• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2007 Acura TL Navigation Retrofit (redux)

Well it feels like forever since I first came down this road back in October of 2004 when I started this project...

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41423

I was fairly satisfied with the results and was always planning on finishing up the trim, etc... This project also prompted me to change all the interior lighting to match the OEM TL colors.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65009

Then in 2007 Acura came out with the TL Type S and of course it had to be illuminated red as well to boot! Ever since then, I felt that the 2007 TL system is what I really wanted so I gutted the entire system, sold it including the wire harness and got my hands on the 2007 TL Navigation system.

I obtained a 2007 non-Type S radio since I was already at the point of no return on the interior illumination conversion but I did obtain the Type S Navigation System.

Standard 2007 System features
- Updated Version 4.x Acura Navigation (updated from 3.x to 4.x in 2006)
- 8" LCD touch screen (slightly higher resolution than 2004)
- 6 disc in-dash changer with DVD-A audio and Surround Sound Prologic / DTS processing
- XM Satellite receiver
- Voice Recognition for Radio and Navigation functions
- Bluetooth Hands Free Link (updated as the 2004 units had problems)
- Buttons for Hands Free and Voice Recognition

New Features and Additions
- Audio player now recognizes MP3 discs
- Audio player now accepts external Aux in via external input jack (auto sensing)
- Audio player has speed sensing volume control
- Rearview camera function from TL Type S when in reverse
- XM Traffic (AcuraLink)
- Surround audio amp from TL
- speakers from TL audio system
- sub display (not sure where to mount it yet)
- Audio Control HPX spatial sound processor

I went through the entire painstaking process are recreating a new wire harness again which was the most difficult task in my opinion. I did a test install to make sure the key components are functional. Pictures to follow.

I'd love to hear some opinions on how to get the glove compartment to look right. I'm removing the SRS brain as I need more room down there this time...

More to come...

As promised, here are some photos...

I decided to keep the side button surrounds this time so would not have to chop the buttons and made for a cleaner look and operation of the radio.

01-deckface.JPG

I chopped down the center console some more so I could flush mount the Navigation Buttons. The buttons are mounted to that trim via screws which is great because I can unscrew the buttons, mount the trim to the console and strip / repaint it all in one shot for a blended finish.

02-console_trim.JPG

Just holding it in place here to show how it would look flush with the console. I won't know the exact angle until I test fit it in the car so I'll likely secure the pieces and let it cure in the car, installed at the proper angles. I'm thinking of using weather striping as it will allow some movement afterward but still has high adhesion. Thoughts?

05-Console_trim.JPG

Ah, the clump o' wire harness. The bain of my project... I couldn't believe the amount of additional wiring when going with the new XM HIP traffic unit. Suddenly, it wasn't just a simple stand alone connection to the radio, it was integrated on a bus and sat in between the HFL / MIC, etc...

06-harness.JPG

The GPS and XM antennas were straight forward and installed on the dash and will be covered by the Nav pod. This was a test fit and to make sure they were working ok.

07-antennas.JPG

Had to grind the sides of the dash (where the green tape is) so that the radio would fit with the side button trims. I ground the material under the covers so restoring it just means putting some foam to fill. Just have to tighten up the fabric so it's a bit more flush.

07-initial_fitting.JPG

I know you guys love these shots... had to cut some more of the dash for the new LCD. They put a new connector in that needs more clearance.

08-another_cut.JPG

Yeah, I don't care how bad it looks as long as the LCD screen clears!

09-another_cut.JPG

The back of the LCD screen... it's that Blue connector!

10-lcd_screen.JPG

More pictures to follow...

I hooked up an Audio Control HPX to help with the spatial sound stage in the car. Sounds pretty good! I'm working on getting the Aux audio plug and 12V adaptor installed in the arm rest. I want it to look OEM so I've order parts from various other Honda / Acura's to make it look OEM.

Custom Nav and HFL buttons are coming...

Well, I've thought long and hard about the climate control and it's probably more work than it's worth. I've looked at the schematics for both the TL and the NSX and it can probably be done but the amount effort is enormous.

- first you'd need to use the TL climate control module integrated with the Display, etc
- then you'll need to match all the outputs from the TL module to the NSX HVAC
- all the outputs need to be the correct; voltages and resistances to match
- all the sensors need to interoperate or be replaced with TL sensors
- finally the TL uses buttons much like the NSX climate control but they don't fit which means I'd have to make custom buttons...

Last edited:
Everything looks good except for the the radio cassete player :cool:

LOL, yeah I know... 2007 TL Type S and it's still got a tape deck! C'est La Vie!

I considered the RDX unit which was a much better fit but the connectors were a nightmare and the RL unit was too large and looked a bit out of place in the NSX.

Then again, the NSX used the same tape deck only unit for 15 years! :confused:

A couple of night time shots to show the illumination and display...

This one is the 2007 TL sound system screen. Notice the SVC option under the Dolby Prologic II. That's the Speed Volume Control. It's got 3 settings and because the NSX is not generally a "quiet" car, the High setting is perfect.

Also notice the climate control lighting is weaker than the TL. The NSX climate control only has 2 bulbs lighting up everything and the TL has many bulbs, some of which are LEDs. I'll have to upgrade the climate control lighting to match the TLs.

11-illuminate1.JPG

This is one shows the Navigation screen...

12-illuminate2.JPG

More to come as I continue to work on this...

- hook up the rearview camera
- hook up the 12v accessory plug in the arm rest
- hook up the aux input in the arm rest
- complete the custom Voice Activation / HFL buttons
- and more...

Looks good. I know the work that needs to be done to make this all work together... good job.

I remember when I first signed up for Prime I came across I think the original thread while searching for info on replacing my stereo.

After a couple years I forgot about it and now it's resurfaced. Great project, great finished product, and great effort for keeping this going. You deserve a pat on the back, haha.

Stephen

I remember when I first signed up for Prime I came across I think the original thread while searching for info on replacing my stereo.

After a couple years I forgot about it and now it's resurfaced. Great project, great finished product, and great effort for keeping this going. You deserve a pat on the back, haha.

Stephen

Thanks man!

I never really finished it 100% and then I decided to start all over, and then I stored my car for almost 2 years... It's still not finished but it's functioning. I'm not as good with the cosmetic stuff or at least I can't spend the time these days to perfect it.

Phase 2 will be the audio portion... i.e. using the TL amp and replacing speakers...

I've got the entire TL Audio system as well... The TL Audio system is more than adequate for the NSX IMHO. I used to be a car audio nut. The car is a terrible environment as it is and the NSX is even worse given it's less than half the size of most car interiors.

The TL amp is small and is a 6 channel amp. I really only plan on using 3 channels anyway. Left / Right and Center (for the Nav prompts). I'm keeping the OEM sub as is until I feel I need more.

The TL amp will fit nicely in the SRS location. I've got a set of MB Quart QM separates that I plan to use for Left and Right. I'll use the OEM TL center channel. That will suffice for me, no additional weight or unnecessary audio overkill...

/subscribe :eek: omg this is sick!

Any ideas on how to integrate the TL steering wheel w/ this system? That wiring stuff drives me nuts! haha great work!

/subscribe :eek: omg this is sick!

Any ideas on how to integrate the TL steering wheel w/ this system? That wiring stuff drives me nuts! haha great work!

Thanks for the kudos...

Yes, I tackled that the first time around... check out this post from the original thread.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showpost.php?p=697306&postcount=58

I didn't bother with the audio buttons, just the Handsfree and HFL. What I'm working on now is to customize those 4 buttons so that they illuminate with the proper Handsfree / HFL icons instead of 4 fog lights! :wink:

Thanks for the kudos...

Yes, I tackled that the first time around... check out this post from the original thread.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showpost.php?p=697306&postcount=58

I didn't bother with the audio buttons, just the Handsfree and HFL. What I'm working on now is to customize those 4 buttons so that they illuminate with the proper Handsfree / HFL icons instead of 4 fog lights! :wink:

I am mainly interested in the audio functions...

I wonder if the TL wheel controls could be fitted to work w/ my Pioneer AVIC F90BT? :redface: When I had my NSX in the shop I was driving a 2009 TL and got spoiled with the push to start and the steering wheel controls... haha

I still reach for the start button and its not there haha!

I am mainly interested in the audio functions...

I wonder if the TL wheel controls could be fitted to work w/ my Pioneer AVIC F90BT? :redface: When I had my NSX in the shop I was driving a 2009 TL and got spoiled with the push to start and the steering wheel controls... haha

I still reach for the start button and its not there haha!

Using the same concept, in the NSX if you were to give up the Cruise buttons, those could be used for some of the audio function.

The TL wheel controls "theoretically" could be fitted to control anything... but is the Pioneer capable of external button input? Otherwise you'd be taking apart the Pioneer unit and tapping wires in parallel with the buttons you want... not sure if that's something you want to do... maybe integrate the Pioneer remote.

Using the same concept, in the NSX if you were to give up the Cruise buttons, those could be used for some of the audio function.

The TL wheel controls "theoretically" could be fitted to control anything... but is the Pioneer capable of external button input? Otherwise you'd be taking apart the Pioneer unit and tapping wires in parallel with the buttons you want... not sure if that's something you want to do... maybe integrate the Pioneer remote.

yes u can buy the remote accessory connection from Pioneer I believe so you don't have to take apart the AVIC :) sorry for the off topic...

GReat job,,, its looks awesome,,, Its kinda my model of what mine is gonna look like,, but looking at were you cut the dash originally,, with the 2005 screen, i didnt have to cut that deep,, and i was looking at the pics of the screen you were using and my connectors were in a different spot,, maybe different vendors for the screens were used,, I only had to cut about a half inchX half inch cut,, nice job though!!

Can you post some more shots of the completed installation in the daytime vs. night? I'd like to see how it all lines up when done, gaps, color of black compared to the HVAC black, etc.

Back