215 45 17 and 265 40 18 work with TCS

I want to use the pilot super sport tires but they do not make the 215 40 17 so looking at other options. I like the super sport because of the much greater tire longevity over the z1. If the size above will work with the tcs I am willing to give it shot. Anyone with track experience think that the taller side wall will be much of hindrance?

Front 215 45 17 Rev per mile 845.1
Rear 265 40 18 rev per mile 789.6

Rear being 7% larger. If I use the manufacter spec on the tire the rear are 6.8% larger.

From everything I read this is perfect for TCS can anyone with more experience confirm? What are the down side if any going with the slightly taller side wall on the rear.

Thanks in advance

James

Last edited:
I have yes the search. I know the typical setup however you can not get the pilot super sport in a 215 40 17 only a 215 45 17 so I searched posting regarding ratio and TCS and believe found a set a can use and am asking a more expeinced owner if it will work. Thought with the details I provided it would have been evident I searched the forums.

125/40/17 and 265/35/18.

Use the search!:mad:

You need to check your numbers and the anger :cool:.

To the OP, your TC should be fine since you are increasing the sidewall on both the front and rear equally. The only downside to increased sidewall (as long as you're not lowered and have clearance problems) is sidewall flex when making hard/fast turns. The bennefit of a taller sidewall is less chance of bending a rim when hitting a pothole.

The only downside to increased sidewall (as long as you're not lowered and have clearance problems) is sidewall flex when making hard/fast turns. The bennefit of a taller sidewall is less chance of bending a rim when hitting a pothole.

The other downsides are increased likelihood of rubbing, taller gearing, speedo being off, slower acceleration, increased weight unsprung weight, not to mention it makes the NSX look like an offroad vehicle IMO.

As I stated in your other thread, get the Dunlop StarSpec Z1 in 215/40/17 and 265/35/18 and call it a day...:cool:

rub-a-dub'dub...

Posting another thread because you don't agree w/ the advice on the other identical thread you created here won't necessarily get the confirmation you seek.

You're more than likely gonna get rubbing up front w/ 215/45R17 as that tire is too tall for the front fender/suspension area. Depending on your suspension setup (ie. stock, lowering springs, after-market shocks, coilovers, etc) and wheel width & offset, you may get a slight rub over bumps & ascents/descents or turning or a noticeable rub against the wheelwell liner and/or suspension components.

So, the question arises, can you live w/ that?

As others have iterated, w/ good reason & experience, 215/40R17 is the recommended front tire which has been tried & tested. Also 205/45R17 may work depending on wheel offset & suspension setup. And there are those who have reported minimal if-any issues w/ 235/40R17.

TCS & speedo' are only part of the game, whether you're rubbing/scraping is just as paramount if not more. Not to mention changing the dynamics, balance, and handling/performance by using unnecessarily larger profile tires (as others have mentioned, increased size, weight, and unsprung weight / rotational mass).

Solid picks (max. performance summer / extreme performance summer):

215/40R17 & 265/35R18...

* Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec
* Falken Azeni RT-615k
* Continental ExtremeContact DW

205/40R17 & 265/35R18

* Bridgestone Potenza RE-11
* Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position
* Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08

205/40R17 & 265/40R18

* Michelin Pilot Super Sport
* Bridgestone Potenza RE050A
* Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position
* Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08

FWIW, to check/compare: TireRack, DiscountTire, VulcanTires

This was the exact type of details I was interested in. The other thread titled pilot super sport was not answering my question on if the tire would work. You did provide valuable information in that post as well but I thought it was just short of what I was looking for this response completed it and filled in the gaps. Other than that one post I felt I was mostly getting just opinion on what brand and not why not to use the size I mentioned. That i attributed to the post title which i could not change thus the new thread. The reason I was looking at the pilot super sport was due to the excellent reviews of the tire that rate the grip and handling the same or above the z1 but all rate the mileage as more than twice as long as the z1. I do understand that rubbing could be an issue and was trying to figure out if that would be an issue which it sounds like from your post is highly likely. I do not want to rub so that is another piece of the puzzle.

So my conclusion this far is to stay with known good 215/40/17 and 265/35/18. Now just have to decide if I am willing to live with the high grippf the z1 but low mileage. I will do the occasional track day but I also drive several days a week so right now think I will try a set of z1 and if mileage is too bad go to something else next time around.

Thanks again for providing all this info it was helpful and like I said the type of response I was looking for in the first thread but did not feel I was getting.

don't forget price-specials/rebates...

So my conclusion this far is to stay with known good 215/40/17 and 265/35/18. Now just have to decide if I am willing to live with the high grippf the z1 but low mileage. I will do the occasional track day but I also drive several days a week so right now think I will try a set of z1 and if mileage is too bad go to something else next time around...
The Michelin Pilot Super Sport is a max. performance summer tire, and on an NSX application it'd likely give ~10k miles of appreciable tread-life. Generally speaking, max. performance summer tires last 7.5k - 12.5k miles on the NSX.

The Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec is an extreme performance summer tire, and on an NSX application this exact gives ~10k miles of appreciable tread-life. Generally speaking, extreme performance summer tires last 5k - 6k miles max on the NSX.

So, w/ the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec you're getting: a better performing tire (greater grip), more-or-less the same tread-life, more-or-less the same price-point, in the proper size. It's quite a rarity in'essence to get three of those characteristics all-together on an NSX application let alone all four at the same time (performance, tread-life, price-point, correct size).

FWIW, here's how performance street tire nomenclature goes...

[ordered in greater performance/grip to less performance/grip]

Extreme performance summer tires
|
v
Max. performance summer tires
|
v
Ultra high performance summer tires
|
v
High performance summer tires

G'luck w/ your motoring, and rather pleased to hear that you're not skimping on your tires for your NSX (the Pilot Super Sports are great rubber, as are the Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec).

Last edited:
Back