2011 nsx ?

Remains to be seen.....

I think that is a re-post, but in any event it is just a rumor. The only new engine that I know of being worked on at Honda presently is the much ballyhooed replacement for the J-series, and it will be a V6. The HSV V10 is dead and the V8 that is used in the HSV-010 race car is a Formula Nippon racing engine with no street applicability. Even if this HSV story turns out to be true, I'm betting that the engine will be a version of the new V6 and maybe a hybrid.

I think that is a re-post, but in any event it is just a rumor. The only new engine that I know of being worked on at Honda presently is the much ballyhooed replacement for the J-series, and it will be a V6. The HSV V10 is dead and the V8 that is used in the HSV-010 race car is a Formula Nippon racing engine with no street applicability. Even if this HSV story turns out to be true, I'm betting that the engine will be a version of the new V6 and maybe a hybrid.

Actually Honcho after the Evora I can't see why Honda wouldn't want something like that but with hybrid for Acura. Would make perfect sense as if Lotus could do it for $80k with a Toyo engine Acura could do it for $60-65k.

This quote made me think Honcho/Wingz could be done with a hybrid.

"The NSX was “too high a halo,” Watts explained. “For it to be fully effective [as a halo vehicle for the brand], it couldn’t be too far removed” from Acura’s other products. This means that the new sports car will likely be priced much lower than the NSX and performance will probably more along the lines of the Nissan 370Z rather than the GT-R."

Actually Honcho after the Evora I can't see why Honda wouldn't want something like that but with hybrid for Acura. Would make perfect sense as if Lotus could do it for $80k with a Toyo engine Acura could do it for $60-65k.

This quote made me think Honcho/Wingz could be done with a hybrid.

"The NSX was “too high a halo,” Watts explained. “For it to be fully effective [as a halo vehicle for the brand], it couldn’t be too far removed” from Acura’s other products. This means that the new sports car will likely be priced much lower than the NSX and performance will probably more along the lines of the Nissan 370Z rather than the GT-R."

The Honcho/WingZ lives! :D Well, maybe. A couple brief notes: Word over at ToV is that the J replacement will be smaller displacement, better MPG, designed from the outset to work with hybrid motors, and without a loss of power compared to the J. Also, the replacement may only be SOHC, since SOHC A-VTEC is apparently just as powerful as DOHC i-VTEC and less complex/expensive.

Now what isn't known is what "without a loss of power compared to the J" means. Does Honda mean that any power loss due to the smaller displacement will be compensated by the hybrid electric motor? Or do they mean standing alone, a 2.5L A-VTEC engine will have the same output as the verneable 3.2L i-VTEC J32? If it is the former, then shame on them. If it is the latter, then bravo Honda. :)

The V6/Hybrid combo isn't necessarily a bad idea. After all, the Accord hybrid put up better times than the 6MT V6 coupe version due to the gobs of torque provided by the electric motor. I just think it's a bad idea for a sports car. The hybrid motor and battery pack will add about 500 lbs to a car. For a vanilla people-mover like a camry or Odyssey, that's fine. For a sports car, 500 lbs is game changing.

At this point, I'm willing to see some sort of hot-rodded A-VTEC V6 in the Honcho/WingZ. I could even accept SH-AWD and its associated weight gain. But please no hybrid. The CR-Z is not the direction they should be taking...

The Honcho/WingZ lives! :D Well, maybe. A couple brief notes: Word over at ToV is that the J replacement will be smaller displacement, better MPG, designed from the outset to work with hybrid motors, and without a loss of power compared to the J. Also, the replacement may only be SOHC, since SOHC A-VTEC is apparently just as powerful as DOHC i-VTEC and less complex/expensive.

Now what isn't known is what "without a loss of power compared to the J" means. Does Honda mean that any power loss due to the smaller displacement will be compensated by the hybrid electric motor? Or do they mean standing alone, a 2.5L A-VTEC engine will have the same output as the verneable 3.2L i-VTEC J32? If it is the former, then shame on them. If it is the latter, then bravo Honda. :)

The V6/Hybrid combo isn't necessarily a bad idea. After all, the Accord hybrid put up better times than the 6MT V6 coupe version due to the gobs of torque provided by the electric motor. I just think it's a bad idea for a sports car. The hybrid motor and battery pack will add about 500 lbs to a car. For a vanilla people-mover like a camry or Odyssey, that's fine. For a sports car, 500 lbs is game changing.

At this point, I'm willing to see some sort of hot-rodded A-VTEC V6 in the Honcho/WingZ. I could even accept SH-AWD and its associated weight gain. But please no hybrid. The CR-Z is not the direction they should be taking...

Really I didn't see that. I go over there quite a bit but don't post much. You say anything negative over there and you instantly become a troll. Yes the irony of being called a troll by some punk driving a Civic does not escape me ..lol

I'm going to go with the latter and say power combined with the hybrid equals the old J. Of course a more expensive car could maybe get DOHC and DI for more power and efficiency. Honda should do something to be seen as competitive in high performance. High performance and high MPG cars are on the rise and no reason why Honda can't be in that group.

I mean the ISF is rated higher than the RL/TL. C&D actually managed 28mpg on the ISF they had as a long term test car. Of course all this takes effort something Honda has kinda been lacking lately:frown:

Nice. :) This sort of fits with Ponyboy's point that the new platform for Acura is going to be a V6 hybrid / SH-AWD, appearing first in the RL. Maybe this finally is the decided direction for Honda? I mean, I'm not opposed to hybrids and I think the technology can be adapted to the sports car application. But, weight is the issue here. Especially with a sports model, Honda will have to mitigate the weight gain of the battery pack and the motor system if they don't want the car to handle like a pig. They have enough experience with aluminum and carbon from the NSX and racing programs to do it, but can they do it for a car that costs $60,000?

If this is indeed the new engineering direction, then they better do it right. This will have to stomp Toyota's hybrid product, being more powerful, more efficient and lighter by a significant margin to really make the impact Honda needs. In other words, it has to be good enough to convince people to not buy the Toyota and to buy the Honda instead.

If this is indeed the new engineering direction, then they better do it right. This will have to stomp Toyota's hybrid product, being more powerful, more efficient and lighter by a significant margin to really make the impact Honda needs. In other words, it has to be good enough to convince people to not buy the Toyota and to buy the Honda instead.

Well said. It's got to be a signficant leap in hybrid performance b/c a typical sports car buyer doesn't care too much about emissions and even less about fuel economy. What they are concerned with is performance and styling. So the car has got to have comparable performance, or better, as it's competition and, preferably, not include the beak/performance plenum.

The new RL should be coming out in '12 so the earliest a new "NSX" could come is '13.

The irony in the story above is that Honda had show a concept (Honda Dual Note or Acura DN-X) sports car with a hybrid 3.5L V6 in the 2001 Tokyo Auto show. That car was based on the mid-engine NSX chassis with seating for four. It was to produce 400 HP and get 42 mpg.

That was 9 years ago, now we are coming back to that powertrain once again albeit with a reportely a FR setup instead of the MR. Nevertheless, I'm glad to hear any sports car is still being developed at Honda. However, with Honda reconsidering the powertrain from 2001, it speaks to the level of indecision that exists at Honda.

Porsche is building a GT3 RS hybrid or is it a GT2. I just read about that in Road & Track today. This is definitely the wave of the future as of now. When you see Porsche doing it - then it going to be a happening thing. That's my measuring stick anyway.

Anyone read the comparo between the Lotus Evora, the Vette, and the Cayman......Lotus came out on bottom. But give that to a long term test and it might be very different! Lotus does use a V6 from Toyota with it 6 speed that was totally panned in the article.

Gonna be a while before Honda get's its act together on a real sports car but I think it will come. Going to be very interesting to see if the LF-A sells or is it Leases....

Porsche is building a GT3 RS hybrid or is it a GT2. I just read about that in Road & Track today. This is definitely the wave of the future as of now. When you see Porsche doing it - then it going to be a happening thing. That's my measuring stick anyway.

Anyone read the comparo between the Lotus Evora, the Vette, and the Cayman......Lotus came out on bottom. But give that to a long term test and it might be very different! Lotus does use a V6 from Toyota with it 6 speed that was totally panned in the article.

Gonna be a while before Honda get's its act together on a real sports car but I think it will come. Going to be very interesting to see if the LF-A sells or is it Leases....

The LF-A cannot be purchased. The cars are available through a factory lease program where at the end, you have to give the car back to Toyota. However, all of the cars are spoken for. Thus, all 500 LF-A's are already "sold out."

From the above posts and other threads, it looks like Honda is going in the hybrid direction for its next-gen platforms, so I'm sure we'll eventually see a real sports car. However, it will not be at the level of the LF-A. That car was the HSV and it is dead. According to ToV, Honda has no interest in direct injection and minimal interest in plug-in electric. Supposedly, they are convinced that hydrogen is the key technology and that the gas/hybrid drivetrains are just a bridge to that goal. Hence the focus on the FCX Clarity.

The LF-A cannot be purchased. The cars are available through a factory lease program where at the end, you have to give the car back to Toyota. However, all of the cars are spoken for. Thus, all 500 LF-A's are already "sold out."

From the above posts and other threads, it looks like Honda is going in the hybrid direction for its next-gen platforms, so I'm sure we'll eventually see a real sports car. However, it will not be at the level of the LF-A. That car was the HSV and it is dead. According to ToV, Honda has no interest in direct injection and minimal interest in plug-in electric. Supposedly, they are convinced that hydrogen is the key technology and that the gas/hybrid drivetrains are just a bridge to that goal. Hence the focus on the FCX Clarity.

It's funny but anyone else but Honda making a hydrogen powered car and I'd have some serious safety concerns ..lol

Honda actually made the best EV back in the 90's. Of course I'm still not sure what happened and why all those cars needed to be crushed ( from every automaker ).

Why Honcho old pal isn't the CRZ the new Honda sportscar ..lol Think the CRZ is the start of Honda pulling a big 3 retro move and that soon we'll see prelude redo? Word has it they're working on a larger "sporty" hybrid.

Retro makes sense when you've lost your way as an automaker. Back to your past so you can find your future. Nissans turning point was when they did the 350Z.

Actually... the rules of the Super GT is that the car must go into production... unless that changed.

I follow the results of the races... the HSV-10 must be made and sold in Japan at least.. Lexus Races the sc430... which I don't think it's supposed to be the LA-f... and I never heard of or saw a sc430

my $.02

Regards

Actually... the rules of the Super GT is that the car must go into production... unless that changed.

I follow the results of the races... the HSV-10 must be made and sold in Japan at least.. Lexus Races the sc430... which I don't think it's supposed to be the LA-f... and I never heard of or saw a sc430

my $.02

Regards

They made an exception to that rule because the car was originally prepped for production. I don't think JGTC will deny Honda's entry because they will lose massive audience. Imagine if Ferrari pulled out of F1.

Back