6 spd gearbox smooother shifting than the 5 spd?

I've test driven a few NSX's, all of which were 5 speeds. It seems like the shifting isn't as crisp as it should be. My S2000 6spd shifts/feels crisp, like a "bolt-action" rifle. I'm thinking maybe the 6spd gearbox feels better?

There's a 2001 NSX at Acura of Pasadena. I sat in it and ran through the gears and it felt similar to the S2k.

Maybe I need to go with a '97+

I've driven the S2000 and personally like the shifting action better than my 97' NSX 6 speed. That was the only thing I liked better. ;)

No more s2k? Still have my book? ;) , has anyone had a short shift kit installed? maybe that would help get the feel of what you are looking for.

- David

ssmugen said:
No more s2k? Still have my book? ;) , has anyone had a short shift kit installed? maybe that would help get the feel of what you are looking for.

- David

What's up David? Still in Japan? Yeah, I'm shopping for an NSX. I'm still not sure what to do with my S. My bro wants to buy it from me as soon as I find my car. Part of me wants to keep both but that wouldn't make any sense for me right now.

I still have your...well, my book now. :D

I'm not sure a short shift kit would make it feel any better. But maybe it would.

I've driven cars with short shift kits and most feel very notchy.

Does one even exist for the NSX?

To respond to the original question, no change 5 to 6 speed they feel the same. Basically identical linkage arrangement for both. Just add the reverse lockout to the 6 speed:). FYI, it is a cable type shift linkage.

HTH,
LarryB

This is according to 1997 NSX DETAILS in FAQ ;)

Manual Transmission
A new, compact, close-ratio 6-speed manual transmission is designed to provide impressive durability with short shift throws and quick, precise response. Previously only applied to 2nd gear, dual-cone synchronizers are now used on 1st through 4th gear to reduce shift load from 40 to 50 percent for quicker, smoother shifting. Reverse gear is also equipped with synchromesh. To increase performance while maintaining excellent fuel economy, the five first ratios have been shortened while the new 6th gear is 7 percent higher than 5th gear in the previous NSX. To further increase shift responsiveness, the shift stroke has been reduced by approximately 10 percent. A new reverse lock-out solenoid ensures proper gear selection when shifting into 6th gear.

It looks like it's quite a bit of difference than the 5 speed of the previous models.

nsxpt said:
This is according to 1997 NSX DETAILS in FAQ ;)

Manual Transmission
A new, compact, close-ratio 6-speed manual transmission is designed to provide impressive durability with short shift throws and quick, precise response. Previously only applied to 2nd gear, dual-cone synchronizers are now used on 1st through 4th gear to reduce shift load from 40 to 50 percent for quicker, smoother shifting. Reverse gear is also equipped with synchromesh. To increase performance while maintaining excellent fuel economy, the five first ratios have been shortened while the new 6th gear is 7 percent higher than 5th gear in the previous NSX. To further increase shift responsiveness, the shift stroke has been reduced by approximately 10 percent. A new reverse lock-out solenoid ensures proper gear selection when shifting into 6th gear.

It looks like it's quite a bit of difference than the 5 speed of the previous models.

Thanks Tan. So when are you selling your '97 to mee? :)

Hey Simon,
Still lurking around for your NSX he? I thought you said you have a budget constraint? That's another 10G to jump over to the 97, but sorry it's a keeper. How are you doing so far with the search, anything interesting? ;)

I have a 2002.
I noticed when I first drove the car that it would grind shifting into second sometimes, usually when cold, and not as much when warmed up.
I had Pasadena Acura look at it and they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it. They changed the fluid but it still grinds sometimes. But I am getting use to when it feels like it doesn't want to go into second and I just shift into third. The shifting seems a little notchy to me though. Maybe because it only has 5000 miles ? Maybe I'll try different fluid that I have read about here..

nsxpt said:
Hey Simon,
Still lurking around for your NSX he? I thought you said you have a budget constraint? That's another 10G to jump over to the 97, but sorry it's a keeper. How are you doing so far with the search, anything interesting? ;)

Yup. Still looking.

A '97 would be nice, but a '93-'94 will keep me married ;)

Back