2003 Acura MDX VS. VW Touareg

Have you check http://www.acuranews.com ?
New 2003 MDX with lots of new features.
20 HP More, more safety features.
I like the rear view camera features too
smile.gif

Now, the 2004 VW Touareg is V8, more HP more torque, but only 5 seats. Same price at $40,000. Too bad it is availabe around mid 2003.
http://www.vwvortex.com/features/07_02/07_08/index.shtml

Which one will you get for traveling/ vacation?

[This message has been edited by insx (edited 20 September 2002).]

Originally posted by insx:
Which one will you get for traveling/ vacation?

No question. I'd get the MDX. It's been widely evaluated as the best mid-size SUV on the market. It's got Honda reliability. And with a continued short supply, it ought to hold its market value VERY well.

Besides, I would be embarrassed to tell people that I had a "Touareg" and face the repeated question, "A WHAT???" That's a colossally stupid name. Marketing 101: Never give your product a name that no one knows how to pronounce.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 21 September 2002).]

Before I forget,
I want to thank Ken for his suggestion VOTE for MDX.
I am a very happy owner of the BEST "SPORT" Utility Vehicle. I am very happy with the handling and performance of this SUV.

I am sure many of the MDX owners on this forum agree too. Have you guys join the SF Bay Area MDX meeting?

Thanks again Ken.
smile.gif

------------------
--
'03 MDX Starlight Silver/Ebony
- 260 HP :) -> miles start to climb
'94 NSX Brooklands Green Pearl/ Onyx
- 10k miles
- GruppeM Intake & Exhaust V.3
'01 M3 Laguna Seca Blue/ Grey - 5k miles
'93 300SE MBZ - 97k miles and running strong :)

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
I would be embarrassed to tell people that I had a "Touareg" and face the repeated question, "A WHAT???" That's a colossally stupid name. Marketing 101: Never give your product a name that no one knows how to pronounce.

What about the Murcielago?
wink.gif

I'd get the MDX too. VW's have the image of being a chick's car.

car&driver has a comparison test of 8 suvs in its january issue. the vw is rated ahead of the mdx, with the lexus offering between them in second place.

I get 22 MPG on highway.
And 15-17 MPG on City.
Now show me an SUV (except the Honda Pilot) that get that mileage with the same power 260 bhp @ 5750 rpm
Torque 250 lb-ft @ 3500-5000 rpm
and to top it all it has that VTECH SCREAMING we love from NSX plus the DRIVE-BY-WIRE THROTTLE CONTROL (adopted from the new NSX -> very smooth just like my M3 when I test drove the 02 NSX) is the best.
smile.gif

------------------
--
'03 MDX Starlight Silver/Ebony
- 260 HP :) -> miles start to climb
'94 NSX Brooklands Green Pearl/ Onyx
- 10k miles
- GruppeM Intake & Exhaust V.3
'01 M3 Laguna Seca Blue/ Grey - 5k miles
'93 300SE MBZ - 97k miles and running strong :)

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
I would be embarrassed to tell people that I had a "Touareg" and face the repeated question, "A WHAT???" That's a colossally stupid name. Marketing 101: Never give your product a name that no one knows how to pronounce.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 21 September 2002).]

This theory can also apply to the name Cayenne.

In some other part of the world, people able to pronounce the brand name is the name of the game. That is why Bavarian Motor Works became BMW, Ketucky Fried Chicken became KFC, and majority of people outside of English speaking countries call Mercedes as "Benz".

But I would prefer to have the Touareg over the MDX.

nsx2000,
I guess it depends on how many family, friends or stuff you need to stuff in your SUV. I used my SUV to move BIG, LARGE & SMALL stuff to my new house. It can haul a love seat sofa, a Full Size bed, 12 feet wood boards or bringing 7 passengers
smile.gif

Plus all the gardening, plants, plus groceries at Costco
smile.gif
(we always pack the whole third row full) that I don't think can fit a Touareg.

I just cannot believe that this car has been 3 years into production but many people on the street or car still say "NICE CAR" when I pass them on my MDX.

I guess I choose the VW because it still hasn't hit the market yet and I won't have kids and grandma to haul around for at least 5-8 years down the road. The $40,000 for a V8 equipped european SUV also sounds like a good deal.

NeoNSX: VW is considered a chick car there too?

I'd get the MDX. Especially after playing with one at the car show here, maybe I'll get one... dunno. The upcoming TSX will still probably become my next car since it's much cheaper.

After reading all the recent hype on the 'twahreg' I might be sold. I think it looks at lot better than the Porsche too (why oh why try to make a 911 look like a sport ute?).

The first upgrade I would make after purchasing it would be to remove the name badge from the back of it.

Heard on Italian TV today... Lamborghini is planning to have a 3 car line-up for 2004 (together with Murcielago and Gallardo) and it is under study now a "crossover car" that could be the ideal successor of the LM002 from th '80s. The powerful SUV world could have a new hero? Maybe based on the Touareg/Cayenee platform (same Audi/VW group)?

A reminder about the old monster that used the Countach V12 engine:
lm002.jpg

I saw once live, it is HUGE.

hey guys, just got done with some intensive car shopping. Here's what I learned/observed.

VW----everybody I talked to ragged on vw's reliability of recent. What I did was mentioned all the vehicles I was looking at and asked what they thought. Universally, VW was considered problematic. Too bad, because the Twahtreg sounded pretty good.

Drove the mdx, pilot, range rover, escalade, mercedes and the new volvo sport utes.

MY rankings from worst to best; escalade, mercedes, mdx, pilot, volvo.

Not to be blasphemous in the 'house of honda', but the pilot really did feel like a better ride than the mdx. The mdx was not nearly as comfortable as the volvo, and really seemed like a 'honda', while the volvo felt like a bmw style ride.

anyway, IMO only. You shoppers out there should check out the volvo sport ute. VERY nice ride. I almost bought it, but decided to keep our current vehicle instead. The used car market is very depressed right now. I did get the volvo s-60 for my daily driver, though. Very fun car.

Wait to see the Infiniti FX45. 8cyl, 310HP, 329ft/lb, 0-60mph in 6sec., .89g cornering, 20" wheels standard, low $40K. (6 cyl. version high $30K). Best SUV deal on the planet ! Check it out on www.freshalloy.com

My (or should I say my brother's) experience with VW has definitely been CRAP. He bought a 2000 VW Jetta new and it was in the shop 3 times within the first 3 months. First time was for 1 week. The problems I REMEMBERED that he had over the two years he had it were:

- Sunroof leaked. (In weak Southern CA rain.) Never fixed.

- Couldn't put gasoline in the tank. Replaced entire tank.

- Disappearing oil. That thing ate oil like crazy ... I couldn't believe it.

- Blown struts. Leaking. Had to replace 1.5 years after ownership.

- Check engine lights, and oil warning lights turn on for no reason (there was plenty of oil when the oil warning light is on).

etc. etc.

He replaced it with another VW... an Audi A4 1.8T. That was in the shop within the first 3 months. Check engine light, etc. I believe something was wrong with the turbo. He had that car for one year before going to China. He sold the car to a friend... it was in the shop for two weeks... he was already out of the country before the Audi dealer fixed a mysterious overheating problem.

I'd stay away from VW...

6 friends with current model Jettas and 2 with Beatles are all I need to know to stay very far away from VW. Has the MDX had any bugs even worth mentioning? Doubt it. Just think how many bs problems will arise during the VW's first year or two here. I too like their cars, but quality is just not there yet-VW does have a good looking product line though.

I drove the Marano yesterday. Very weird sensation under acceleration, like a snow mobile. Totally shiftless transmission. Nice SUV but there are better deals to be had for 35K+. How would everyone here feel about the Touareg if it had been badged Audi instead?

So how many of you have test driven the new 2003 MDX?

and

How do you like the drive
smile.gif

didnt really care for the mdx. actually thought the pilot felt a little better, which is great considering the price savings. a really loaded up pilot is still several grand cheaper than the acura badge.

Surprisingly, my favorite ride was definately the volvo xc90. Liked it better than the mdx/pilot/mercedes/escalade---only thing i couldnt compare it to was the toureg, because they werent here yet.

Back