91 NSX for $15k JH4NA1158MT002553

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119347

Just wondering what everyone thought about this car? Does anyone know anything about this car? It looked somewhat clean when it had the supercharger but looks like it was removed without any hesitation. Was it stolen? interior looks like its been abused but can be an easy fix. Is this worth looking into? or should i just move on to others? At what price would you be wiling to pay?

Re: 91 NSX for $15k

I was going to check out the car yesterday. As i was about to leave to take the local transit to meet up with him, he called me and told me that he wouldn't be able to show me the car, because as he was driving it on the highway (te4sting the vehicle - hitting red line), the check engine light went on. He said he believes its a o2 sensor, however, i believe there might be more problems with the car. i might hold off on it for now and do more research.

however, id like to know more about this car the same with above. any thoughts for those who do know about this nsx?
my .02 cents.

Last edited:

I was going to check out the car yesterday. As i was about to leave to take the local transit to meet up with him, he called me and told me that he wouldn't be able to show me the car, because as he was driving it on the highway (te4sting the vehicle - hitting red line), the check engine light went on. He said he believes its a o2 sensor, however, i believe there might be more problems with the car. i might hold off on it for now and do more research.

however, id like to know more about this car the same with above. any thoughts for those who do know about this nsx?
my .02 cents.

The check engine light came on when I was riding in (just before test driving) the 91 I bought. The (then) owner shut the engine off (as we changed drivers) and it did NOT come back on during my drive. A year later it started coming on irregularly and new O2 sensor fixed it.

The check engine light came on when I was riding in (just before test driving) the 91 I bought. The (then) owner shut the engine off (as we changed drivers) and it did NOT come back on during my drive. A year later it started coming on irregularly and new O2 sensor fixed it.

wait wait wait... are we talking about your car here, or the selling car here? If you are speaking on behalf of your nsx, what type of upgrades or modifications have you done with the car? however if you are talking about an experience that you have encounter with your own nsx with the check engine light, it may not necessarily justify it can be the same situation with this nsx we are talking about. Again it may possibly be the o2, and MORE. Plus this nsx has been supercharged and used up a bit. NE more inputs?

Last edited:
Im in the same boat...For 15k it looks like a good deal. It will need new seats, steering wheel,floor mats, door panel, under-steering wheel panel, repaint rear bumper, and then a Major engine, int and ext detail. Those parts arent the problem. What im curious about is if the engine has been harshly abused since it was formally supercharged. Anyone personally know the owner?

Im in the same boat...For 15k it looks like a good deal. It will need new seats, steering wheel,floor mats, door panel, under-steering wheel panel, repaint rear bumper, and then a Major engine, int and ext detail. Those parts arent the problem. What im curious about is if the engine has been harshly abused since it was formally supercharged. Anyone personally know the owner?

In one post you summed up why $15k really ISN'T a good deal for this car.

Haha well for me, the parts i listed would be changed out and upgraded anyways to Recaros etc etc..and most likely the car would get a new lip kit all around and be repainted.

I wouldn't touch this car with a 10' pole. This car looks like is has been poorly kept and that's an understatement. Interior thrashed, exterior in poor shape, engine compartment dirty, etc., etc. Do you think the service has been done properly or even decently and documented? Likely not.

Anyone who buy's this car is in for mucho trouble and need have a deep pockets to fix all the likely abuse and neglect.

this car is in very poor shape. i would suggest you go searching for how much these interior trim pieces cost because once you find out, it will give you a heart attack. they are not even salvageable such as the outer foil peeling off, because they are completely missing. plus i would ask for the engine pictures, also the rear valence that works with the center exhaust is from Taitec and that cost $1900 and if the timing belt/ water pump had not been changed. the service cost around $1200-$1500. not to mention all the paint work that this vehicle needs. you will put around another $8K easy into this car just to make it look decent.

edit: just saw the engine bay pictures, and holy crap that harness has been hacked to hell, take a look at what a clean nsx engine bay looks like to get an idea how this one compares.

Last edited:
i agree, the car is in great need of care, but thats why its priced accordingly. it would be perfect for someone who wanted to take their time investing in an NSX, having it quietly rest in the garage while carefully planning and purchasing according to their own schedule. i would do a ground up restoration by taking it all apart in my garage, then making a list of what can be cleaned, saved, rebuilt and replaced. the best part is if the car was never wrecked, which for me is the MAIN concern. i would replace or rebuild anything that can be unbolted from the car any day instead of massaging aluminum or pounding a frame back to life. in the end, you'll have the satisfaction of literally knowing every single bolt and detail about the car while learning along the way.....not to mention another one saved :cool:

i agree, the car is in great need of care, but thats why its priced accordingly. it would be perfect for someone who wanted to take their time investing in an NSX, having it quietly rest in the garage while carefully planning and purchasing according to their own schedule. i would do a ground up restoration by taking it all apart in my garage, then making a list of what can be cleaned, saved, rebuilt and replaced. the best part is if the car was never wrecked, which for me is the MAIN concern. i would replace or rebuild anything that can be unbolted from the car any day instead of massaging aluminum or pounding a frame back to life. in the end, you'll have the satisfaction of literally knowing every single bolt and detail about the car while learning along the way.....not to mention another one saved :cool:

Do you own a car museum of something? Are your serious? May I ask how many current restoration vehicles you currently own. If you do, I think that's great, but for the average Joe Blow, they could never restore a car like this.

Looks like a fair amount of work at a commensurate price. Lots of part could be sourced from the fine folks on this forum. If you don't mind investing some time and fairly mechanically apt you could have a nice project and a decent car in the end. Best of luck with your decision.

Do you own a car museum of something? Are your serious? May I ask how many current restoration vehicles you currently own. If you do, I think that's great, but for the average Joe Blow, they could never restore a car like this.
of course im serious. not everyone can afford to plop down a chunk of change all at once for a B+ car or even a C car, let alone pristine. but there's still some satisfaction and fulfillment left in knowing you've restored a car that HAD potential to full actual realization. what better car to do it than an NSX if you love honda and had the confidence, patience, intelligence and balls to get your hands dirty and wrench. money is a totally separate and relative entity. you could be a millionaire and still want to do this just for the love. research and education can still transform the "average Joe Blow" and saying he can "never restore a car like this" only perpetuates an elitist attitude held by some of a few NSX owners. there is an honest dignity in the "built not bought" mantra. however, that doesnt mean you are any less deserving if you shelled out $70K for the best example money can buy. you worked hard for that money, $70K or $15K. its all relative.

i love this car...im working towards getting my first one within a year. as much as i pay homage to a "car like this" everyday i log on to prime, it is in the end still, just a car made up of magical nuts and bolts that i bet even "joe" could figure out with the right tools.

It's $10K below what the "A" grade cars are selling for.

It more that reasonable price, it would only take a few grand to make it a great daily driver. I bet it sells in a matter of days to somebody who will give it a good home.

I could find you ten people who would buy it, polish it and flip it if this car was on the east coast.

of course im serious. not everyone can afford to plop down a chunk of change all at once for a B+ car or even a C car, let alone pristine. but there's still some satisfaction and fulfillment left in knowing you've restored a car that HAD potential to full actual realization. what better car to do it than an NSX if you love honda and had the confidence, patience, intelligence and balls to get your hands dirty and wrench. money is a totally separate and relative entity. you could be a millionaire and still want to do this just for the love. research and education can still transform the "average Joe Blow" and saying he can "never restore a car like this" only perpetuates an elitist attitude held by some of a few NSX owners. there is an honest dignity in the "built not bought" mantra. however, that doesnt mean you are any less deserving if you shelled out $70K for the best example money can buy. you worked hard for that money, $70K or $15K. its all relative.

i love this car...im working towards getting my first one within a year. as much as i pay homage to a "car like this" everyday i log on to prime, it is in the end still, just a car made up of magical nuts and bolts that i bet even "joe" could figure out with the right tools.

Then go for it. I had to tinker with the aesthetics in mine after I bought it (though nothing quite as extensive as the subject car) and there’s another level of satisfaction once your car is shiny-perfect that you were the one that made it so.
Just go into it eyes open. Make darned sure that the car itself is good and worth the while – straight chassis and good motor. Another thing: you just wait long enough, any and every part you need will appear in the parts section here … unless you need a window visor or a ’91 keyless system.

I'm probably a case-study in progress for this type of situation.

I did not give much more than that for my NSX. At the time of purchase it had 213,000 miles on it, was throwing five difference CEL codes, smoked when I parked it from multiple oil leaks, is in the snap-ring range, had cat-stains on the paint, and by now I'm sure you get the point.

If I had taken it to Acura, and said "fix it" I would have been out probably $7-8k in repair bills. However, 6 months, and maybe $2k later (prolly $800 of that is labor for things I didn't have time to do myself). and a a combination of my own labor and a little "Barn Man" help on the cam plugs and valve adjustment and I have a solidly running, shiny-when-clean NSX.

The short story, as someone mentioned above: If you've never touched a wrench before, and/or are not loaded, it's probably not as good of a deal as it looks. If, however, you are fairly mechanically inclined, it may be a cheap ticket to a nice ride.

Last edited:
Back