perfect but faded paint.

A buddy of mine has came across a 1991 Red w/blk top NSX 100k mi in VA

Perfect mechanically. not in snap ring range
90k serviced completed and new clutch.

Basiclly the car is mechanically perfect... interior is perfect.
But it seems the car has been keep outdoors for 10+ years and now the red paint and black top is toasted. Was a daily driver.

I've search the boards but couldn't find any comparisions.
He is asking under 20k but I would assume 18-20k is a fair price considering repaint is 5k?

Please express your opinions..... thanks in advance.

If the paint is in that bad of condition, I seriously doubt the mechanicals were taken care of throughout the life of the car. Just because the 90k service has been done and a new clutch was recently installed does not mean it wasn't neglected the rest of the time. But you never know. Get it checked out by a mechanic. I could be wrong.

i've read on prime that a good paint job can cost upwards to 10k. but that maybe an outdated price. also, if the owner has receipts ask for them. a 10 year old nsx without a garage or car cover? that doesnt' sound right?? unless he is really rich and truly dedicated it as a daily driver.

sub 20k nsx's are borderline C/D rating.

ps. if the seller is asking 10-14k.. and you dont' want it.. i'll take it. i'm 2 states above VA. =)

GL

Last edited:
People should be cautious to knock the car that is 'rough' on the outside. I remember reading about a REALLY rough (i.e.-dented panels, food all over the inside, etc.) NSX down in the south that was mechanically perfect but visually a turd. The dealer said the guy always kept up all of the maintenance but was very wealthy and did not care about the outside that much. So the car was a mechanical jewel with a rough exterior. Just a thought.

eek

i dont know. whats the point of having a car that looks like poo.

I thin kthat guy down south is the exception to the rule and not the rule it self.

If you find the exception then go for it.

I think there are better deals out there. Just gota wiat and check on them every day. Do you home work and you'll get the car.

If the paint is as jacked up as you say it is, you'll be spending 30k for the car in reality.

For 20K, i would rather enjoy...

S2K
E36(95-99) M3
JRSC 5th gen prelude
99 (sc) cobra if you enjoy domestics

NSEXCESS said:
If the paint is as jacked up as you say it is, you'll be spending 30k for the car in reality.

For 20K, i would rather enjoy...

S2K
E36(95-99) M3
JRSC 5th gen prelude
99 (sc) cobra if you enjoy domestics

but none of the cars you listed are close to an nsx. :wink:

and he said the seller is willing to sell it for sub 20k. i think its a sound investment IF the car is in great condition<--- i don't mean what YOU think the condition it is in... therefore, get it checked out by an nsx guru.

(1) 91 nsx, color of choice (GPW anyone? :biggrin: ), 90k service done, new clutch, "supposedly" maintained very well, perfect interior. all for less then 30k. that's a great price all things considering.

keep us updated.

First things first....
There is no such thing as a PERFECT 15 yr old interior used 90000+ miles. They just don't exist.

I live in Northern VA. I am not an NSXpert but used to be an ASE certified mechanic (Porsches mostly). I would be happy to go look at the car for you if it's not to far away.

Depending on how bad the paint really is it could be a good purchase. It all depends what you want to do with the car. If you are going to drive it regularly, the paint may be no big deal. If you want a garage queen I would look somewhere else.

It sounds good to me. The $10K+ paintjobs are for show cars or color changes. A true color change is ubber-expensive. A decent respray to factory colors could be had for $2-$3K, or less if your buddy knows how to turn a wrench.

If it is as mechanically sound as you imply, and it can be had for sub-$20K, then I think it's worth a serious look. If you decide to pass, I'd appreciate some contact info for the seller.

If you like fixer-uppers, then go for it.

If you're looking for a car to wide-body...GO FOR IT

If you're just looking for just an NSX, and not to fix the paint, or mess with it, then wait. Patience is key when looking for "that" car.

Don't settle, you'll regret it.

Find out for sure when the services were completed. As you probably already know, time is a factor as to when you need services done as well. Also, check tires. Find out when the clutch was changed out as well. If it looks like you won't be spending any other money other than paint for the next few years, AND you do not want to change the color of the car, I would buy it.

Perhaps you can buff out most of the paint issues. If you can't perhaps you just need to have the roof, top and rear decklid sprayed?

We need some pics

nsxexotic, wheres your update on the nsx? if you aren't interested and the seller is still selling, give us some details, because a few of us, including me want to look into this nsx.

Back