1st post, and its a big one! :o)

MCM

Experienced Member
I have a huge laundry list of questions that have probably been answered here,
but not all on one post. Sorry if some of these are redundant.
Here they are....... :eek:

1) Have the early cars reached max depreciation? Were they ever lower in price
and are starting to climb back up in value? Or are they still dropping?

2) I think I want a T-top. Pros / Cons? Were coupes really that much more rigid?

3) Based on my limited research, I plan to look for a 95/96.
they seem to be a good buy with the removable top / smaller output engine which I do not mind. Thoughts on this appreciated.
(Plan to spend in the 30's so 91-95 is what I think I am after)
Are 95-96 original owner cars hard to find? 91-96 for that matter.
Are most NSX's sold by dealers? (I prefer cash private party sales)

4) I have only sat in an NSX (at a new car dealer yrs ago) As I recall, I fit.
am 6" 3" 225 lbs. Any issues there? Any taller folks here?

5) Are there any parts that are difficult to get? Any one loading up on certain parts for the future? Is there a list of common parts shared with other Acura's/Honda cars?
Any electronics shared? I keep cars a long time, and would hate to be in trouble
20 years from now looking for an obsolete part for a 35 yr old NSX.
This is probably an odd question for the board, but bear with me........

6) Is there a mileage mark I should try to shoot for? Under 75? Under 50?
Or is it like most cars where its all based on how the car was driven / maintained.

7) Any fear in taking your NSX to a dealer? Are all dealerships trained to work on these cars? Or is it a first time evolution for the mechanic?

8) Are these cars divided into 2 group's? {Pampered garage queens with some spirited driving} and {cars that have track time or see the redline on every outing}? I know some are in between, just curious.

9) Does color have much to do with these cars? Desirability? I know most are red or black,
just curious if there is a combination to shoot for? or Avoid?

One last thing, I was shocked when I read the low numbers of these cars produced!
Very low! I live in So Cal so I see NSX's now and then and think nothing of it.
But looking at production numbers, 1/2 of these cars must be living here!

This is a long list, and my 1st post.
Thanks in advance for taking the time to fill me in. :biggrin:
Would like as my opinions as possible.
MCM

1) Who knows. Many opinions on this if you search. [edit]: Personally, I see them continuing to depreciate. How much? I dunno. However, I know of two early model cars that recently sold for the same amount that the owners bought them for a few years ago.
2) Personal preference. Coupe is a bit more rigid and the T gives you an open top experience.
3a) NA2's (97+) have some advantages in the engine department, as well as a few other things. See the FAQ section.
3b) 91-96's should be a bit easier to find, but if you're patient you shouldn't have a problem finding whichever NSX you want.
3c) I have never given it all that much thought, but off the top of my head I'd say more than half are sold by individuals.
4) You're roughly the same size as me. If you want to track the car, you might need to install a smaller seat cushion for helmet clearance. Search "size+fit" or "tall+owners." It has been discussed at lentgh many times.
5) No problem with parts at present.
6) Get a pre-purchase inspection. If it is boosted, get a leak-down.
7) Look for a certified NSX tech. Check the local geogrphic forums for referals.
8) All accross the board. See the pricing section. I hope all NSX's see redline regularly. If not, the owner didn't do it justice.
9) Some of the newer colors that are limited in production, in relation to early model reds and blacks, are probably more desireable, i.e., blue and yellow. Beyond that, it's personal preference.

* Most importantly, spend some time in the FAQ section. You will be shocked at how much information is there for you. :wink:

Last edited:
1. Probably.
2. Coupe is stiffer, cheaper and lighter.
3. www.autotrader.com Lots of low mile good condition NSXs.
4. You will need to lean the seat back a little but enough leg room, will probably bump your head on the bracing on a coupe.
5. I haven't heard of any parts that are rare.
6. Always look at the maintenance records.
7. Ask this question in the regional section.
8. Pretty much.
9. Black is hard to keep clean. Pick the color you want, you aren't going to see another one very often anyway.

Enjoy. :smile:

1) Thanks, I have not followed these too closely since 91, but thought others here might know for sure.

2) I have owned several verts, just interested in specifics on this model.
X-tra headroom on the T top is something I had not thought about. Thanks

3) Looks like a 95-96 is still in the lead.

4) Sounds like I will fit.

5) Good news on the parts availability. Any of its Electronics / Comp. shared with other cars?

6) Will shoot for under 50k, Sounds like 25k and under is not out of the question.

7) Certified NSX tech. Good to know.

8) "Pretty much". Pretty much what I thought.

9) Wife likes Red, I think Black is the way to go. (Have owned Red and Black cars, Black is worth the extra effort IMO)
Black with White int would be my 1st choice. (I know, no such animal)

I know this info is all here, I just wanted the quick and dirty response.

Will spend time digging around on the site, lots of info here.

:biggrin:

Last edited:
Someone could correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard that Honda keeps the ability to manufacture any part of any car they produce. So, in 20 years, you should still be able to find OEM parts for an NSX.

Thats good to know.
Having restored a couple 65's Corvettes and a dozen other 60's
Muscle cars has made me take interest in part availibility.
Its no fun looking or paying for NOS.
("New old stock", had to mention that here as am sure most use the term for another meaning) LOL LOL

MCM said:
7) Any fear in taking your NSX to a dealer? Are all dealerships trained to work on these cars? Or is it a first time evolution for the mechanic?
I'm sure some fear it. :biggrin:

Newbie-GetHim.jpg

MCM said:
9) Black with White int would be my 1st choice. (I know, no such animal)

I know this info is all here...
There are many Black/Ivory's (white interior) out there, but they are all 91-93.

Yes, all the info is available, and as I metnioned, most of it is in the FAQ's.

MCM,

If you posted your location in your profile, I am sure someone could direct you to the techs?cars in your area. Just a thought. :smile:

White 94, I am in south Orange County Ca.
But am in the research mode at this point.
Getting familiar with yr model changes, pricing etc.
Thanks for the info on this post, saved me hours of
searching. :biggrin:

Since you would like as many opinions as possible... (I won't repeat the opinions of others, most of which I share)

MCM said:
1) Have the early cars reached max depreciation? Were they ever lower in price and are starting to climb back up in value?
Yes and no, respectively.

MCM said:
Are most NSX's sold by dealers?
I think more are sold by dealers, but more pampered NSXs owned by enthusiasts tend to change hands privately.

MCM said:
Is there a list of common parts shared with other Acura's/Honda cars?
Any electronics shared?
Very few of the parts on the NSX are shared with other Acura/Honda cars. Close to zero. But parts availability is not a problem.

MCM said:
Theoretically, all dealerships are supposed to have at least one mechanic who has been trained to work on them. As a practical matter, some of them rarely see an NSX, while others have a lot of experience servicing them. And while routine work (oil changes, brake changes, tire changes) can be done by any competent mechanic, you really do want to have someone with a lot of NSX experience doing tasks like changing clutches, replacing timing belts, A/C troubleshooting, etc. Fortunately, you live near two independent shops with outstanding NSX expertise - Autowave in Huntington Beach, and Applied Motorsports in Oceanside.

MCM said:
9) Does color have much to do with these cars? Desirability? I know most are red or black, just curious if there is a combination to shoot for? or Avoid?
It's all a matter of personal preference. From everything I have seen, there is no color that changes hands for a substantial premium or discount due to desirability/rarity.

Buy one before October, so that you can bring it to NSXPO 2005!

I just bought a '93 black in pristine condition.

A couple of comments for you that some other posters may have made...

1. Keep in mind that the 60K maintenance (timing belt, H2O pump, etc.) will run almost (if not slightly more) than $3,000. Ask if it's been done if the car your looking at is around that mileage. Also, I don't think there is a nice, faster, flashier looking car than a black NSX (kind of gives you an idea on what color I prefer).

Others on here may be able to give you a better feel, but if you're looking to stay in the $30's, you may have to stay in the mid-1990's. I paid mid-$30s with pretty heavy modifications, and a very well maintained exterior and interior. My guess would be 1995 and older (but again, others would be far more experienced to say for sure).

As far as depreciation goes, I think they are all going to depreciate until 20-3- years from now, and they start popping back up on Barrett-Jackson's.

I just wish there was a 2000 Black on Black would go ahead and depreciate enough for me to get it. To me, that is the world's most perfect car.

93BlkOnBlkNSX said:
1. Keep in mind that the 60K maintenance (timing belt, H2O pump, etc.) will run almost (if not slightly more) than $3,000.
Replacement of the timing belt and water pump is part of the 90K maintenance, not the 60K maintenance. It typically costs $1200-1400. The 60K maintenance typically costs around $1000.

Back