2 years after owning the nsx

Hello my fellow primers I wanted share my maintenance within the last 2 years. This can help potential buyers and what to expect.
Thermostat
Coolant tank cracked
Both o2 sensors
Main relay
Slave cylinder
Master cylinder
Cd changer
Front Fender liners and new clips.

It was all fairly inexpensive, my nsx has 51k and only 4k since purchased. Maybe you guys can chime in with your experience in the first 2-3 years

Let me ask you a question, other than the obvious, the cracked tank, did all of the rest of those parts fail or did you replace them because you perceived it to be a maintenance issue and replaced them as a precautionary measure?

Main relay went unexpected. Master cylinder went unexpected so I changed the slave cylinder since it usually fails a couple months after the mc. One sensor went and I decided to change the other since I was under there.

It's been about 2 years of ownership for me as well. Main relay and coolant tank cracked are somewhat common, my coolant tank has a slow leak and I'll be changing it soon. My main relay has been acting up as well. Couple times a month it takes a little bit to get the fuel pump primed. Those are the only problems I have had since purchase. Car had 101k when I bought it, and I've put about 10k miles on mine give or take.

Did you get a PPI done before?
A PPI would'nt have help most of his issues as most were likely age related anyway. I think any new owner should go ahead and address these anyway unless it was recently done. Your buying a 20+ year old car. Time to "renew" some of the age related issues before they happen. You'll be glad you did. I know theres guys that say "if it aint broke dont fix it" but when it's broke, your usually on the road somewhere.:frown:

I see 02 sensors listed...I have read about these failing,,,should they be on the same list of maitenance items with age like coolant tank, main relay. thermostat etc and just replace before they go out?

I wouldn't replace any of those items before they go out. I think the symptoms are fairly noticeable and can be fixed fairly easily. Also most of the times these issues won't leave you in a quick jam, the car could be driven until repaired. That is just me though. I supposed changing the thermostat while changing the tank would make sense.

I see 02 sensors listed...I have read about these failing,,,should they be on the same list of maitenance items with age like coolant tank, main relay. thermostat etc and just replace before they go out?

My issue with the thermostat was that it wasnt closing all the way and the engine couldn't meet the right engine temp. I decided not to buy the oem one for the reason they have a rubber gasket going around the flange, and most times it cracks or starts coming off not letting the thermostat close all the way, so I got one from autozone that's metal to metal. The 02 sensors are just a pain in the butt to change if you are a dyi kind of guy with no lift. So while I was under there I decided to change both. Very inexpensive.

2 yrs in as well, ignition switch, Main relay(due to poor trouble shooting didn't fix the problem). CCU repair(thabks BryanK), and illumination lighting switch.

Overall reliable for 20yr old car. I now have an extra Main Relay and 6 main hoses in the car in case of Emergency.

97 bought in Nov. 2007 with 23K miles. Now have 64K miles.

Non-scheduled maintenance since purchase:

1. Thermostat (failed in "open" position)
2. Replaced trunk gas struts
3. Replace all four brake pads @ 37K miles
4. Replaced O2 sensors due to CEL @ 56K miles; done under Acura extension of warranty
4. Replace clutch master/slave @ 64K miles (under way now)

TB/WP was done at 32K miles because of age.

Normal maintenance to date:
- oil/filter changes
- MTF changes (twice)
- tires
- valve clearance

I recently sold mine, but the three years of ownership were great. Took my car to Shad and had the usual TB/WP-hoses/Spark plugs/gaskets done when I purchased it, and the car drove excellent (when I had time to take it out). During my last two years, I barely had time to drive the car (work/work related travel). When I was able to drive my NSX, I had no complaints what-so-ever. I'll be back in another NSX one day.

Back