2002 FRONT conversions ??

Any pix from those who have converted their front end (fixed HID headlamps, front bumper cover, etc) to 2002 spec ?? Please post them here.
http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/003542.html 02 upgrade kits for sale
http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/003525.html Honda releases 02 front facelift costs
http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/003662.html Enrique's headlamp conversion

Enrique (pronto3000) -- you there ??

TIA

[This message has been edited by cojones (edited 11 April 2002).]

Originally posted by pronto3000:
Yes: I'm here, what would you like to know.
My car is ready and pictures would be taken hopefully on Saturday.
Thanks!

Did they need to replace the front hood? This was discussed earlier, IMO inconclusively.

Looking forward to seeing the pix
biggrin.gif

Ok:Here we go:

1)In my case,as far as the lights itself goes, I only bought everything for the lights set up, and everything fits perfect, no mods needed.

2)You will need to buy the new hood, why, because the new one has a totally different cut out around the headlights, in my case, it was just the matter to modify my RM hood, We only had to add material to compensate for the missing dimensions around the headlights.

3)Stock fenders works perfect, however you would need to buy a need front bumper set up, unless you have a fiberglass bumper that allows you to shape it like such.

4)Rear Valance: It is a piece of cake, just take out the old one, and install the new one, as simple as is. As far as the mufflers, in my case I have the B&B with the oval tips and it works perfect.

Enrique

[This message has been edited by pronto3000 (edited 11 April 2002).]

I recently received these pictures from Wilson Sham on the NSX Club of Hong Kong. He is in the process of updating his NSX to a 2002 front/rear. I see he has replaced his quarter panels, but Enrique says you do not have to so I e-mailed Wilson to see if he replaced his for a different reason. Anyway here are the pics of the front. I'll post the rear pics under the other thread.

2002conv3.jpg

2002conv4.jpg

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 11 April 2002).]

You bring a top notch car to a top notch place, for top notch work, for top dollar, and still have to deal with over-spray on the front hood. What is with these bodyshops nowadays?

Here is additional info from Wilson on the conversion project, as well as two more photos showing where they had to cut away a but inside the headlight area. Please note when he is talking about 90 model, that in some other countries (including Japan) they refer to a car's year as the actual year of sale. In the US we have a "model year" designation where you can often by a car that is a full "model year" ahead of the calendar year. So an NSX produced and sold in 1990 in the US was called a 1991 model year here, but would be called a 1990 car in many other countries.

Basically,the whole can divided into the following section:

Front bumper,bonnet and fix lamp section.
Side step and door panel section.
Rear diffuser section.
Rear lamp section.
Rear boot lip section.

The most difficult section could be the front, for the rest, it is just as easy as bolt on, as do it yourself. The new HID fix head lamp need to seat inside to the old pop up lamp base,part of the base flame need to be cut. (I will e-mail you a photo in 5 min later) Also, the new lamp need few point to support. Thats why the 2002 fender got a joining leg at the front near the bumper section.

The reason that I bought the brand new fender because my right fender had been repair before, and the shape are not so good. Also,when I was in JAPAN, the HONDA people told me the fender are different, well, I found out the parts number are different to the 90 model, but they are same, except the extension leg that I told. Also, for US owners, the rear diffuser can be just bolt on to their 90 bumper. And the reason why I bought a new bumper, because I used to have the UK style number plate bumper. Well, my project NSX are nearly finish. I will send you the photos on next Sat for the POTM. I hope I can share that with other US owners,as well as for those who plan to change their NSX with 2002 face, they can feel free to ask me.

2002conv5.jpg

2002conv6.jpg

(4)Rear Valance: It is a piece of cake, just take out the old one, and install the new one, as simple as is. As far as the mufflers, in my case I have the B&B with the oval tips and it works perfect.
Will it work with the dual-tip (e.g., B&B with DTM tips, or TUBI) models ??

Also -- is it a single BIG piece -- valance + side spats, or are these separate ??

Originally posted by cojones:
(4)Rear Valance: It is a piece of cake, just take out the old one, and install the new one, as simple as is. As far as the mufflers, in my case I have the B&B with the oval tips and it works perfect.
Will it work with the dual-tip (e.g., B&B with DTM tips, or TUBI) models ??

Also -- is it a single BIG piece -- valance + side spats, or are these separate ??

Manuel --

Working on a conversion here in Seattle. The front bumper of the 2002 is also required for use with the lights.

The spats and rear valence are one piece.

-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

http://sacramento.nsxca.org/Events/thunderhill_driving_school_4-02.htm

Rear Valance is one piece all together.
I'm not sure but I dont think there is enough
room for the dual DTM or Tubi Style.

I wanted to buy the Tubi but I dont think it will fit.

Enrique

Are the 2002 replacement parts from the factory or off a car that has been wrecked? The reason I ask is the car is blue and the replacement parts are whit. The white parts seem extremely shiny for factory primer. Is this how the parts come from the factory?

Originally posted by ScienceofSpeed:
Working on a conversion here in Seattle. The front bumper of the 2002 is also required for use with the lights.
Cool... any rough estimates on install (fit/prep/paint - time and materials) costs?

It would be nice if Dali or SOS would make a fixed headlamp kit that looks like the stock 02'. It would be nice to merely have to buy the headlamp unit itself rather than basically replace the front half of the car.

I like the look of that one fixed headlamp kit, but the site says it is only for off road use
frown.gif

Originally posted by Edwardo:
I like the look of that one fixed headlamp kit, but the site says it is only for off road use
frown.gif
I like the look of it too... and YES, it WILL work for "on road use" as well.
biggrin.gif

These are JGTC style headlamps from Pop Noshimura. Available from several folks, including Science of Speed and Cybernation Motorsports.

[This message has been edited by cojones (edited 31 May 2002).]

Back