9/10ths vs. 6/10ths

Over the years I’ve pondered a question that seems to be at the heart of being a car enthusiast, as well as one that has a lot of implications for the “more power” threads on this board. What is more fun/satisfying: driving a lesser powered car 9/10 or very fast car, say, 6/10? Now, if you can drive a Viper, GT3 or FI NSX at 9/10ths, this question is not for you. But most of us can’t come close to doing so and if we were to get behind the wheel of a turboed NSX, the go pedal would remain off the floor much of the time because other than in a straight line, the speeds are simply more than we can handle. I think this applies to both track and street driving. I currently race a MINI Cooper in Solo II, H Stock. With only about 108 RWHP, I can drive it flat out on most sections of a course and have a ball doing it. Would it be more fun to move to a car in A Stock that has double or triple the power? That is the question. I know some of you race both your NSX and lesser powered cars- I would be interested in your take on this.

My NSX, which I would rate about 8/10th to some of the faster cars out there, cars that i have raced against or drove, is quite satisfying to me (even if it is slower than some.)

For me, the answer would depend on the driving situation, track or street.

On the track, I would prefer to be the 9/10ths driver who is in true control of my vehicle.

On the street, I would rather be the 6/10ths driver and have the absolute HP monster car, because you can't use the HP regardess. The streets and highways would regulate my speed no matter how fast my car could potentially go.

I absolutely loved my Greddy turbo Integra GSR on the track, cause I could drive it 10/10ths, and that was equal to many drivers lap times with Mustang Cobra's, Camaro SS's, C4 Vettes, Supra TT's etc. They would go by me on the straights, by 3-4 lengths, and I would see them twitching under braking and through the corner and at track out, while my 2,600 275bhp car was in perfect control right back on their bumpers until the next straight! I had a guy in my advanced group do nothing but complain about his heavy over-powered, under-braked Viper all weekend long. Give me a light medium-powered car any day (like the NSX :D )

I've never driven a Miata but I have heard that it is exactly this axiom that makes it such a blast to drive. The limits are very low relative to more "conventional" sports cars but that just means you drive it flat out at less-than-scary speeds. Sounds like fun to me. :p

Eh, most of the cars I've driven are crap. Driving them at 9/10ths is lame. I did however get to drive a '00 911, at, say, maybe 4/10ths (lots of high speed straight line driving, and some gentle curves, but no "twists and turns") and it was a total blast.

The guys in our club with modded Integras R beat the shit out of their cars and have always a big smile afterwards on their faces (especialy when they have slightly better lap times than me with the X) - so it can't be that bad...

I don't want to spend much time at the track driving a car that isn’t significantly faster than I am. (but I'm talking the total package, of power, brakes and handling) While my race car was down I rented a spec Miata. A real blast in terms of close competition, but too slow to be very exciting on it's own. I'm not saying I belong in a car that's way over my head, but I get bored out there pretty fast if the speeds aren't high enough to keep the adrenalin up. That’s why I’d like to move up a couple classes in my car by building a larger displacement engine for it.

CokerRat said:
I've never driven a Miata but I have heard that it is exactly this axiom that makes it such a blast to drive. The limits are very low relative to more "conventional" sports cars but that just means you drive it flat out at less-than-scary speeds. Sounds like fun to me. :p

I love tracking my Miata and wouldn't exactly call it's limits very low. It probably has more cornering grip than the seemingly many NSX's shod with low end performance tires (ie. Kuhmo 712's). I do agree that driving flat out at less-than-scary speeds is a major plus. My old MKII NA MR2 was faster but I enjoy the Miata more because it is a more balanced car.

Most fun I ever had on the street was with my old Fiat X1/9. No power but beautiful balance. It was all about carrying speed when you were in the twisty bits. You ended up treating the throttle like a toggle switch even for normal driving. It would be boring on the track though. I also had an MG midget a long time ago. It was so slow and its limits were so low that not only were you floored all the time, but you were constantly drifting in the corners. Nobody even noticed. Now that is fun.

I have more fun in my MINI Cooper S when I'm driving around town in most circumstances.

There are not that many times and places in my area where I can really enjoy the NSX to the fullest.

-Jim

Back