2d timing belt, another water pump?

I am taking my '91 with 44,000 miles in for service Monday and have two questions. The timing belt and water pump were replaced 8 years ago at about 25,000 miles. If I have the belt changed again, should I also replace the water pump? Second, should I expect a reduced labor charge if they repair spool valve leaks along with the timing belt? Thanks for any answers.

I am taking my '91 with 44,000 miles in for service Monday and have two questions. The timing belt and water pump were replaced 8 years ago at about 25,000 miles. If I have the belt changed again, should I also replace the water pump? Second, should I expect a reduced labor charge if they repair spool valve leaks along with the timing belt? Thanks for any answers.

yes replace the water pump thermostate and tensionar. Factory recommends 90k or 7 years, 16 years both is not unheared of :biggrin:

yes change out the water pump. labor is about 1 extra hour.

also you change the timing belt BECAUSE you change the water pump.:wink:

happy motoring.

Rob:smile:

yes replace the water pump thermostate and tensionar. Factory recommends 90k or 7 years
The factory recommendation on the timing belt is 90K miles or 6 years for the '91-96 NSX, 105K miles or 7 years for the '97-05 NSX. There is no factory recommendation for the water pump; however, it makes sense to replace it whenever you replace the timing belt, because it's all the same labor, and you won't have to do it over again if the water pump fails.

I also suggest replacing all the cooling system hoses (or, at a minimum, the big ones) at the same time, especially if they have never been done. It's good preventive maintenance, so you don't get stranded somewhere by a hose failure. Also there are savings in labor and coolant by doing it at the same time as the timing belt and water pump.

One final note - this resets the interval on flushing the coolant, since it's flushed when you replace the water pump. While the factory schedule shows this as every 30K miles starting at 45K (IOW 45K/75K/105K), you won't need to do it again for another 30K miles or 2 years, whichever comes first.

Back