$33k for 38K?

I have found a 1991 red NSX in absolutely mint condition with 38k miles. Owner won't take a penny less than $33,500. This seems a bit high to me, but I am new to this. He says it's because of condition and care. Am I paying too much? (Marci)

Not at all if the condition is really top notch. Keep in mind that mileage is just one factor and others must be considered as well. The leather interior can always be refreshed at a reasonable cost, so I wouldn't worry too much about that, although it is definitely a plus. If the interior is in very good condition, the owner probably kept really good care of other parts as well like the engine, brakes, and trans. Paint is one of my higher concerns as it is much more expensive to refresh.
The drive and the vehicle being accident free is the highest importance. A car is never the same once it has been involved in an accident. Anyone who says otherwise is lying.

Kidztchr7 said:
I have found a 1991 red NSX in absolutely mint condition with 38k miles. Owner won't take a penny less than $33,500. This seems a bit high to me, but I am new to this. He says it's because of condition and care. Am I paying too much? (Marci)

find out if all the service is already done, the timing belt / water pump probably needs to be done, even though the mileage is that low. the car is still a bit older and you probably need new bits like shocks, coolant hoses, clutch, snapring action (if its in range) that being said, the prices for GOOD shaped nsx seem to have become stable so if it really is in GREAT shape (after close inspection and PPI) then it might be worth it

khappucino said:
find out if all the service is already done, the timing belt / water pump probably needs to be done, even though the mileage is that low. the car is still a bit older and you probably need new bits like shocks, coolant hoses, clutch, snapring action (if its in range) that being said, the prices for GOOD shaped nsx seem to have become stable so if it really is in GREAT shape (after close inspection and PPI) then it might be worth it

I agree completly with this quote - also, note, most of the service has time intervals, as well as mileage intervals - if he has not done some of the service because 'it has not reached xx miles', and has ignored the time constraints (explained in the faq) I would run, even with the low miles.

If the service is up to date, the car is pristine, and the car checks out at an acura dealership the price seems very fair.

I just paid $33800 for a 1993 with 25.9K, also showroom condition with all the service records. However, I also consider that I got a fantastic deal. I would try go get him down about another $1500.

I would say it depends on service. I've seem a lot of low mileage NSXs who dont have any service done at all except a few oil changes.

Re: $K for K?

Thanks for your help! This site is without a doubt the most helpful of any I've visited re: NSX's.

The following maintenance has been done, and he will go no lower on the price than $33.5K for the 38K mileage car. I'm still a bit apprehensive since this will be a large $$ output for me--especially should the bottom drop out on this car. I've just always wanted one. It's just this or a brand new 350Z! Final advice? (Marci)

AC conversion to R134
Replaced AC controls (common failure in NSX)

Brake fluid
oil pump gasket
coolant
Valve adjustment

Clutch inspection and fluid flush
Antenna Mast replacement
Timing Belt
Water Pump

Timing belt cover
Alternator belt
Compressor belt

Also:
The car is not in the snap ring range (whatever that matters)

Those are the most significant services.

The only thing not on the list is the window regulators. If they have not been upgraded, then buy a pair of the window fix-it thingies for $20 and put them in, to prevent an expensive replacement of the regulators. More information is in the FAQ section (Troubleshooting - Power Windows).

Back