2.4GHz Wireless LAN/802.11b coflicting with 2.4GHz cordless telephones?

I heard that may be a problem. I recall reading where someone was switching back to a 900mhz phone to resolve an issue with it. I just got a LinkSys but don't have it up and running yet.

------------------
1995 NSX-T
1999 3.2TL
2001 Odyssey
1992 SC400

802.11b does present interference potential to cordless phones (and also devices using Bluetooth protocol which also uses the 2.4GHz band).

If you are concerned about interference, then you might want to consider wireless LANs based on 802.11a.

802.11a operates at a higher frequency (5GHz) and offers even more bandwidth than 802.11b. Ideal if you will be running intense applications such as video.

[This message has been edited by 8000RPM (edited 06 September 2002).]

I have the 2.4 ghz phone and lan. It does interfere. Everytime my phone is picked up anywhere around my laptop, it disconnects me from my wireless lan. If my wife is upstairs where the transmission is not close to the laptop it is fine. I am going to sell my 2.4 ghz land for the 5ghz. Hope this helps.

Rob

I have the Lucent Orinoco Residential Gateway 802.11 and a cheapo vtech 2.4GHz phone (with four remotes) and I've never had problems with mine. I've had both for a couple of years.

I was a little worried when I bought the phones, but it never caused a problem.

Aaron

Just a little update...

Because I was busy in the morning, I posted that message from work a little too late.

I went out and bought the equipment anyway.

Here is what I have experienced.

The equipment that I bought and use:

D-Link DI-614+ Wireless Access Point
D-Link DWL-650+ Wireless PCMCIA card
Panasonic KX-TG2560S 2.4GHz Cordless Phone (older model)
Panasonic KX-TG2650N 2.4GHz Cordless Phone (newer model)

The older 2.4GHz phone caused the wireless connection to completely drop and disappear. Once you hang up the phone, it comes right back up.

The newer model 2.4GHz phone didn't cause any interruption or degradation of signal strength/speed at all.

... interesting.

nsxlover, aren't there also new 5GHz cordless phones?

I thought wireless LANs work within a frequency range and not at a set frequency. Is there a way to manually program a 802.11b LAN to a different frequency if it interferes with a 2.4 cordless? I would just get the 802.11a but many public places with wireless LANs use 802.11b and I would like to be able to take advantage of that. Any other recommendations on how you can use 802.11b and a 2.4 cordless phone system w/o intererence. (fyi, I have the original Siemens system...with 5 handsets so I'd rather not replace that either) Thanks.

Originally posted by WeakestLink:
I would just get the 802.11a but many public places with wireless LANs use 802.11b and I would like to be able to take advantage of that.

Dual-mode 802.11a/b PC cards are hitting the market as I type this, so you may want to consider them as an option.

Originally posted by WeakestLink:
Is there a way to manually program a 802.11b LAN to a different frequency if it interferes with a 2.4 cordless?

802.11b specifies a method for frequency selection within the 2.4 GHz spectrum range. As such, you cannot manually program your WLAN to operate on a particular frequency.

Not sure if there are 5ghz phones, however I know there are 5ghz wireless routers. I am selling my 2.4 for the 5ghz.

Rob

Originally posted by 8000RPM:
802.11b specifies a method for frequency selection within the 2.4 GHz spectrum range. As such, you cannot manually program your WLAN to operate on a particular frequency.

There are 11 different frequency ranges for 802.11b and 3 non-overlapping frequency ranges. Setup should allow you to manually select a channel which controls exactly which portion of the 2.4 GHz spectrum is used...

Back