2 questions

what is exactly entailed in the snap ring preventative repair? and can performance be lessened after the check engine light goes off after being on for a bit due to gas cap not being tightened?

Sorry i'm new to the nsx and are crossing my fingers that nothing goes wrong. thanks for your help.

Snap-ring repair requires a new transmission case. Keep your fingers crossed that you don't need it.
I think you will not suffer irreversible engine power-loss from a loose gas cap.

BTW, since you're new, you get extra credit for proper spelling and grammar. (you meant to say "am crossing my fingers", or "my fingers are crossed.")

Joking. :wink:

The snap ring range affects roughly affects late '91 to mid '92 model NSXs. Checking the transmission number will identify that. Not all transmissions will fail as the groove in the transmission case for the snap ring varied during the cutting process until it was changed. As mentioned, you'll need a new case and snap ring to have the preventative fix done.

As to have it done or not, there's been a lot of discussion on this. I inquired about this with Shad at Driving Ambition. He recommends just driving the car until it fails. If it does, the failure doesn't happen abruptly. You'll notice the shift lever starting to move fore and aft as you're on and off the throttle. It will start to get progressively worse as you drive more and more. It's best to minimize your shifts and get your car to a shop for the corrective fix.

My '92 is in the snap ring range. I had my long time NSX tech inspect it. Fortunately mine is intact as seen in the pictures below. You should be able to move the two ends up and down in the inspection hole. One end should move the same as the other. If not, then the snap ring is broken inside the case and immediate repair is essential. Then the snap ring was checked for lateral play and there was none in my case. My NSX tech has inspected many of these and knows how much lateral play is normal and how much is too much. In my case there was none so he believes I have a tranny that will not likely fail. You can remove the inspection cap with a 1/2" drive socket. After inspection, clean up all the thread sealant off the threads so it doesn't work its way back into the tranny. Apply some HondaBond or high temp thread sealant (not locktite) and torque to 25 ft. lbs.

Here are some pictures.

snapring1.jpg

snapring2.jpg

Last edited:
Back