2009 NSX Mule Nurburgring Video

So can anyone tell by watching this if it's a mid engine or front engine by the way it handles?

Well it looks like they stretched the back out and it seems really heavy in the rear.

I'm probably wrong but it sounds and handles like a front/rear V-10. It's a funny engine note compared to a V-12.
The Edmonds animated video of the new NSX is fantastic. I want that car even if it is made of steel and has a front engine V-10.

somehow i think it was understeering much, looked like FWD type of handling to me. :tongue:

pause the video at 1:20-21. look at the size of that hood!

Last edited:
From the above link:

"When the unimpressive Acura Sports Car Concept debuted at the Detroit auto show in January, most thought it was a glimpse at the next-generation Acura NSX. Since then, Honda has been silent about its upcoming V10 supercar. Not anymore.

Wearing heavily modified S2000 sheet metal and riding on a platform with an extended wheelbase and wider track, the front-engine V10 test mule broke cover on Germany's famed Nürburgring test track. And like the upcoming GT-R supercar from Nissan, this Honda prototype was paced around the track by a Porsche 911 Turbo, proof that Honda means business"

I have THX headphones. When the car made the pass, I could hear the valves ticking followed by the rear tire tread humming milleseconds later, too long for the engine to be mounted near the rear tire. Mid engine would almost have the two sounds overlapping. That would lead me to believe it's FWD.

The engine sounds like a V10 and I'm willing to bet with 99% certainty that the engine is in the front by the understeer and dive coming out of one of the corners :mad:

We'll see what happens in the upcoming Tokyo Motor Show.

The valves sound like they are ticking in the front of the car.

I have THX headphones. When the car made the pass, I could hear the valves ticking followed by the rear tire tread humming milleseconds later, too long for the engine to be mounted near the rear tire. Mid engine would almost have the two sounds overlapping. That would lead me to believe it's FWD.

I'm sorry, I meant front engine. Duh! But now that I've watched the video again, I can hear front and rear axles as well. So not only is it front engine, but it's SH-AWD.

Oh my God. You must be part wolf. :biggrin:

If it's a front engine "modern muscle car" as opposed to a mid engine exotic sports car as it clearly appears, I place my bets on a total failure. There is too much competition with front engine high horsepower sportscars for Acura to make a dent. Honda has great engineers, but poor designers and marketeers. Just take a look at the Civic, Accord and RL. Amazing products with no point of view or personality. A front engine "muscle car" from Honda sounds like a waste. I'd rather supercharge my '91 NSX or buy a GT3 or track prepped Z06.
Just my humble opinion.

From the above link:

"When the unimpressive Acura Sports Car Concept debuted at the Detroit auto show in January, most thought it was a glimpse at the next-generation Acura NSX. Since then, Honda has been silent about its upcoming V10 supercar. Not anymore.

Wearing heavily modified S2000 sheet metal and riding on a platform with an extended wheelbase and wider track, the front-engine V10 test mule broke cover on Germany's famed Nürburgring test track. And like the upcoming GT-R supercar from Nissan, this Honda prototype was paced around the track by a Porsche 911 Turbo, proof that Honda means business"

I generally tend not to pay any attention to what the car mags are saying, since they usually have no clue. Just because the voice over said "front engine v10" doesn't mean that's what it has in there...how the hell would he know? Pure speculation based on rumors.

I have a Motor Trend article on my desk titled "NSX IS A GO!" coming late 2006 as a 2007 model. :redface:

If it's a front engine "modern muscle car" as opposed to a mid engine exotic sports car as it clearly appears, I place my bets on a total failure. There is too much competition with front engine high horsepower sportscars for Acura to make a dent. Honda has great engineers, but poor designers and marketeers. Just take a look at the Civic, Accord and RL. Amazing products with no point of view or personality. A front engine "muscle car" from Honda sounds like a waste. I'd rather supercharge my '91 NSX or buy a GT3 or track prepped Z06.
Just my humble opinion.

Totally agree :/

And I think more and more they are building classical FR 2+2 GT like F456 (in that case AWD isnt SUCH bad solution as those are driven by old ppl mainly) which would be OK if they had some MR to offer beside it.

I'm probably wrong but it really looked like it was a front engine AWD car. When it was pushed on the corners, I didn't see any rear end wiggle that I'm used to seeing with a front engine RWD car. Also, I watched several clips of modified WRXs, EVOs and even a Gallardo to compare and the way it carved around the track reminded most of a front engine AWD. AWD cars have this unique way of looking as if they are plowing yet maintaining a line and it looked like the car in the video was doing that as well; especially on the curve at the 1:14 mark. Also listen to when the driver throttles out of turns. It sounds as if he really hammers on it very early after the apex, something that is very noticable on RWD cars only because the tail will slide out quickly, but easy to do with AWD cars. Note that there is little to no steering correction ever as he exits the corners.

Last edited:
So, a front mounted V10 Honda sports car. Yeah that's fine whatever :rolleyes:

Just don't call it the NSX replacement. I find the very concept insulting. Sure Ferrari made a nice front engine GT car; however, I would wager that most Ferrari owners (and wannabee owners) favor the Mid-Engine design. Now I said MOST not ALL, before those that are hardcore fans of Ferrari GT cars come to their defense. If this FR V10 is also SH-AWD, I will be impressed. Still, most of us agree that it should have been a mid-mounted powerplant. And if they couldn't DO a V10 mid-mount, then they should have gone with the V8.

To not make the NSX replacement a rear engine drive sports car exotic is just............ridiculous.:frown:

Last edited:
the car must be exciting and that AWD cills it all. even if it performs, it will be an old mans ride.

Back