2003 20K miles replaced engine

Hi everyone,
I posted this in someone else's thread and i thought i would get a better response if i started a new thread.

I have found a 2003 nsx with 20k at a dealer (not acura)near me. I told them i noticed they bought the car that went through auction last month and was wondering what they needed out of the car (thanks dxd). They are going to check with the owner and get back with me tomorrow. The other question i asked them was that the car was listed as below average condition, why was that. They told me that they had to replace the engine in the car. :confused:

Any ideas as too how much the engine being replaced will hurt the value of the car? The car has a clean carfax and appears to be in very good condition.

I would really like to know what you guys think.:smile:

Thanks

comtec said:
Hi everyone,
I posted this in someone else's thread and i thought i would get a better response if i started a new thread.

I have found a 2003 nsx with 20k at a dealer (not acura)near me. I told them i noticed they bought the car that went through auction last month and was wondering what they needed out of the car (thanks dxd). They are going to check with the owner and get back with me tomorrow. The other question i asked them was that the car was listed as below average condition, why was that. They told me that they had to replace the engine in the car. :confused:

Any ideas as too how much the engine being replaced will hurt the value of the car? The car has a clean carfax and appears to be in very good condition.

I would really like to know what you guys think.:smile:

Thanks

Never heard of a blown NSX motor with such low miles:confused:

I dont think that a car with a new engine will hurt its resale value...... but are they going to replace the engine with a new one or a rebuilt ?

Acura NsX Pilot said:
I dont think that a car with a new engine will hurt its resale value...... but are they going to replace the engine with a new one or a rebuilt ?
The engine has already been replaced. Not sure if was new or not, i will ask them tomorrow when they call back.

I forgot to mention, the car is still under warranty untill june of '07 so i guess it was replaced under warranty.

Last edited:
comtec said:

The "money shift" occurs when you downshift improperly (for example, shifting from 4th to 1st) and over-rev thereby blowing your engine resulting in incurring the expense of buying a new engine.

RSO 34 said:
The "money shift" occurs when you downshift improperly (for example, shifting from 4th to 1st) and over-rev thereby blowing your engine resulting in incurring the expense of buying a new engine.

Thanks, never heard it called that before.:biggrin:

I spoke with the dealer today and they told me that they had to replace the engine , acura would not replace under warranty because of abuse. They said the engine was $12k brand new from acura so they had $55k in the car. I didn't even wait to hear their price because i can get one acura certified for $55k that hasn't been abused.

The hunt continues. :frown:

Interesting story. I had my old AP1 engine replaced by honda at 60k miles under Honda Care. The engine had oil starvation problem due to lack of oil. They didn't charge me a dime. The car was sold at market value, they buyer was happy because he bought a 68k miles care with a new engine replaced by Honda.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...ngine=&fuel=&doors=&style_flag=1&cardist=1014

Don't know how far away that is from you. But I remember when my cousin was looking for his 02+ NSX he ended up buying something that was under the 4/50k waranty and instead just purchased 7/100k warranty through the Acura Dealer from Acura itself. Therefore no need to find a Certified Acura NSX. This one probably wont apply for those rules, but you can always have the dealer buy the car from you and you buy it back ;)

I've had that done on our S600 so, there are always ways to find um good and cheap. Good Luck.

Vancehu said:
Interesting story. I had my old AP1 engine replaced by honda at 60k miles under Honda Care. The engine had oil starvation problem due to lack of oil. They didn't charge me a dime. The car was sold at market value, they buyer was happy because he bought a 68k miles care with a new engine replaced by Honda.

Hi vance,
It would not matter to me that the engine had been replaced but they just have too much $ in the car for it too be a good deal for me.

CarCrazed4Life said:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...ngine=&fuel=&doors=&style_flag=1&cardist=1014

Don't know how far away that is from you. But I remember when my cousin was looking for his 02+ NSX he ended up buying something that was under the 4/50k waranty and instead just purchased 7/100k warranty through the Acura Dealer from Acura itself. Therefore no need to find a Certified Acura NSX. This one probably wont apply for those rules, but you can always have the dealer buy the car from you and you buy it back ;)

I've had that done on our S600 so, there are always ways to find um good and cheap. Good Luck.

Stay away from that car!! It has problems.:eek:

Thanks

comtec said:
I spoke with the dealer today and they told me that they had to replace the engine , acura would not replace under warranty because of abuse. They said the engine was $12k brand new from acura so they had $55k in the car. I didn't even wait to hear their price because i can get one acura certified for $55k that hasn't been abused.

The hunt continues. :frown:

A replaced motor makes no difference to me as long as the motor is strong and better than before.

However, there is no WAY they got that motor for $12K new. The NSX motor is like $28,000 new.. and no, that is not a typo.

NetViper said:
A replaced motor makes no difference to me as long as the motor is strong and better than before.

However, there is no WAY they got that motor for $12K new. The NSX motor is like $28,000 new.. and no, that is not a typo.
That is what they said they paid for the shortblock. Since they sale mainly honda and acura program cars and have authorized service plus they thought that i was a dealer, that my be the dealer price for a shortblock. Or the engine may have been replaced under warranty and they were just trying to get an extra $12k out of me.:rolleyes:

zahntech said:
I would be curious to know why it failed.
Hi Zahn,
I was told It needs $10k-15k to get it road worthy. The seller/dealer didn't know the trouble the car had when they bought it at an auction.

comtec said:
I was told it failed a PPI

:rolleyes:

That tells us a lot.....

So this other car, the '03 with 20K miles and a brand new(?) engine..... you think $55K is too much ? :confused:

A yellow '03 with 21K miles sold here in NJ just recently for $57K and THAT was 5-6K below "market". :smile:

Back