24K 91 NSX, is it a good idea?

I've seen several NSXs going for 24-30K on autotrader, cars.com etc... All of them manual, clean title, no accidents, no snap-ring problem (not in vin range)
but the downside is they have like 150K miles on them.

Im planning to buy an NSX as a track car, and possibly a weekend driver, but primarily for use on the track...high mileage is a bit of a concern to me but Do you think its a good idea to purchase an NSX for around 24K with high mileage and pull the motor out and have it rebuilt, that way I can start with a nearly fresh motor?
Or am I missing something? If motor is in good condition, any idea how long it would last before needing a rebuild if I purchase it at 160K miles?
thanks everyone.

Its a Honda...its hand made...good God, the miles don't matter...especially if it is going to be a track car...you could have a new engine and something could go wrong...deal with the real issues when they arise!! The most important thing is to see how the car has been taking care of...I bought one with high mileage...but it looks absolutely "phat" and it goes like "jack-the-bear"...so don't worry...if there are a lot of NSX's in your area...then be patient...but if not...go and get it.

Dam

i see. so whos this "jack the bear" you speak of? hehe jk.
I know mileage doesnt matter that much, but I am not real familiar with NSXs, so I was hoping one of the more knowledable people can chime in. I dont know if 150K is high for an NSX or not. Especially for one that is going to be used and abused.

I live in Southern california so NSXs arent super hard to find or anything and I see several cars like the ones I discribed for sale at any given time.

Any idea of what some decent compression levels are for the engine?

i see. so whos this "jack the bear" you speak of? hehe jk.
I know mileage doesnt matter that much, but I am not real familiar with NSXs, so I was hoping one of the more knowledable people can chime in. I dont know if 150K is high for an NSX or not. Especially for one that is going to be used and abused.

I live in Southern california so NSXs arent super hard to find or anything and I see several cars like the ones I discribed for sale at any given time.

Any idea of what some decent compression levels are for the engine?

150K in the mainland is right about average (on daily/everyother day driven NSXs) actually. Fortunately like Dam said it is a Honda (Not a Ferrari) so reliability isn't too much of an issue. Dam's advice is solid, go with looking into whether the vehicle was taken care of and routine maintenance was done. you'll have a solid car, whether it's tracked or not! If the engine goes on you in the future, it might actually be cheaper to just get a used engine rather than rebuild. If you do choose the rebuild route later, i would say you should upgrade the internals and or go with a completely built spoon/mugen engine.

Laters,
1prcnt

I've seen several NSXs going for 24-30K on autotrader, cars.com etc... All of them manual, clean title, no accidents, no snap-ring problem (not in vin range)
IMHO, cars with less mileage are a better value. Sure, high-mileage cars cost less, but I think you're better off spending a few extra thousand dollars for the lower mileage. Just my O.

Do you think its a good idea to purchase an NSX for around 24K with high mileage and pull the motor out and have it rebuilt, that way I can start with a nearly fresh motor?
No. If you are going to buy a high-mileage car in which the motor is running without any problems, there's no need to replace/rebuild it.

It's also worth noting that it's often less expensive to buy a used engine than to rebuild one. But in either case, I wouldn't do so if the current engine is running fine.

The one thing I would suggest is to make sure that all the maintenance has been done, particularly the timing belt and water pump. I would also suggest replacing the crankshaft pulley, which is rarely done but is a good preventive measure. (Ask me how I know.)

If motor is in good condition, any idea how long it would last before needing a rebuild if I purchase it at 160K miles?
There's no specific mileage. People have driven NSXs beyond 300K miles without needing a rebuild. But again, proper maintenance is key.

redsuns3838 said:
I dont know if 150K is high for an NSX or not.
It's higher than average. Median mileage on NSXs is 5K miles per year.

150K in the mainland is right about average (on daily/everyother day driven NSXs) actually.
Maybe, but daily driven NSXs are only a minority of NSXs. Which is why 150K miles is about twice the median mileage for all '91-93 NSXs.

Like everyone said... it doesn't really matter how many miles on the vehicle, it all depends on how the owner(s) care for the vehicle.

If you have a jack ass owner who never changes the oil, the motor won't last over 30k miles.

I was more than lucky enough to find a NSX with 165k miles, but the owner has EVERY single detail records for the vehicle and baby the thing. You would never tell it has 165k miles and the original motor still pulls strong. Luckily enough, he already did a 6-speed transplant.

What I'm trying to say don't be afraid of a high mileages NSX. The majority of NSX owners pamper their car (and once you get one, you'll understand why they put the miles on, its damn fun to drive! When I take my "other" car to drive, I sit their dreaming how nice it would be if I was driving my NSX at the moment).

fr0m ninety 0ne t0 2005 the miIage meter hasn't been updated; that g0es t0 sh0w y0u that miIage is n0t a big thing with these cars, its just there t0 remind y0u when service is needed; but Iike every0ne said, past maintenance hist0ry is very imp0rtant when picking up high miIage nsx's; there are 0wners 0ut there that d0nt d0 pr0per maintenance, w0uIdn't want t0 end up with a m0ney pit

g00d Iuck

My .02 You can get one with half that mileage for a few grand more. Spend the few grand!

Im planning to buy an NSX as a track car, and possibly a weekend driver, but primarily for use on the track...high mileage is a bit of a concern to me but Do you think its a good idea to purchase an NSX for around 24K with high mileage and pull the motor out and have it rebuilt, that way I can start with a nearly fresh motor?
Or am I missing something? If motor is in good condition, any idea how long it would last before needing a rebuild if I purchase it at 160K miles?
thanks everyone.

Unless it has a new engine in it. Absolutely not.

BUT, if you are comfortable with a 240k Civic and ready to up keep it, and times the cost by 3...

Don't do it.

I have a high milage nsx for 20K

also its a 1992

clean title, no accidents. be a perfect track car and more reasonable than 24K.

pm me if interested. opening a new shop and need cash.

Vancehu can you clarify what you were refering to when you said "absolutely not"? Ive read your reply over and over and I cant seem to figure out which of my questions or comments you were responding to! lol sorry! but i am interested in what you have to say so if you could clarify that would be great.

Also, thankyou for the insight everyone. Im getting mixed answeres from a high mileage is ok, to save a few K more and get a lower mileage one. So Im going to sit back and just carshop for a bit more now and take my time. I live in Socal so NSX arent a 1 in a million thing so I can afford to be selective.

Im getting mixed answeres from a high mileage is ok, to save a few K more and get a lower mileage one.
I don't think those two answers conflict with each other. Yes, a higher mileage car may still be okay (and almost certainly not require a rebuild on the engine). But a lower mileage car for a few thousand dollars more may still represent a better value (lower risk of problems on a car with fewer miles). Of course, both statements assume, "everything else being equal" (which it rarely is).

just look at maintenance and other costs for this car..... a few grand in the beginning will save you TONS later on. and i'm not just talking about the engine.... think tranny, seals, bearings, suspension, etc.

besides, i think you should just keep looking.... you'll find a good deal esp if you an argue. my car was 27k (91 stock 52kmi excellent condition). the one i was looking at before i bought mine had only 33kmi on it for 27 (but it had been hit on the driver side)

Back