60 degrees today - Happy New Year!

Too bad the NSX is tucked away until it can get the Asimo treatment before Spring. I realize it was just a teaser day but you can't beat spring-like temps to ring in the New Year. Took advantage of the balmy weather to take a walk through the zoo today.

13535805-L.jpg

13535778-L.jpg

13533345-L.jpg

13536877-L.jpg

13535784-L.jpg

13569538-L.jpg

Last edited:
Bob I am just curious if you shot those freehand or with some kind of support and what was the distance ?

Ohh and Damm rite down the road from me and not even a Hello.....lol :biggrin:

They were all shot freehand at between 30-150 feet. Despite the fact that the Canon 100-400L weighs around 3 pounds by itself, the IS is such a great feature that I rarely use a tripod.

Bob,
I'm assumming that's the Bronx Zoo? I'd really like to see that snow leopard. How close were you from that big cat?
Back to the thread -- I hate it when the weather turns perfect after my insurance has been cancelled for the season. Let it snow till April. I did go out to the garage to start her yesterday.
See you at dinner in a few weeks.
Jesse

foxy-abby said:
Bob,
I'm assumming that's the Bronx Zoo? I'd really like to see that snow leopard. How close were you from that big cat?

Yes, the Bronx Zoo it is. The snow leopard was between 25 and 150 feet away at various times. The toughest problem was the wire fence between me and the leopard which made it a difficult shot.

RSO 34 said:
They were all shot freehand at between 30-150 feet. Despite the fact that the Canon 100-400L weighs around 3 pounds by itself, the IS is such a great feature that I rarely use a tripod.

I wonder if the IS would help with my shaky hands......Great pics by the way but you already know that. :wink:

Acura NsX Pilot said:
I wonder if the IS would help with my shaky hands

The IS lenses make a huge difference with handheld shots where the subject is moving or if the lighting is poor requiring a slower shutter speed. An excellent (and affordable) option is the 75-300 IS which I used for several years at the track before upgrading to the 100-400 L series (also IS).

:tongue: OK you 20D showoff :tongue:
I'm looking into the Minolta 7D which does the IS at the film plane which means I can use all of my Maxxum lenses and get IS on demand. The camera is only 6.1MP but in a test at a local shop with a 70-300 tamron the results were incredible. I was seriously contemplating the Canon but the Minolta gives me the advantage of being able to switch lenses between my film and digi body on demand :biggrin:

Which CF cards are you using? I have some 40x 1gig cards but am not sure they will be enough though the 6+MP will only be about 2/3 what the 20D puts out. Do you shoot all in raw or in raw and jpeg combined?

By the way as usual your pics are incredible :eek: :eek:

I checked with Larry but the 7d is not offered to employees yet or else the decision would have been made simpler by the employee pricing. Looking forward to seeing you at the dinner. And hey do you :confused: :confused: EVER :confused: :confused: work for a living :confused: . Every time I look on line you seem to be at the zoo or botanical gardens.

Happy New Year :biggrin:

If I didn't work so hard and so much I wouldn't need to unwind at the zoo or botanical gardens as often as I do. But it is nice to see that you have sufficient free time to lurk on Prime and take note of my work schedule. :wink:

I have been using 80x 1 gig cards which will hold approximately 240 photos at the highest res jpeg. I also have a 2 gig 80x which gives me the same approximate number of photos that I had been used to with my D60 (6.3mp) and a 1 gig card.

I have not shot in RAW because I still have not installed PS CS on my machine (just don't tell Jadkar) and I don't have the time and patience to process them twice, once through the Canon software and then again in PS. I am going to have to get used to it at some point soon because I want to shoot RAW and jpeg when I head down to the Galapagos later this year.

Back