2004 for 20K?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw this add in Autotrader and couldn't believe it. 20K for a 2004 and it siad California for the car. When I contacted the guy, got this reply. Watch out! Definately a scam in my opinion! I have always gotten good info off this site so I wanted to "do my part" to alert soon-to-be owners.

Thanks for your interest in my car.The price is correct(20k).Introducing the ACURA have you been dreaming of owning a gorgeous car.I'm the first owner and the car was always in garage kept .(see PICS).The NSX is like no other vehicle on the road. This is one of the most powerful vehicles in existence. The sleek lines of design truly show the race car like aerodynamics. This NSX is just stunning to look at. The Orange exterior is the factory finish.Once opened you'll notice only the highest quality used to cover all surfaces. The soft supple orange leather seats are in NEW condition showing BARE minimal signs of wear if any!!When you sit, you'll make yourself comfortable with POWER seating. These seats are equipped with a messaging airbag lumbar support system that will be appreciated.Ahead is your race car like gauge cluster with a reliable on board self diagnoses system alerting you of any maintenance needed. To your left are you power mirrors and ONE touch feature windows.You'll appreciate that this vehicle was a NON SMOKER VEHICLE!! Make this ACURA NSX the one to own! This car is orange with a orange interior and is waiting to take you anywhere in style.You have to know that the vehicle is in UK,London and it has American registration and title.The car condition is excelent(how you can see in the picture) , with no scratches, no accidents. All inspections were made, has all 2004 EPA and DOT standards.So it is legally to be driven in US and Canada .Everything is good with the car. If you are still interested ,please write back and we'll talk about the payment and shipment possibilities,The reason I am selling it is that the car have left hand drive and here in UK,London I can't drive the car because all the car have right hand drive and I can't register the car where I'm right now.I try to sell the car here in UK but I can't because the legislation is not like US and all the car need to have right hand drive.For I sell the car here I need to spend alot of money with the modification and for this I want to sell the car in US.I have tried to sell it locally but nobody is interested therefore I have to sell it to someone in US.If you are interested the shipping will be free.
The vin# for this car is JH4NA21622T000082.

For further questions I will be at your disposal via email.
Thank you in advance for your understanding

I don't think there is any question that this is a scam.

This guy is not even very good at lying. I hope that if I ever take to a life of crime, that I will be a little more clever than that.

Ticomba74 said:
I saw this add in Autotrader and couldn't believe it. 20K for a 2004 and it siad California for the car.
The listings (there are two of them) are for a 2002, not a 2004. This car belongs to a member of the NSX Club of America. I just sent the owner an e-mail to verify whether or not the car is for sale at this price. If not, I will make sure he or I contacts Autotrader to notify them of the attempted fraud.

Left hand drive cars can be owned and driven in the UK, my NSX is LHD and it was imported from Germany and registered in the UK. I used it there.

As it says that it still has US registration, it was imported to the UK privately. Which means no duty was paid. (Exempt for private use). But that also means he is supposed to take the car back to the US himself, and not to sell in the UK.

In order to make it UK legal (for sale), he will need to unregister it in the US. Then convert it to UK specification. (fog lights, speedo to mph, and type approval certificate. Then ESVA test. Being LHD is OK). All this could cost between $500-$1000 only. If it is his car, then he will probably not need to pay customs duty, but if he owned it for less than 6 months then he will have to pay 10% + 17.5% on value of the vehicle + shipping cost.

I'll go and have a look at the car if you want.

nsxtasy said:
The listings (there are two of them) are for a 2002, not a 2004. This car belongs to a member of the NSX Club of America. I just sent the owner an e-mail to verify whether or not the car is for sale at this price. If not, I will make sure he or I contacts Autotrader to notify them of the attempted fraud.

I simply assumed it was a lease.

$833/month x 24 mo.= 20K

CRX B16B VTEC said:
...I'll go and have a look at the car if you want.

I seriously doubt that this car is even in the UK. I bet that the bogus seller will vanish like a "fart in the wind" if you try to see the car.

We should have an Ebay/Autotrader scam forum as more and more of these scams pop up everyday.

nsxtasy said:
The owner has informed me that the car is for sale by a dealer, Symbolic Motors, in California, where the car is located (NOT in the UK :rolleyes: ). You can see the real for sale listing on their website here. It does not list an asking price, but I'm sure we all realize that the market value of the car is roughly three times the price listed on Autotrader. You can also see that this is where the photos in the Autotrader listings were stolen from.

I have sent an e-mail to Autotrader to notify them of the fraud that their scammer(s) are attempting to perpetrate. I have also sent an e-mail to Symbolic Motors to notify them of the situation as well.

I'm sure Autotrader will delete these listings within the next 24 hours. I'm also quite confident that they will take no action against the seller (just conjecture on my part, but I would be shocked if anything came of this).

What really scares me is that, if a scammer tried to perpetrate the same fraud but listed the car at 80-90 percent of its market value, instead of only one third, the chances of him actually succeeding would be much higher, because it wouldn't be so conspicuous that it gets posted about, and followed up, here on NSXprime.

CRX B16B VTEC said:
Left hand drive cars can be owned and driven in the UK, my NSX is LHD and it was imported from Germany and registered in the UK. I used it there.

As it says that it still has US registration, it was imported to the UK privately. Which means no duty was paid. (Exempt for private use). But that also means he is supposed to take the car back to the US himself, and not to sell in the UK.

In order to make it UK legal (for sale), he will need to unregister it in the US. Then convert it to UK specification. (fog lights, speedo to mph, and type approval certificate. Then ESVA test. Being LHD is OK). All this could cost between $500-$1000 only. If it is his car, then he will probably not need to pay customs duty, but if he owned it for less than 6 months then he will have to pay 10% + 17.5% on value of the vehicle + shipping cost.

I'll go and have a look at the car if you want.
The reason he mentions the US tags, is because he stole pictures of a US car, and he needs to have a story ready in case someone notices this detail.

wow, i hope thats symbolic motors here in la jolla CA.

They always have a great selection of lambos/f-cars.

I'll have to go checkit out!

BTW I like the perfed leather on the 02 X, when did they start that?

One really quick question. If this was legitimate in the slightest way, why (as stated above) would the seller want to get rid of the car for 20K$. To me this is almost a waste of bandwith. You will NEVER get a 2004 NSX for $20K, never, unless it looks like this .......

nsx_120902_003.jpg

I enquired about a similar car on Autotrader. The reply was almost word for word for what you had recieved except the guy said the car was in Milan Italy.

I said yep no problems I'll Fly to italy to buy the car just send some details so i can verify what you are selling & i never heard back. Although I knew it was a scam from the beginning. 1998 for $6000 yeah right.

qirex said:
wow, i hope thats symbolic motors here in la jolla CA.
Yes, that's the one.

I guess you didn't try clicking the link to their website listing that I included in my previous post... ;)

nsxtasy said:
Yes, that's the one.

I guess you didn't try clicking the link to their website listing that I included in my previous post... ;)

Yeah, i clicked on it.

Didnt care to navigate through their site fully prior to responding to the previous thread.

They've got a sweet yellow 355GTS with my name all over it however...

:eek:

qirex said:
Yeah, i clicked on it.

Didnt care to navigate through their site fully prior to responding to the previous thread.
No navigation was required. I guess you didn't notice the title of the web page for the link (the title that appears at the very top of your browser screen, if you're using IE):

"Symbolic Motor Car Company: premium car source in La Jolla, California"

:D

Looks like the two scam listings on Autotrader are still available... :mad:

nsxtasy said:
No navigation was required. I guess you didn't notice the title of the web page for the link (the title that appears at the very top of your browser screen, if you're using IE):

"Symbolic Motor Car Company: premium car source in La Jolla, California"

Wheres the ignore function...I feel like my jewish grandmother is in the house. I'm going up to symbolic this afternoon...enjoy the snow.

:rolleyes:

From the ad....
Ahead is your race car like gauge cluster with a reliable on board self diagnoses system alerting you of any maintenance needed.

Wow neato! Is this a new feature? I wish all cars had that. That would be super duper! :rolleyes:

qirex said:
Wheres the ignore function...I feel like my jewish grandmother is in the house. I'm going up to symbolic this afternoon...enjoy the snow.

:rolleyes:
I suggest you adjust your attitude before you buy an NSX and before you continue posting here on NSXprime. Most of us are trying to help each other (by sharing information and even to the extent of trying to put an end to scammers, as you can see). You, OTOH, refuse to even help yourself (by looking in the FAQ and other links that I and others have provided to you) and instead spend your time making totally uncalled-for insults and apparent ethnic slurs. NSXprime is not a place to display your attitude - everything from insults to your refusal to use the terminology that other NSX owners use. Maybe it's common to act like a jerk on the Nissan boards - I don't know, I've never browsed them - but it's not considered acceptable here.

P.S. You must live in California, since you obviously have no idea of what weather is like in much of the country in the middle of November. Daytime temperatures are in the upper forties to mid fifties here, and the last of the gorgeous fall foliage is falling. You should get out more.

Last edited:
nsxtasy said:
Still there, after a full business day. :(

While it doesn't surprise me that Autotrader is slow to act - this is consistent with past experience (contrasted with eBay, their sister company, which is quick at removing scam auctions, if not at taking other actions) - I am really surprised that I haven't seen evidence of any action from the dealer who is actually selling the car. While I don't expect them to contact me, I would think they would be screaming bloody murder to Autotrader to get them to delete the fraudulent auctions for their car (lest anyone get confused and wonder whether their own listing is in error).

nsxtasy said:
I suggest you adjust your attitude before you buy an NSX and before you continue posting here on NSXprime. Most of us are trying to help each other (by sharing information and even to the extent of trying to put an end to scammers, as you can see). You, OTOH, refuse to even help yourself (by looking in the FAQ and other links that I and others have provided to you) and instead spend your time making totally uncalled-for insults and apparent ethnic slurs. NSXprime is not a place to display your attitude - everything from insults to your refusal to use the terminology that other NSX owners use. Maybe it's common to act like a jerk on the Nissan boards - I don't know, I've never browsed them - but it's not considered acceptable here.

P.S. You must live in California, since you obviously have no idea of what weather is like in much of the country in the middle of November. Daytime temperatures are in the upper forties to mid fifties here, and the last of the gorgeous fall foliage is falling. You should get out more.

you my friend are the one in need of *adjustment*.

What do you have against my *jewish* grandmother who lives in long islan and yes she does NAG and play know it all.
I'm not the forum geek that you are, so if i dont want to use a search thats my ish.

you simply dont have to respond.

enjoy the rain then ballsack.

e

I haven't signed on for a week or so....did this turn into the Camaro board :rolleyes:

Guys and gals...lets stay on topic here. If you all want to keep cracking at each other please do it privately via PM and not in this thread. Thank you.

This is the same Scamer that had a Blue auto- for sale ~ a month ago, I later saw that a dealer has it advertised on the net.
I believe the scum was using Ebay and was booted.
By the way I assume most of you have heard about the "809" area code scam.
DONT ever call a 809 area code. It will cost you thousands.SO I have been told.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back