1998 NSX - any general concerns?

Greetings to All,
I hope I'm posting this in the right place. I've just joined and am looking to pull the trigger on a 1998 NSX with 37,000 miles. I would greatly appreciate your expertise and advice today and for the years to come.
Briefly:
1. 50+ year old guy looking for a weekend exotic.
2. Love the NSX looks since the day I first saw one.
3. Don't want to be my neighbor, who's Porsche is in the shop more than his garage. Have owned 3 Hondas and one Acura, so I know the reliability.
This car is sitting at Pohanka Acura in Chantilly, VA. They want $39,900 (price dropped twice in a month) which I think could be a bit steep in today's economic environment. I would appreciate your thoughts on that. Before I go look at it, a substantial trip for me, I'd like to know if there are any blanket concerns with the 1998 I should be aware of. Also, things to look for, questions to ask, anything you think would help a prospective owner make a wise decision. Thank you in advance for your help.
Dave

Welcome to Prime! Here are a few thing you should ask about:

1. Timing belt/water pump service. Acura says every 6-7 years or 90k miles, which ever comes first. Most NSX's don't see those kind of miles, so it's really a time issue. If this hasn't been done in the last 6-7 years, factor this into the price. That service costs about $1500-$2000 depending on location and what extras you chose to replace.

2. Replace all 23 coolant hoses. Acura doesn't have an interval for these, but the NSX experts here on Prime advise it should be done when you do the timing belt. If the hoses have not ever been changed, assume you will have to do it. A busted hose on a NSX can be a very expensive mistake. The service costs about $1000.

3. Clutch master and slave cylinders. NSX clutch masters tend to go bad after about 10 years. Look behind the clutch pedal on the firewall for any signs of leaks (carpet stains, drips, etc.) Replacement is a doable DIY, but would probably cost you about $600 at the dealer. Most also replace the slave when doing the master- I did.

These are the major mechanical issues to consider. If there are no service records, assume they will have to be done. If they are addressed, you will have many miles of worry-free driving. It's a Honda. :) $39,900 is high in this economy for a 98. Depending on what needs to be done, I'd say $36k or $37k is more realistic. Good luck!

Also- read this: http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Purchase_Process

ShopTeacher, may want to ask if there is a prime member locally who could check out the car for you. That is, unless your going to jump on it right there an then if the car meets your expectations. Honcho comments pretty much on the money. Do a Carfax before you leave (not always accurate but just one tool in the shed to use in your decision making). History of the car and maintenance records are so important in having, something dealerships don't typically have. I would have a PPI done on the car, but not at the dealership. Prime member may know someone locally who is NSX qualified to do. A bit awkward since the car is at an Acura dealership. Expect some rock chips around the nose of the car. Feel the paint using the back of the hand, is it like sandpaper of silky smooth. Check the age of the tires..don't want to be driving around on 13 year old rubber (ask me how I know). All I can think of right now. I'm also in the 50's club so I know you can tell in the 1st 30 seconds if the car has been taken care of. Good luck......

WOW. Thanks to you guys for the help. Honcho, the detailed information regarding maintenance is really appreciated and the link was a great read. Sidwac's suggestion about finding a local member is a great idea. I guess the logical question now would be how do I locate a prime member in my area? I noticed a forum titled for the Northeast. Would this be a good place to post an inquiry? I'm really getting psyched up for this purchase (whether it's this one or another that comes along) and I know the people on this site will be an invaluable asset. Thanks again.
Dave

In addition to Honcho maintenance items, they following services should have also been done, or you need to consider having done on the car.

1- Brake fluid
2- Clutch fluid
3- Transmission oil
4- Coolant if hoses are not being changed
5- If the car is at an Acura dealer you should ask them if the EPS (Electric Power Steering) was updated. This was a warranty update for 97 & 98 model years.

The NSX were trouble free from 93' on wards.

Bram

WOW. Thanks to you guys for the help. Honcho, the detailed information regarding maintenance is really appreciated and the link was a great read. Sidwac's suggestion about finding a local member is a great idea. I guess the logical question now would be how do I locate a prime member in my area? I noticed a forum titled for the Northeast. Would this be a good place to post an inquiry? I'm really getting psyched up for this purchase (whether it's this one or another that comes along) and I know the people on this site will be an invaluable asset. Thanks again.
Dave

Yes, if the Northeast is where the car is that's your best bet. Some on this main forum may see this too.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8

Well put me in England....and I'd be in pretty bad shape:wink:

Another suggestion, call your dealer to see if there any recalls. i had a 98 and had a free ecm replacement recall performed.

Back