5 or 6 speed ? HELP / RSVP

I am close to being immortal by becoming an NSX owner. My question: 5 or 6 speed manual tranny?

Thoughts / comments?

Thank you all in advance,

Skyguy

SWTakeoff.gif

* my "other" car is a Boeing 737

Originally posted by skyguy:
5 or 6 speed manual tranny?

Basically, you are asking whether to buy a '91-96 NSX (which comes with a 5-speed), or a '97+ NSX with the 6-speed.

There were a lot of improvements in the '97, in addition to the six-speed; most notable is the bigger displacement engine with the extra 20 horses.

There's little doubt about which car, and which transmission, is better; it's the '97+ with the six-speed. The question is whether it's worth the extra money, since a '97+ is going to cost at least $10K more than a comparable '91-96. And that's something that's up to you - whether you care about the greater performance, and whether your budget can afford the extra money.

keep in mind that there are apparently little things you can do to offset the performance differences, such as headers and exhaust. but the six speed is really excellent. it can be retrofitted, but expensive.

also, do you want a targa. i know many times i wish i had that and you dont get that with a early model. on the other hand, many people want the coupe--much better rigidity.

if none of these are a burning issue, you may just want to consider the cars you find, and the correspondent price points. truly good nsx's are hard to find
wink.gif

IMO, the 6-speed transmission makes more difference on "feel" than the slightly larger engine. I've got a '97, but I've driven earlier models with the 5-speed.

Some of the people here in Dallas who have 5-speeds have put in "short-gears" which makes the car feel more like the 6-speed.

You can buy a nice '91 and put short gears in it much more economically than buying a '97.

Aaron

Reading thru many posts of owners feelings on the six-speed, I honestly don't remember hearing anything at all negative. I have driven both and I can tell you the newer transmission is wonderful. Keep in mind that it comes with a slightly better engineered clutch also.

Your decision though should be "what can I afford"? If you get the five-speed while at this time can afford the newer '97+ model, I have to feel you would always wonder - and maybe even have some regrets at a later time.

Something to think about. Good luck . . .

Plus, there's nothing like the sound of VTEC along with the rushing wind of a nice run with the top off!

Targa was one of my requirements when I looked for my NSX. I'd probably be driving a P-car if I couldn't afford a Targa.

The removable top is probably a greater attraction to Texans than those of us living up north, or those of us who participate in track events (or who just prefer greater rigidity). Different roofs for different... goofs?

Originally posted by WA-NSX:
Reading thru many posts of owners feelings on the six-speed, I honestly don't remember hearing anything at all negative. I have driven both and I can tell you the newer transmission is wonderful. Keep in mind that it comes with a slightly better engineered clutch also...

Well, not really. They just went to a more conventional single disk because many drivers find them simpler to use smoothly which in turn also helps them last longer. I'd say the early dual-disk is the “better” unit, at least for someone who knows how to use it.

I have no axe to grind either way with the single vs. dual plate clutch. I think they are both good units. But...you may wish to do a repair cost comparison.

Seems like "better engineered" if that's how you want to put it, = bigger$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Just make sure you do your "homework" on this pricing, unless of course this aspect of ownership is not a concern to you.

HTH,
LarryB

Larry, not sure which is more $ up front or on going, but probably the dual, especially for the average driver. Still, the same cost/benefit can be applied to many things that perform better. Performance tires, high compression, high revs, complex valve train, etc. All part of the package when you buy a high performance car. I see the clutch as just another one of those. The dual was originally used because it "performs" better in the sense intended. For some people there is little if any cost involved because they use the car as designed. Others who use it for drag racing or just don't really know how to operate the clutch properly are better off with the later single.

So I agree with you, each of us must weigh these things for ourselves.

Back