$285 to install spacers??

i ordered 15mm and 25mm spacers for my front and rear wheels respectively. i had no problems installing the rear set. i didn't want to futz around with the stud replacement for the fronts so i called an acura dealer for a quote. they want $285 for labor. is this a fair price?

Sounds a bit high. I don't think it should take more than an hour - two hours tops. Jeez, if you were in my area, you could come over and we could change them out for free. From what I've read, if you can get 6 turns on the lug stud you should be alright. BUT, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

sjs said:
Are you sure you need longer studs for a 15mm spacer?

$285 sounds like about 3 hours, so perhaps a bit high but they need to allow for surprises.

the longer studs come with the 15mm spacers....daliracing says its required.

$285 is more like 3 1/2 hours. from reading previous posts by matteni and dano... replacing studs seem to be a bit complicated... just wondering if it's "3.5 hours complicated".

You definitely need longer studs for 15 mm spacers (About 5/8")
$285 seems like a lot to me - the front is not a particularly difficult job, compared to the rears (if you were to exchange the studs as opposed to 25mm bolt on spacer)
You can get a good guide if you decide to do yourself on Dan's garage here for hub removal & here for stud replacement

Ponyboy said:
... From what I've read, if you can get 6 turns on the lug stud you should be alright. BUT, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Yea, I've always heard that 90% of the strength is in the first three turns. Of course, even if true that doesn't leave much room before it falls of if it starts to get loose. You could offer to pay them actual time, but that could backfire.

15 mm is 0.6 inch, which is a fair amount of lug nut travel. I don't think that leaves the requisite six turns rule of thumb.

I have 25mm adapters in the fornt. The car looks perfect with them... and no hassle for the longer studs (it is also easier if you decide to go back to stock).

It will cost you less to buy the 25mm in the front than the installation only of the 15mm in the fornt too! :D

nicholas421

How does it look after you put the 1 in spacer in the rear...
do you know it's as safe as oem ? Do you feel any different when you drive?

I just installed the longer studs and 15mm spacers on the front of a '99 NSX. The studs that came with the spacers were too small in diameter and I could push them in with my fingers. Fortunately I am in Sacto. and I was able to get some studs from Comptech. Their studs were a little longer so the stock lugnuts would not work. I used some lugnuts from a late model TL that were deeper and you can't tell the difference. Hopefully you won't have this problem. By the way they were the H&R spacers.

Bruce

Re: Re: $285 to install spacers??

PettittsAuto said:
I just installed the longer studs and 15mm spacers on the front of a '99 NSX. The studs that came with the spacers were too small in diameter and I could push them in with my fingers. Fortunately I am in Sacto. and I was able to get some studs from Comptech. Their studs were a little longer so the stock lugnuts would not work. I used some lugnuts from a late model TL that were deeper and you can't tell the difference. Hopefully you won't have this problem. By the way they were the H&R spacers.

Bruce,

When people install spacers, aren't they usually doing so because they need them for an aftermarket wheel, so that the spokes clear the calipers?

And, don't most aftermarket wheels have a conical (tapered) seating surface for the lug nuts, so you would want to use aftermarket lug nuts? (Instead of the stock Honda/Acura lug nuts, which have an acorn (spherical) seating surface, as do stock Honda/Acura wheels.)

:confused:

Re: Re: Re: $285 to install spacers??

This customer was installing the spacers for cosmetic reasons more than anything else. He had the 25mm in the rear and the 15mm up front with the stock wheels that is why I used the TL lugnuts because they have the same taper and they are deeper. I also installed Bilsteins with the stock springs on the lower perch. The car looked very good when I got done.

Bruce

Re: Re: Re: $285 to install spacers??

nsxtasy said:
When people install spacers, aren't they usually doing so because they need them for an aftermarket wheel, so that the spokes clear the calipers?

:confused:

Ken,

Some of us install spacers to reduce our roll center by widening the track of the car, so we can corner better.

Re: Re: Re: Re: $285 to install spacers??

ncdogdoc said:
Some of us install spacers to reduce our roll center by widening the track of the car, so we can corner better.

That's okay, Gary - we all know why you're really doing it - for the "low rider" look! :D

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: $285 to install spacers??

nsxtasy said:
That's okay, Gary - we all know why you're really doing it - for the "low rider" look! :D

Yeah, you got me Ken. I thought about getting some chrome Miata wheels with a positive offset so the entire tire would stick out from the fender, kind of like a Dodge pickup.

ncdogdoc said:

Gary,

Don't you worry about extra strain on the axle shafts by doing so? Axle shafts have been known to fail on the track, even without spacers. Make sure you check your axle nuts frequently...

15mm - 25mm spacers

It was my car that Bruce worked on. He did a great job and when the problem came up about the studs, after I didn't call him back, he went and got the longer studs and installed them. I didn't know until I picked up the car. I e-mailed Mark about the studs not fitting correctly, just to let him know.
Agian, Bruce did a wonderful job and getting the car done with out my input, that was great. Thanks Bruce

please clarify

Okay, I'm lost.
Intuitively, it would seem that with a fatter spacer (25mm) that you would need longer studs than with a 15mm spacer... but it seems that peolpe are saying it is easier to place the 25 mm...
please clarify as I'm considering doing this as well...

Thanks,

greg

Re: please clarify

painlus said:
Intuitively, it would seem that with a fatter spacer (25mm) that you would need longer studs than with a 15mm spacer... but it seems that peolpe are saying it is easier to place the 25 mm...
That would hold true if the 25mm was a pure spacer - the 25mm DRM type is, as Gheba points out, an adapter - it bolts on to the stock length studs like your wheel would & then it has its own set of studs protruding from the flange to which your wheel now bolts.
This is a 4-stud picture, but is the same for the 5 stud NSX hub: your hub studs protrude through the "holes" in the flange & bolted up with the supplied lugs; you then install your wheel on the new studs already attached to the spacer & secure with your regular lugs appropriate for your wheel type (conical or acorn shape for stock wheels, tapered for after-market is typical)

Attachments

• drm.jpg
    drm.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 150
The DRS spacer on the other hand, is simply that (although it also includes the hub-centering flange - very important!) but requires the extra length studs to carry through the hub, spacer & wheel.

Attachments

• drs.jpg
    drs.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 164
Back