91 NSX for 19K good Deal or not?

Looking at a NSX for myself I run across this 91 with 56k miles on it. This car looks great it is very stock nothing has been done to it TB WP Hose etc. That can be good and that can be bad. also has Salvage from a ditch adventure Owner says it was only metal work no frame damage.
I figure 2500 to update the repairs 2000 for rims better than stock and transportation from NJ 2100 so is it really a good deal????

classic story car my friend. buyer beware. do a PPI if you are really really interested. but most wouldn't admit to frame damage even if it did have damage so have it inspected.

Run.

If you're thinking about using the car as a platform for a race vehicle...maybe. Anything outside of that purpose, my advice would be to wait, save your money, and buy the NSX you really want and deserve.

Good deal for the seller or buyer? Deferred maintenance will likely costs your $2000+. Better wait for a well maintain example for high 20k with no salvage title. A poor cond. NSX will always be depressed in valuation. Salvage title is the deal breaker.

Looking at a NSX for myself I run across this 91 with 56k miles on it. This car looks great it is very stock nothing has been done to it TB WP Hose etc. That can be good and that can be bad. also has Salvage from a ditch adventure Owner says it was only metal work no frame damage.
I figure 2500 to update the repairs 2000 for rims better than stock and transportation from NJ 2100 so is it really a good deal????

I think you need to ask why it has a salvage title if there was no frame damage...thats a lot of body damage to with no frame damage to salvage a car

Yeah, ask foe pictures, copy of body shop repair order, etc., also if the next thing he tells you is he only drove it on Sundays to church with his grandmother..... run, don't walk.

Thanks for the info I am going out for a run see ya.

I could never ever recommend purchasing a car with a salvage title unless you will be using it for the track only. For a car to be declared salvaged, the cost of repair must be above the book value minus the salvage value. For example: A car has book value 20k, salvage value 3k. If the car incurs 18k worth of damage, the car will be salvaged. The insurance company will pay you 20k, get 3k back from salvaging the car for a total loss of 17k. This is less than the loss they would take after paying 18k to repair the vehicle. Thats basically the jist of it. Of course, there are other reasons such as frame damage, air bags on older vehicles, etc, that make the car unsafe to drive, even if repair may be possible.

so.. the car either had a LOT of damage, or had something bad happen like bent 'frame'

I could never ever recommend purchasing a car with a salvage title unless you will be using it for the track only. For a car to be declared salvaged, the cost of repair must be above the book value minus the salvage value. For example: A car has book value 20k, salvage value 3k. If the car incurs 18k worth of damage, the car will be salvaged. The insurance company will pay you 20k, get 3k back from salvaging the car for a total loss of 17k. This is less than the loss they would take after paying 18k to repair the vehicle. Thats basically the jist of it. Of course, there are other reasons such as frame damage, air bags on older vehicles, etc, that make the car unsafe to drive, even if repair may be possible.

so.. the car either had a LOT of damage, or had something bad happen like bent 'frame'

So happens to the car after the insurance company declare a car is salvaged due to the cost to fix the damage is greater than the value of the car? I thought the car would then go to a junk yard. How can someone pay more to fix the car and then tries to sell it for less? Unless a mechanic himeself bought the car and fix himself for less, correct? This is something I always wanted to understand.

So happens to the car after the insurance company declare a car is salvaged due to the cost to fix the damage is greater than the value of the car? I thought the car would then go to a junk yard. How can someone pay more to fix the car and then tries to sell it for less? Unless a mechanic himeself bought the car and fix himself for less, correct? This is something I always wanted to understand.

yes the insurance company will sell it to a breaker or a junk yard. The original owner can typically buy it back for the salvage value, which is generally much less than the actual salvage value. for example, I totalled my 93 UR S4 about 1.5 years ago. I got 11.5k from insurance (I only paid 10k :) ), bought the car back at salvage value $800, and recently resold it for $2,500. It would make no sense to buy the car back and fix it then sell it for less unless you could do all the worh yourself.

that 80% rule is used by many companies as well.

Beware... eeks.....

Back