2005 RL info and drawings.. WOW

I dunno. AWD systems typically add 300 lbs to a vehicle. Not my prescription for an agile car. Honda needs to add some RWD cars besides the NSX if it is to appeal to this market.

And I doubt the car will look like the sketch shown - this is very much a concept drawing.

Soichiro said:
I dunno. AWD systems typically add 300 lbs to a vehicle. Not my prescription for an agile car. Honda needs to add some RWD cars besides the NSX if it is to appeal to this market.

How is that? They are going for the Lexus GS/LS market... those are not exactly agile or light....

The E-class is not light by anymeans... the BMW 5 series is freaking butt ugly and way overpriced and underpowered...

I think this car will appeal very well to the market it is going after.

Hehe...I don't think agility is something at the top of an RL engineer's list. Though it'd be nice to have.

I like the direction Honda is going with the new TL, TSX, and RL. Very much driver cars.

The SH-AWD is absolutely brilliant - precisely what keeps us fascinated with Hondas. Real engineering as opposed to gadgets like BMW's idrive - engineering that doesn't really break any new ground or that anybody actually needs or wants.:cool:

The shape of the car is definitely more aggressive but the rear end looks like an Accord Coupe!

Last edited:
Looks like the Prelude SH ATTS system is back but with AWD now....very nice....

The ATTS system is way better than any LSD system as well

They ran a base prelude vs. a prelude SH w/ atts and the same driver in back to back laps. Even with the increased weight of the system (75lbs) the Type-SH dropped 2 full seconds over the Base.

edit: that's really interesting while doing straight line driving all wheel drive, the harder you accelerate the more power is directed to the rear wheels, when you turn it redistributes all the necessary power to handle perfectly.

sounds expensive :eek:

It will be on display at the NY Auto Show April 9-18 http://world.honda.com/news/2004/4040401_nyias.html

Considering it debuts in a week it's quite likely those drawings are very pretty accurate

Love the sketch! The (probably photoshopped) images not so much. I'd like to think of the rear-end resembing the new Accord coupe as a good thing;)

NetViper said:
This car sounds awesome and if it looks like this... wow.. it will be amazing.

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=217602

Sketches are useless, I place no importance on them and won't comment on this supposed RL sketch. However the tech info in the piece is very compelling, could be a great car. Lots of "New Lexus GS AWD vs. Acural RL AWD" pieces to be written by the major mags for sure once they both arrive.

Also, anyone griping about the AWD is clueless. Go take a spin in a FWD TL and enjoy the wrestling match that occurs between you and the steering wheel anytime you hammer the gas. Horrid.

And as the Infiniti G35X proves, the addition of AWD hardware doesn't have to dramatically affect performance times.

Looking forward to the RL, should be a hit.

The new TL has problems with Torque steer or bad tuning of the Limited slip differential. I drove the 6 speed and the steering did tug all over when you accelerate, even in a straight line. Very un-Honda like.

Shifter and clutch is OK by other cars standards, but probably one of the worst sticks compare to recent Honda vehicles. Stick is not that precise.

The AWD on the RL is a step in the right direction. Let's just hope all this complicated gears are reliable.

Silver F16 said:
The AWD on the RL is a step in the right direction. Let's just hope all this complicated gears are reliable.

The Prelude Type-SH Active Torque Transfer System was used from 97-01 and had very little problems despite all the electronics and mechanical components involved.

It's also the reason it was chosen by C&D as the best handling car for under $30,000

The SH-AWD system should be building on that and then some.

JimK said:
Love the sketch! The (probably photoshopped) images not so much. I'd like to think of the rear-end resembing the new Accord coupe as a good thing;)

Since this was in the Acura press release, you have an indication of how the new RL will look like. Remember the red drawing of the new '02 NSX in the Acura press release? It was cartoonish but fairly accurate on the actual new front design of the '02+ car.

Last edited:
gheba_nsx said:
Hmmm no mention about HP power... with that size and current market, 350 hp are a must!

Could it have the same engine as the HSC with different tuning?

I doubt it. It might give you an idea of where the HSC motor will end up, but there are several things that are working agiainst it.

- RL is heavy would require a low end powerband, HSC would be a high revving wide powerband
- RL is a complicated SH-AWD system and a front mounted engine whereas the HSC is MR
- Likely no VTEC or i-VTEC for the RL, or only single cam, HSC DOHC VTEC or DOHC i-VTEC for sure

It will probably be similar to the HSC like the old RL and Legend motors were to the NSX: kinda, but not really.

satan_srv said:
- Likely no VTEC or i-VTEC for the RL, or only single cam, HSC DOHC VTEC or DOHC i-VTEC for sure

u were doing well until this comment. Almost EVERY Honda car sold in USA has VTEC, and most of the newer ones have i-vtec. Considering the fact that the RL is a flagship vehicle, I'm sure it will have i-VTEC.

Last edited:
gheba_nsx said:
Actually if I remember correctly, the engine block were the same at that time: a Legend engine, tuned differently and with VTEC added.

I imagine that could happen again, no?

they are c-series blocks...but as many people have found out they aren't very close in many ways..oil and coolant passages etc etc..

besides if I wanted to sell a unique supercar I wouldn't want the stigma of having an Accord engine in it. This isn't the Nissan 3.5L engine after all :p the town ho of the industry

NSXLuvr said:
u were doing well until this comment. Almost EVERY Honda car sold in USA has VTEC, and most of the newer ones have i-vtec. Considering the fact that the RL is a flagship vehicle, I sure it will have i-VTEC.

well the old RL didn't...and if you read my comment more closely I conceded that it may have single cam VTEC

Back