91 5spd 70k mil worth?

Hello:

New guy here. My brother owns a NSX for 6 years now and he is about to give it up. Me and my wife is interested in the car.

This is Car spec
91 red 5spd with 70k miles
Mostly stored and then he used it everyday last year 2002
Not show condidition...
There is a scratch on paint and the front bumper have lot of rock chip.

Need Service.
AC not cold.
Window molding need replacement

New clutch installed at 35k miles when he purchased it 6 years ago. New window regulators just installed last year.

Alpine amp and subwoofer and speakers hooked up to to OEM stereo.

Everything else on the car is stock.

looked at KBB.com
trade in value at 20K
private sale value at 25K
retail value at 28K

What do you think the value should be. My brother wants 25K for it. what is a reasonable counter offer?

Thanks

Last edited:
$30k+/- $2k seems to be the going rate for a very nice condition '91 with high miles (like your brothers), not in snap ring range and all service up to date.

To elaborate on the last 2 items:
Service: The 90k service, timing belt, and water pump are over due based on age and runs about $2,000 if memory serves me (and it usually doesn't).

Snap ring: If you don't know about this do some searches here. It's not a show stopper, but does reduce the value of the car $1-$2k IMHO.

Good luck,
Todd

KBB is not accurate for the pricing of used NSXs. It's way off base.

The FAQ is pretty accurate. Go here:
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/BuySell/pricing.htm

As is, this is a "D" category car, perhaps even an "F" category car because of the A/C problem (see below).

The maintenance will cost $800-1000 for a complete 30K/60K type service, and another $1000-1400 for the replacement of the timing belt and water pump. I recommend that you take care of these services.

The windshield molding only costs around $200 to fix. This is a no-brainer - just do it.

The A/C could be a problem. People have paid anywhere from $1K to $5K for A/C repairs. Unless you're willing to live without A/C, you might want to get an estimate on the repair before you agree to a purchase price.

In my opinion - based also by the information in the FAQ - I would say that $24-25K is probably a fair price if the A/C repair turns out to be something minor ($2K or less to repair). If the A/C repair is going to cost $5K to fix, then the car is probably worth more like $22-23K.

Note that this is pretty consistent with tpearsall's estimate; take his $30K to start, subtract $2200 for the maintenance needed, $200 for the windshield, and another $2K for the A/C repair, and you're close to $25K, without any adjustment for whether or not it's in the snap ring range.

HTH

Joel said:
The A/C may just need recharging.

Doubtful. An A/C system in good condition shouldn't leak. If it needs recharging, at a minimum, there's a leak somewhere, and the leak should be found and repaired before recharging it again.

Sorry, but my first question is why are you having to haggle with your brother like you just visited a used car lot? It seems weird to have to counter offer your own blood, but then again what do I know.:rolleyes: I'm sure your brother would get some estimates for the repairs, or at least let you borrow it and do it yourself so you don't go into it blind. I wouldn't think your brother would want to give you a crappy deal because he would have to hear about it for the rest of his life.:D

jlindy said:
Sorry, but my first question is why are you having to haggle with your brother like you just visited a used car lot? It seems weird to have to counter offer your own blood, but then again what do I know.:rolleyes: I'm sure your brother would get some estimates for the repairs, or at least let you borrow it and do it yourself so you don't go into it blind. I wouldn't think your brother would want to give you a crappy deal because he would have to hear about it for the rest of his life.:D

True- Just want to be fair not to haggle. didn't want to spend the money and could possiblity buy a much better condidion car.

Yes you are right I should just take that car for a while for a test ownership and get estimate on maintence and repairs.

Tranny out of snap ring range it is # 1001898

woo hoo........

Back