90+ Laps at Barbers Motorsports Park with Chin Motorsports **PICS**

Well, I just got back home from an incredible event at Barbers Motorsports Park in Alabama, hosted by Chin Motorsports (www.chinmotorsports.com). For those that are unfamiliar with Barbers, it truly is a country club of motorsports. Everything about Barbers is top notch, and if you ever get a chance to visit or better yet, race there, jump all over the opportunity. http://www.barbermotorsports.com/index.html

About Chin Motorsports
These guys did an excellent job putting on this event that they call "The Ultimate Sunday Drive", and rightfully so. The event was very well organized and I got ALOT of track time. I had 208 miles on the ticker at the event which equates to approximately 90 laps!! What a day!! :D This was my first track day in a car, although I have raced motorcycles for several years previously. I signed up for the track day as a novice driver which gets you your own instructor for the ENTIRE DAY.
omg.gif
I couldn't believe that when they were pairing us off. The track day fee was $330 and the instructor fee was $50. I had hours upon hours and lap after lap with a top notch instructor for a mere $50. The instruction I recieved alone was worth the entire price of admission and then some. Jeff Miner was my "personal" instructor for the day...man what a screamin' deal that is for $50. He's a veteran racer who certainly knows his way around Barbers, and he got me up to speed very quickly. Jeff is a great guy and I can't say enough good things about him. :D The personalized instruction that Chin offers is a superb deal and I urge anyone to check it out. I had so much fun today that I now have a perma-grin attached to my face. :D

The Cars
If that's not enough, you wouldn't believe the roster of cars that showed up for this event. Luckily for those of you who didn't make it, I took LOTS of pics. :D Here's what I saw today:
omg.gif

Porsche Carrera GT
Porsche GT3
Several 911s
Several 944s
Several NSXs
Several Corvettes
Several Vipers
Several Lotus Esprits
Several Miatas
Ferrari 360 Challenge
Ferrari 430
Noble M400
Lotus Elise
Lamborghini Diablo
Several BMW M3s
Mazda RX-7
Toyota MR2
350Zs
Some Prototypes

The bottom line is there was some killer cars in attendance. ***PICS*** All of the images I took are located at http://www.mr2board.com/files/misc/barbers. The pics I copied to the web server are 800x600. If anyone wants any of the images in hi-res, please let me know.

The MR2
I took the non-turbo, all stock, dialy-driver MR2 to the event today (just getting warmed up for my future NSX). It was a blast to take around the track. The car was very neutral and far exceeded my performance expectations. I need to change the sway bars and get it setup to oversteer a bit more easily, but overall, for a completely stock 11 year old car, I was VERY impressed. It ran like a champ the entire day and the car itself was completely unphased by the event. I did manage to do an uneventful 360 in turn 2/3 (don't brake while cornering, duh) and a little squirrelly in turn 5 when we were testing the cars limits there. At the end of the day, I had a very good feel for what the car will do and can't wait until the next track event.

Nitto NT555
Prior to today, I have only street driven on the Nitto NT555. I was pleasantly suprised at how predictable and consistent those tires performed at the track. We were abusing those tires all day long and they just took the abuse like there was nothing to it. They gained my confidence very quickly at the track and they have been a good "daily driver" tire. I have been a big fan of the Toyo T1-S (now T1-R), but the Nittos scored major points today.

You know, I'm not sure I can do a track day....
Anyone can get out there and benifit from a track day like this and you don't need a supercar to do it. Hell, there was a Ford Taurus out there today. :D Admittedly, that was kind of funny, but I can guarantee the guy was having a great time. I had a blast in my 130 HP MR2. A track day like that will help you learn what your car is capable of in a controlled and safe environment. It will make you a better driver, all while having a great time doing it.

Last edited:
I don't think i've ever seen Mark without his hat.. :)

x

RP-Motorsports said:
This is the first time that I have heard that instructors cost extra! :eek:

Usually they are included. BMW, Tracktime, SpeedtrialUSA, CGI, PCA etc etc

What is the cost of those other events and how much track time do you get? Do you have your own instructor with you the entire day with those clubs? Do you get so much track time that you get tired of driving before you even have to come in? I literally had blisters on my feet at the end of the day from driving so much. :D Since Barber's is so expensive to get, this was a one day event, but most Chin events are two days for the same amount. I'm not knocking any of the other event organizers by any means and I plan to attend other events as well, but Chin Motorsports is definitely offering a quality product at a reasonable price.

I am a satisfied client, my hand and feet were sore and I only drove for 140 miles of track driving. The last 2 hours I just watched because of fatique. Definitely worth the money! JeffA was my instructor and did a great job.

Last edited:
What a great event! I was pooped too by the end of the day. I ended up with around 80 Laps on the track yesterday. :biggrin: It was a scary site seeing the Viper stopped in the middle of the track in front of me when I came out of turn 6!!! :eek: He thanked me later for not killing both of us. I have some video of that and I will post it later this evening.

Last edited:
Ncturnal said:
What is the cost of those other events and how much track time do you get? Do you have your own instructor with you the entire day with those clubs? Do you get so much track time that you get tired of driving before you even have to come in? I literally had blisters on my feet at the end of the day from driving so much. :D Since Barber's is so expensive to get, this was a one day event, but most Chin events are two days for the same amount. I'm not knocking any of the other event organizers by any means and I plan to attend other events as well, but Chin Motorsports is definitely offering a quality product at a reasonable price.

I get about 130miles per day with these events. With the larger ones, BMW, Tracktime you do get an instructor ALL DAY, (included) We run Road America, and the last time I checked (5 years ago) it was about $14k a day to rent. The event cost is usually between $350-$375 for a 2 day weekend. The CGI events are $175 for a 1 day, and you get an instructor all day as well, and even more miles. I am tired at the end of all of these events.

Ken will probably chime in as well about all of the events that he does, as far as miles, cost, and instructors provided.

Ncturnal, and all, it was a great pleasure to have y'all participate. One of the things that makes Chin Motorsports events great is the quality people participating! :smile: It really was an excellent event!

As for whining by RP :rolleyes: , we should cut him some slack because he is really ignorant about how the format works and what the quality and quantity of instruction is. He doesn't realize that the CMS instructor is a one-on-one dedicated assignment. When he says 'instructor included all day', what he means is 'whenever your run group is on track all day'. He leaves out the fact that at most other typical track days, the instructor has multiple students, which splits their attention. That is only possible within a 'run-group' structure, which means that there are limitations and deadlines on your track time. Those deadlines and multi-student assignments don't exist at a CMS event. So, a CMS instructor is your exclusive private driving coach literally all day. He suggests he gets similar track mileage in a day, but overlooks that fact that you guys got all those laps and miles, and still didn't use all the available track time! He doesn't realize that the field is always capped at CMS events, to keep the field small and exclusive. You'll never find 100+ cars registered like at BMW/PCA events. It should be known that I instruct for many of those organizations in the SE region, so I have first hand knowledge, not speculation. Value is relative, and the old adage 'you get what you pay for' certainly applies here.

Please pardon the digression. This thread is about an excellent CMS track event at Barber Motorsports Park this past weekend. Let's not step on it with a discussion about instructor/track time value. RP, feel free to private me or email me (see my signature). Or, post another thread to continue this discussion.

Yes, it was a fantastic event. Here's another satisfied customer:
100_1682.sized.jpg

VBNSX said:
I don't think i've ever seen Mark without his hat.. :)
x
To clarify, in the photo above, the gentleman behind the wing of the formula car is not Mark B. In the photos above that, the yellow NSX #913 IS Mark B. He is a CMS member and a regular participant in our events, whenever he is seeking track time in the SE.

Also, in the photo above, the unique formula car and the MB G-wagon are owned by a fellow NSX owner!

I am NOT whining, I just stated that of all the events I have seen, a paid instructor is foreign to me. I NEVER said that a CMS event was bad. In fact it probably is worth the extra $50 to be at such a fine facility. I would pay it for that alone. I just think it is strange to "pay" for the instructor. They should just add it to the price, and say the instructor's are included. I will have to stick up for BMW instructors though. We get people like Memo Gidley, Reshard Spinard Sp?, and actual NSX instructors for NSX drivers, Viper instructors for Viper Drivers etc etc. Each instructor has only 2 students, and it does NOT matter, because when a students instructor is with the other student, he is in a classroom with people like Memo, or Reshard, and other qualified instructors, going over what happened in the last session.

I will have to try a Chin event out, and maybe instruct myself. I could use an extra $50 :biggrin:

RP-Motorsports said:
I am NOT whining, I just stated that of all the events I have seen, a paid instructor is foreign to me. I NEVER said that a CMS event was bad. In fact it probably is worth the extra $50 to be at such a fine facility. I would pay it for that alone. I just think it is strange to "pay" for the instructor. They should just add it to the price, and say the instructor's are included. I will have to stick up for BMW instructors though. We get people like Memo Gidley, Reshard Spinard Sp?, and actual NSX instructors for NSX drivers, Viper instructors for Viper Drivers etc etc. Each instructor has only 2 students, and it does NOT matter, because when a students instructor is with the other student, he is in a classroom with people like Memo, or Reshard, and other qualified instructors, going over what happened in the last session.

I will have to try a Chin event out, and maybe instruct myself. I could use an extra $50 :biggrin:

Ok, let me get this straight. Your only beef with the $50 is the way it's phrased? :confused: So if CMS instead said "instructors are included, but if you qualify, you get an experienced driver discount of $50 (since you wouldn't need the instructor)", and that would be ok, but adding an instructor fee of $50 is not ok?
dunno.gif

Ed: "It's a dog eat dog world out there.
Joe: "No man, you got it completely wrong. It's the other way around"

So basically, it's the EXACT same difference either way. Please pardon my confusion, but I'm failing to see your perspective on this one.
biggrin.gif

The bottom line for is this was an incredible event on all counts....outstanding facilities, outstanding track, amazing cars, friendly people, and my very own highly qualified personal instructor sitting in the passenger seat every last 208 miles I drove on the track that day. I can think of many things that have cost me a lot more than $380 that I didn't enjoy nearly as much (like my last IRS audit :eek:)
biggrin.gif

...of all the events I have seen, a paid instructor is foreign to me...
At a CMS event, all drivers pay a base track fee for the event. However, not everyone is assigned an instructor. We attract many highly experienced solo qualified drivers, and an instructor is not necessary. For entry-level drivers, CMS offers a well-structured, safe, proven novice program, and novice drivers pay a $50 surcharge to have a veteran instructor assigned. So, the cost to cover an instructor is not added into the base price, since not everyone gets an instructor.

have to stick up for BMW instructors though...
Thanks, myself and my wife (that'd be Maria :biggrin: ) are instructor qualified with 3 regional chapters of the BMWCCA.

actual NSX instructors for NSX drivers...
In case you live under a rock, the 'Chin' of Chin Motorsports is the president of the NSXCA... we have more NSX instructors than any other track time organization outside the NSXCA. And, of course, we routinely match instructors and students by car type...

I commented previously that I'm not going to step on this thread about the Barber event, so I won't post the long list of celebrity racers and winners from all classes that instruct/participate with CMS...

Last edited:
the nsxnut said:
...so I won't post the long list of celebrity racers and winners from all classes that instruct/participate with CMS...

Like DONYMO, winner of the Barber Motorsports Don-Mark Shootout! :biggrin:

DONYMO said:
Like DONYMO, winner of the Barber Motorsports Don-Mark Shootout! :biggrin:

Next time I tech your car, I'm pulling off a coil pack. :cool:

the nsxnut said:
Next time I tech your car, I'm pulling off a coil pack. :cool:

thats too easily found....

just pull a vac line or two off..... I SWEAR it popped off, cause he had just so much raw power :biggrin: :wink:

KODIAC said:
is that scottM's car??

Yes, indeed, like a cat with nine lives, it's back!
There were more NSXs (9) at this track event than anywhere outside of NSXPO! Plus, several more NSX owners that were driving race cars, like this one:
100_1737.sized.jpg

KODIAC said:
...cause he had just so much raw power :biggrin: :wink:

Hey, I do NOT have "so much raw power"! :smile:

You all know I have a low boost CTSC, which many, such as my buddy NetViper, have pointed out, is not all that impressive in the power dept.
I think my student's (John McCain) 97 NA-NSX is just as fast in the acceleration dept.

Back