200,000 km 91 NSX... need opinions as I wish to buy

Hey guys :smile:

This is my first post as I just registered. I am 21, from Sydney, Australia and have been reading this forum for the past week or so as I am currently looking at buying a NSX.

I have a certain one in mind which I already had a brief look at. The car is in fair condition, and the price is quite low for it as I negotiated it down a fair bit. The thing is, it has done 200,000 km and it is a 1991 model vehicle so I am a bit sceptical. The guy selling it is an older bloke and hes had it for only 2 years and said he never had any problems, except he just installed a new twin plate clutch. He was also very honest and because I'm young, he told me everything about the car and is serous about it being virtually perfect mechanically despite the high mileage. He took me for a drive and the car was running very smooth.

I am buying it simply for the supercar look and feel, and am not buying it to thrash it and harass it as the car itself is a fair bit slower then my R34 Skyline which I'm keeping as my daily driver as its a reliable 2000 model with very low Ks plus its my first car.

So if I take care of this NSX and drive it like a grandma, would it comfortably last me another say 3 years? (I would only ever drive it on weekends, maybe 10000km per year)

Share some opinions whether this is worth purchasing guys. Thanks in advance!

Some pics of the NSX...

1622983.jpg

1623005.jpg

1623009.jpg

1623018.jpg

Hello, It look good, 200K for an NSX is nothing. we have a guy with over 500K on his 91 NSX.
Check the FAQ section to isolate the trouble areas with the early car.
These cars go forever... keep driving.

An R34 eh...that should be good for comparsion.

My god you have a P license in the R34....your insurance company must love you.

Bram

Hello, It look good, 200K for an NSX is nothing. we have a guy with over 500K on his 91 NSX.

Bram

500K and still kicking?! WHOA!!! then sometime mid next week, I will be a proud owner of a NSX hehe woohoo

Bram

no insurance on it!

These cars are very well built...not putting down the R34, but the NSX is way way better built. Just keep in mind this is a handbuilt car, unlike anything from Japan so far.

Just kidding, I was DownUnder during December (Perth), so I asked about the P sticker on some cars...then saw a P it on the R34.

Bram

lol, I will get my full license when I get the nsx. It will be too much to bare for others seeing a young bloke on Ps driving a supercar rarer then ferraris here in sydney.

anybody else out there wish to add a valuable opinion for my situation?

My ride has 200,000 kms...and it drives like hell!!! Do not worry about the kms...make sure the timing belt/water pump and all belts have been replaced....they will cost around $2,000.00 US to replace...also have the valve cover gaskets done and cam plug seals done...these are very important things to protect your ride!!!

Dam

Bram

God damn that is a sick Skyline. I want one. What is a P license?

God damn that is a sick Skyline. I want one. What is a P license?

thanks mate

P means provisional license here. Like a restricted license for newby drivers... First its Ls - Learners with many restrictions for 6 months like u cant drive without a full licensed driver in the car, then red Ps for 1 year, then green Ps for 2 years... and then you can get a full license. Some of the worse restrictions that came into place recently are that any of these restricted license drivers can't drive performance cars, especially turbos. Even nuggets like say a CR18DET silivia are restircted, and S2000, 350Z, turboed skylines, NSX etc.

thanks mate

P means provisional license here. Like a restricted license for newby drivers... First its Ls - Learners with many restrictions for 6 months like u cant drive without a full licensed driver in the car, then red Ps for 1 year, then green Ps for 2 years... and then you can get a full license. Some of the worse restrictions that came into place recently are that any of these restricted license drivers can't drive performance cars, especially turbos. Even nuggets like say a CR18DET silivia are restircted, and S2000, 350Z, turboed skylines, NSX etc.

That's actually a pretty damn good system, too bad we don't have rules like that here in the 'States! (Flame Suit? Check:wink: )

200,000 km = 124,274 miles

124,000 miles is nothing for this car. There are many early model NSX on this forum with considerably more miles and still running strong. Just do your normal due diligence and check the FAQ for problem areas, and you should be fine.

Back