~$70,000 - Turbo'd NSX or F355?

I'm going to buy another sports car toward the end of the year.

If I got an NSX, it'd be my 2nd. The first was a great car. Reliability was the best thing about it, probably the worst thing about the Ferrari. Being a great car, it was just not fast enough or exotic at all. If I get one, I'll most likely dump a lot of money into mods, including the engine buildup and turbo from SOS (not to mention cosmetics like wheels, NSX-R hood, etc...). So this ~$35-$40,000 NSX will end up being about $70k. I was thinking 1997-1998 with the removable roof.

MiamieNeSeX has an older one in the FS forum (modded out already, and I like most of the mods). Less $$$, but doesn't have the removable roof. With that much HP, is that car going to be reliable? Probably a killer fun car to drive. Something to consider. Wasn't in the equation until just now when I browsed that forum... :mad:

Otherwise, I'll wait until I find the right F355. Again, I'd prefer the targa top, but I'd pay more for a convertible if it was the right price and condition. Maintenance would be costly, but stock it has plenty of power and that exotic look. And it has the best exhaust note of any car I've driven (and can possibly afford).

Both cars would be fun and I'd be happy with either.

So between the cost of maintenance for the Ferrari, and the huge loss on mods to an NSX, is it going to be a wash as far as cost? I'll keep either car 5-6 years. At that time, the Ferrari will still resell for pretty close to what I pay as long as it's kept in perfect condition (less the cost of maintenance). The NSX will sell for probably a bit less than the car price before dumping money into mods (so I'd take a heavy hit on modding it).

Right now, I'm kinda leaning toward getting a clean F355 and keeping it stock except for maybe wheels.

Either way, I'll also get a Toyota Celica or Honda Civic to drive to and from work everyday. Something reliable I can put in employee parking and not worry about that also gets good gas mileage.

Any owners had both that could give some advice? Any ideas? Is the NSX turbo a bad mod?

i say get the nsx if you want to drive it and have fun or get the f-car if you want something to look at and only drive after you have checked four different weather reports.

the depreciation $ per mile on the nsx are so much lower and unless you do something crazy with the motor build the reliability should remain for the nsx.

also if you work on your own cars, any repair you need should be doable by yourself... get the f-car and when you go to sell anything you do yourself will likely devalue the car.

basically decide if you want a tuned up driving machine or a polished up garage decoration IMO...

I was just at the same nexxus and went with a NSX with a CTSC. Of course, my car in still in-transit from St Louis, but any day now. The performance standards are very close for the two cars I was comparing. However, the main difference for me was the cost of ownership. I calculated every 10K miles in the Ferrari was going to cost me $10K and it would be a fraction of that cost for an NSX. Ownership consisted of insurance, registration and depreciation. In addition, the cost for a NSX modified the way I wanted was nearly $10K less - see my purchase below:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89262

Over a 10 year period I calculated the differnce would be about the cost of my initial purchase. Ina ddition, this may be the nicest least pretentious forum I have had the privledge to be a member.

I hope that helps.

I say go for the f355 since you already had a NSX!! Both are great performing cars but nothing sounds better than a f355!!:smile:

If I got an NSX, it'd be my 2nd. The first was a great car. Reliability was the best thing about it, probably the worst thing about the Ferrari. Being a great car, it was just not fast enough or exotic at all.

Ummmm...ok...last time I checked the F355 wasn't exactly blowing the doors off an NSX.

So between the cost of maintenance for the Ferrari, and the huge loss on mods to an NSX, is it going to be a wash as far as cost?

I think (at least from what I've seen) the depreciation of the Ferrari will match the "huge loss on NSX mods" at this point.

I'll keep either car 5-6 years. At that time, the Ferrari will still resell for pretty close to what I pay as long as it's kept in perfect condition

Really? Are you sure? :confused:

Right now, I'm kinda leaning toward getting a clean F355 and keeping it stock except for maybe wheels.

"Being a great car, it was just not fast enough or exotic at all. " ??? So a stock F355 is that much faster than an NSX??? ?? Perhaps you should try an SC or Turbo on the NSX...you'd have a lot less headaches.

I really think you should drive an F355...then drive an NSX with an super charger.... that's my advice.

According to this website a 95 F355 Spyder has a 4.9 0-60 and 12.8 quarter mile. That is slightly slower than a 97 NSX-T 0-60 and slightly faster in the 1/4 mile.

Slight relatively inexpensive mods to the NSX will improve performance further at no cost to reliability. Add the CTSC and you have a clear winner, still far more reliable and drivable than the Fcar.

Having a Turbo'd NSX and driven a 355, the comparison is like comparing apples to komquats. They are so different on so many levels, you'd really have to prioritize you needs and wants first, then use that to make your decision. In terms of performance, a properly tuned turbo'd NSX will blow the pants off of the 355. The stock NSX could probably "hang" with a 355 stock. Once you add another 200 hp, it's just not even close. However, the catch with a turbo NSX is that I highly recommend that you have a competitent tuner (or even the original builder and tuner) available to you. Maybe not in your back yard, but accessible. For example, if you live at any sort of elevation change, then you'll need to get your car retuned when you pick it up. And depending on what type of controller it is using, that can be more difficult than you think. In terms of depreciation, I would say that a stock NSX and a stock 355 would be on par with each other. However, I think once you add a turbo to the NSX the value would fall much faster simply becuase it narrows your pool of potential buyers. Not that you couldn't sell it for the true market value, but you will need to work that much harder, whereas there seems to be a steady demand for Ferraris. On the maintenance side, it's a tale of two cities. Ferraris are legendary for their tales of constant maintenance. As I understand it, they nickel and dime you to death with small problems here and there. The same small problems that the NSX is so good with and where you probably won't have issues. However, with a Turbo'd NSX, if you don't rebuild the engine, depending on how much power you are pushing, there is potential for severe damage. Also, if the car is not tuned properly and detonation occurs, you could be in for some serious downtime and expensive repairs. I guess what I'm saying is that the turbo'd NSX is a wildcard based on so many different factors that there is a higher risk of major damage at some point in time. While the 355 will probably slow burn you with a series of hassling issues over time.

We basically had both cars at the same time(Except the Ferrari was a 360 spyder) and a Spa Yellow 2000 NSX-T w/CTSC. Driving both and comparing the "experience" with both - the NSX was the clear winner (That's why I still have it, and Enzo"s car is history!). If you didn't know which was supposed to be the "hallowed" sportscar, I would defy to pick the Ferrari -even w/o the $4000 - $5000 trips to see "Tony" for routine periodic maintence! :eek: Granted the Ferrari looks dynamite in the driveway, but the NSX was much more a drivers car on the road. Unless you are totally awed by the "mystic" of the "Prancing Horse" (or is it falling over backwards?), you will get a whole lot more bang for the buck in the NSX (and most of the public are just as awed by the "exotic" NSX, don't ya know? :biggrin: Hope I didn't "step on anyones' roses", but that was our experience!:cool: P.S. I think if you take care of it as it should be taken care of, you should see very little depreciation in the NSX - possibly appreciation, based on the "viperish" replacement Honda seems to be intend on bringing out someday!!:tongue:

Get the NSX and have it Comptech SC'd...safe, reliable, solid history, 50 state legal boost. Add intake/headers/exhaust/clutch/gears and very nice wheels. You will be happy w/ the power and the returns when you sell the car or part it out in the end.

Jeff

I love the F355 but have read that they have huge reliability problems. As for a comparison between the cars read what Doug Hayashi of NSX Files fame has to say about the cars - he owns both:

http://www.nsxfiles.com/fcar.htm

I've followed his and Wayne's exploits for years. Doug's most recent posts sound like he is having some big problems with the F355. However, he has also blown up the engine on the racing NSX several times.

I have heard that the 360 Modena is much more reliable though. Price wise it's probably out of the park for a few years.

I love the F355 but have read that they have huge reliability problems. As for a comparison between the cars read what Doug Hayashi of NSX Files fame has to say about the cars - he owns both:

http://www.nsxfiles.com/fcar.htm

I've followed his and Wayne's exploits for years. Doug's most recent posts sound like he is having some big problems with the F355. However, he has also blown up the engine on the racing NSX several times.

I have heard that the 360 Modena is much more reliable though. Price wise it's probably out of the park for a few years.

I'll vouche on the 355's problems. Dad had one, hated it after a while. I'm a huge Ferrari fan but that one was a bad child.

Do you want the super hot girl that will drive you mad, or do you want the girl that is 90%, still a babe, that you love to spend time with?

I think you are getting yourself into a major headache with the 355 without realizing it. Its going to wind up demanding to be a garage queen or else it will eat your wallet alive. Then you have this great car you can hardly ever drive. Its just very very demanding.

I don't know how old your last NSX was. But I would say my stock 2005 was much less exotic than it feels now with the addition of just two very simple mods: a CTSC and a top notch exhaust system. Its just a different animal. Add in some nice R body parts and its a different car. Not nearly as tame.

I drove it a full day today to all my appointments unlike most days when I drive one of my other cars. I just cannot believe how good it sounds, how hard it accelerates, and how many people ogle this thing. Within an 8 hour day no less than 7 people came to talk to me and ask me about it. I have yet to have anything break on this car. Most common question of the day "what is that thing?" and a lot of "its beautiful" comments. And it is beautiful... here she is sitting outside my office in her special space:

nsx1.jpg

Last edited:
The 355 is a phat machine...but modding an NSX and adding a Wingswest body kit will give you some of the Fcar's mystique - as for the sound...that can't be duplicated...but a Dali exhaust system sure turns heads and it sounds absolutely phat - especially in a tunnel!! I believe that the NSX is the way to go because it is way more reliable that the 355...Please don't get me wrong - the 355 is an amazingly beautiful piece of machinery...and that is why I do like the Wingswest body kit on a 91 NSX - it gives you that sweet 355 look and the NSX itself gives you the handling and performance!! An Fcar will always turn heads...but its hard to turn heads when your car is in the garage!! I like having an exotic machine that is shy of garages:wink: Lamborghinis and Ferraris have a special relationship with garages - one that brings them back...again and again...and again...and again...and again...:rolleyes:

Remember...Lamborghinis and Ferraris are equated to perfection...but perfection is for fascists...lol...

Dam:cool:

The 355 is a phat machine...but modding an NSX and adding a Wingswest body kit will give you some of the Fcar's mystique - as for the sound...that can't be duplicated...but a Dali exhaust system sure turns heads and it sounds absolutely phat - especially in a tunnel!! I believe that the NSX is the way to go because it is way more reliable that the 355...Please don't get me wrong - the 355 is an amazingly beautiful piece of machinery...and that is why I do like the Wingswest body kit on a 91 NSX - it gives you that sweet 355 look and the NSX itself gives you the handling and performance!! An Fcar will always turn heads...but its hard to turn heads when your car is in the garage!! I like having an exotic machine that is shy of garages:wink: Lamborghinis and Ferraris have a special relationship with garages - one that brings them back...again and again...and again...and again...and again...:rolleyes:

Remember...Lamborghinis and Ferraris are equated to perfection...but perfection is for fascists...lol...

Dam:cool:

+1 Perfectly said man.

Honestly... buy the modded NSX, save about $35k and buy an elise. Now you have 2 exotics/sports cars :)

Having a Turbo'd NSX and driven a 355, the comparison is like comparing apples to komquats. They are so different on so many levels, you'd really have to prioritize you needs and wants first, then use that to make your decision. In terms of performance, a properly tuned turbo'd NSX will blow the pants off of the 355. The stock NSX could probably "hang" with a 355 stock. Once you add another 200 hp, it's just not even close. However, the catch with a turbo NSX is that I highly recommend that you have a competitent tuner (or even the original builder and tuner) available to you. Maybe not in your back yard, but accessible. For example, if you live at any sort of elevation change, then you'll need to get your car retuned when you pick it up. And depending on what type of controller it is using, that can be more difficult than you think. In terms of depreciation, I would say that a stock NSX and a stock 355 would be on par with each other. However, I think once you add a turbo to the NSX the value would fall much faster simply becuase it narrows your pool of potential buyers. Not that you couldn't sell it for the true market value, but you will need to work that much harder, whereas there seems to be a steady demand for Ferraris. On the maintenance side, it's a tale of two cities. Ferraris are legendary for their tales of constant maintenance. As I understand it, they nickel and dime you to death with small problems here and there. The same small problems that the NSX is so good with and where you probably won't have issues. However, with a Turbo'd NSX, if you don't rebuild the engine, depending on how much power you are pushing, there is potential for severe damage. Also, if the car is not tuned properly and detonation occurs, you could be in for some serious downtime and expensive repairs. I guess what I'm saying is that the turbo'd NSX is a wildcard based on so many different factors that there is a higher risk of major damage at some point in time. While the 355 will probably slow burn you with a series of hassling issues over time.
+1

Turbo'd NSX - Stupid fast car - not very many things out there that'll be faster than it.

F355 - the "F" Factor, and most importantly the sound.

Back