2.5 Year-Old Daughter Has Taken Over My Garage

After putting a few coats of polish on my floor, I went to the backyard for awhile to let it dry:

IMG_3361.jpg

My 2.5-year-old daughter took advantage of the open spot!
IMG_3363.jpg

IMG_3299.jpg

IMG_3300.jpg

She was a little upset when I told her to get it down off the jackstands:
IMG_3322.jpg

But thought it was a good idea to suggest a 4-post lift to Mom:
IMG_3328.jpg

Cute kid! The garage looks great man. What more are you looking at doing to it?

Last edited:
Your daughter is absolutely adorable! I have a 2 year old girl myself and she is my world.

Absolutely adorable. I love the upset pose :biggrin:

Makes me miss my niece when she was that age... but I still love her to death. :wink:

Clean garage! I have a 6 year old and she always in the garage with me. Looks like only the quad and the NSX are permitted to park in there.

Absolutely adorable. I love the upset pose :biggrin:

Makes me miss my niece when she was that age... but I still love her to death. :wink:

she doesnt look too upset there
haha

very cute daughter lucky guy and one very very clean garage

Thanks for the compliments guys.

A wise old man once told me: "Have a lot of daughters - they'll take care of you when you're old!"

I've been working on the garage for some time now. It takes awhile when you only have a few spare hours here and there. This is what it looked like about 6 months ago - as you can tell, the "clean garage" comments are very complimentary!

Before.JPG

Cute kid! :biggrin: and awesome remodel congrats!

You garage has been officially.......

:biggrin:

very cute daughter... :smile: and one of the nieces garages I ever seen.. :smile:

I also have a 2 year daughter and when she sees our yellow NSX she shout out -" daddy's caaaaar....." in the cutest way..
then she usually run to the car, puts her cheek to it and give it a hug and then give it a kiss... :D
I really must get that on tape someday.. :)

Cute kid! The garage looks great man. What more are you looking at doing to it?

Hey Chris,

I still need to add another workbench for my bench grinder, scroll saw,
and drill press. I've already wired up two more 20A circuits, so one
circuit will be for my A/C (I'll get this when they go on clearance the
end of summer), and the other will be for the tools.

I have a few more small things to do like organizing and adding a telephone,
but now I have to shift priorities and build a shed and patio out back.... :frown:

nice garage!

what are the specs on the floor? i remodeled my garage last summer too but i still havent done the floor, i was gonna go with epoxy, but yours looks great! what is it and what was involved with it, how does it stand up agaisnt use?

nice garage!

what are the specs on the floor? i remodeled my garage last summer too but i still havent done the floor, i was gonna go with epoxy, but yours looks great! what is it and what was involved with it, how does it stand up agaisnt use?

Thanks, the floor has only been down for about 6 months now. It's Armstrong VCT tile, 12" square tiles that are grouped together in fours to make a 24" square block. This is the same tile you find in Walmart, grocery stores, etc. It takes a beating and is very durable, but the downside is that it is slippery when wet.

I thought about Racedeck and it's clones, paint, epoxy, oil-resistant carpet (the Griot's stuff), and the tiles.

Epoxy would be my preferred choice, but the good stuff would run about $2k for a 450ft^2 garage. The $200 paint and epoxy coatings just don't last longer than a few years - no matter how well you prep the surface from my experience.

Racedeck and the clones are pretty spendy too, but I don't like the thought of having fluids underneath and in-between my tiled floor. I guess you could take it with you if you move, but that would be a pain to pick up and clean off.

So, I settled on the VCT after reading about others experiences on http://www.garagejournal.com/
I filled in the expansion joints with flexible sealer, prepped the surface (must be smooth and acid-etched), and laid the tile. Just laying the tile by myself and rolling it took a full day. The prep work may or may not be hard depending on what you have to start with. It was a lot of work, but only cost me ~$400-500. This "should" last a long time, and if a tile gets damaged, just heat it up, scrape it out, and replace :wink:

Over the past 6 months, I've drug a lot of stuff over it, jacked up a few cars, and spilled a few types of chemicals on it. Oh, my NSX is a daily driver, and parking the hot tires on the floor have not discolored it (but I went with the gray and black tiles instead of traditional black and white to minimize potential discoloration).

Well, check out the link above. It's a good source of info with some pictures of really nice garages!

Thanks, the floor has only been down for about 6 months now. It's Armstrong VCT tile, 12" square tiles that are grouped together in fours to make a 24" square block. This is the same tile you find in Walmart, grocery stores, etc. It takes a beating and is very durable, but the downside is that it is slippery when wet.

I thought about Racedeck and it's clones, paint, epoxy, oil-resistant carpet (the Griot's stuff), and the tiles.

Epoxy would be my preferred choice, but the good stuff would run about $2k for a 450ft^2 garage. The $200 paint and epoxy coatings just don't last longer than a few years - no matter how well you prep the surface from my experience.

Racedeck and the clones are pretty spendy too, but I don't like the thought of having fluids underneath and in-between my tiled floor. I guess you could take it with you if you move, but that would be a pain to pick up and clean off.

So, I settled on the VCT after reading about others experiences on http://www.garagejournal.com/
I filled in the expansion joints with flexible sealer, prepped the surface (must be smooth and acid-etched), and laid the tile. Just laying the tile by myself and rolling it took a full day. The prep work may or may not be hard depending on what you have to start with. It was a lot of work, but only cost me ~$400-500. This "should" last a long time, and if a tile gets damaged, just heat it up, scrape it out, and replace :wink:

Over the past 6 months, I've drug a lot of stuff over it, jacked up a few cars, and spilled a few types of chemicals on it. Oh, my NSX is a daily driver, and parking the hot tires on the floor have not discolored it (but I went with the gray and black tiles instead of traditional black and white to minimize potential discoloration).

Well, check out the link above. It's a good source of info with some pictures of really nice garages!

thanks for the info, i think i may go with that. i was originally gonna go with the racedeck too but i stayed away for the same reason you did, this sound slike a great solution tho and it looks fabulous in your garage, hopefully it'll do mine justice

Thanks, having a nice floor really brings it together!

It would be good to have a helper when doing this though. It gets old being down on your knees all day spreading the adhesive and laying the tiles. You can spread the adhesive in sections if you want to spread out the installation time, but I wanted to be done with it....

Also, make sure you snap a good chalk line for the first row of tiles, and I bought a tile cutter from Home Depot for trimming the edges. If you do a diagonal like mine, you'll have to cut with a razor since the tiles are too big to fit in the tile cutter at a diagonal.

If you have any other questions, I would be happy to try and help. Armstrong doesn't recommend the VCT tiles in colder areas, but some people on that garage forum still use 'em anyways :wink: I'm in SC, and the garage is insulated, so it wasn't a concern for me.

Oh, I forgot to mention that it is best when jacking a car to put an extra tile under the jack and the jackstands so you don't leave an impression in the tiles. They are pretty sturdy, but I've heard this can happen and don't want to take a chance. Replacing an individual tile is possible, but requires some effort (heating and scraping the old one and then re-gluing a new one).

Fixing scratches is easy though - just put a coat of polish over minor ones, or sand and then re-polish. I haven't put any noticeable scratches in mine yet.

I tend to sweep out the garage more frequently with this nice floor . Of course, my wife teases me anytime I'm out there cleaning!

thanks for that advice, i live in the northeast so that cold weather issue might be a problem for me. did you have a local dealer wher you bought the tiles or did you purchase them online? after reading up on that forum i really think this is gonna be my best option. thanks again

and i can imagine what your wife thinks when you out there sweeping... i installed surround sound and a flat panel in my garage so i only go inside for food!

Back