2001 Acura CLS Auto - hard to shift out of park problem.

Alot of recalls on the Honda 5-speed automatic transmissions. I would also check all-data for TSB's on it.

they will honor it ONLY if the car is under warranty....believe me we have been through it. tranny went out at 101k miles, warranty ended at 100k miles. Dealer tried everything under the sun not to pay for the repair. Things worked out in the end but had to get things handled from the big wigs in corporate....

Jack

The weak link in Hondas are the automatic trannies. I added a large oil cooler for my Odyssey's trans. hoping to prolong it's life.

Yeah definitely take it to Acura, I have an '01 Cl Type S and the transmission went south on me. I was past the 60K miles and they replaced it for free w/o me mentioning the 7yr/100K warranty I had. They are problematic for the car and the factory has stepped up to the plate.

As an interesting aside, my '03 Honda Accord V-6 had had tranny trouble too and they had a factory recall kit to add an oiler to it or something like that. I have 44K on it now and it is beginning to shift a little hard at times.....hhhmmmm, wonder if it could be a similar problem to the CL?

I also had a cl-s and that definetly is a sign of the tranny getting ready to go. Went through 3 trannies in 55k miles before i had enough and sold it. :mad:

nsxexotic said:
SNDSOUL,

They actually replaced the transmission before it broke??? interesting. where is this dealer?

Mobile,AL and yes, 93000 miles, third owner, tranny worked fine but we knew of the problems and requested it be changed. They agreed no problems. Dealers get paid pretty well for warranty work, so I dont think it should be a problem.

Problems came about when Acura (Honda) decided to make the tranny on the Acura Legends replacement (i.e. CL, TL, RL) smaller (half the size) and smoothened out the shifting (shifting on Legends is abrupt/sporty). This, combined with more horsepower was a recipe for disaster.

FYI.

They all have bad transmission. Im sorry, only 99.9% of them sucked. We do a service update to rectify the problem but Ive seen some cars with 2 and 3 transmissions in them. No big deal, they are warrantied until 7yr/100k miles. We have even done some goodwill repairs with cars up till 140k miles. Drop it of at a local acura dealer and enjoy putting miles on the loaner. Remember its free!!

Back