1997 Targa, 6 Speed, 47k miles = $41,000

Like the title says, im looking at a 1997 NSX-T, Red over Onyx Leather with 6 speed Trans, CD Changer, and most otehr options. The car has 47k miles and has been well documented.

The price is $41,000. Heres a link --> http://www.raycoeuro.com/html/97AcuraNSXTCoupeRed/index.htm

Is this a good price? For an almost 10 year old NSX...no mods???

I am currently driving a 2004 G35 Coupe with many MANY modifications - will i be happy with this car performance wise, handleing, and comfort????

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Pearlcoupeg35 :biggrin:

If the car is as clean and well cared for as it looks ...41k is a decent deal ...no mods is a good thing...that means nobody has screwed the car up.

G35s are quick ..but nothing drives like a mid engine car.

Find one to drive and you will want one.

zahntech said:
If the car is as clean and well cared for as it looks ...41k is a decent deal ...no mods is a good thing...that means nobody has screwed the car up.

G35s are quick ..but nothing drives like a mid engine car.

Find one to drive and you will want one.

I was thinking the same thing - stock is good. I want to be the first to mod this sucker!!! Also, my car isnt slow, but im not buying an NSX for speed - if i wanted to go fast, id take my money and buy an EVO and throw a huge turbo on it! hahaha

So all it will take is one drive? What is different? What will i like most about the NSX coming from my car???

A mid engine car just feels different....G35s handle well (I used to work for Infiniti so i have driven a few) and they also have Good HP but NSXs drive like they are on rails and the seats are very very comfortable, good for long road trips..the visibility out of the rear of a G35coupe is not good in my opinion...go find an NSX to drive, you wont be sorry.

My friend that lives next door has a 2003 G35coupe ..its obvious that he is jealous of my 92 NSX ....(his wife wouldn't let him get a 2 seater, or a car that was not "new":wink:

zahntech said:
A mid engine car just feels different....G35s handle well (I used to work for Infiniti so i have driven a few) and they also have Good HP but NSXs drive like they are on rails and the seats are very very comfortable, good for long road trips..the visibility out of the rear of a G35coupe is not good in my opinion...go find an NSX to drive, you wont be sorry.

My friend that lives next door has a 2003 G35coupe ..its obvious that he is jealous of my 92 NSX ....(his wife wouldn't let him get a 2 seater, or a car that was not "new":wink:

Very interesting feedback....thanks a lot! Im gonna go drive on this Saturday i think....ill let you all know...

Any other comments on the deal above? (see first post)

I've seen the ad up on autotrader for awhile now...you might get a good deal. But get a prebuy inspection by bernie at davis acura. Good luck, reminds me of my car.

If the car really is in good shape, with clean title and all maintenance (timing belt, water pump, etc.) has been done then I think you're getting a very good deal. In my experience you can find plenty of cars (even NSX's) that trade for a lot less than that but most of them are ratty (by my standards) or need maintenance or some other work to bring them up to the "excellent" or "mint" standards that they're advertised to be.

If everything is up to date, that is a smoking good deal. If not, it is still a good deal even if you have to do some services on it. 97's are pretty rare, at least on the east coast. They seem to still go for around 45-48 depending on the condition of the car. Make sure the clutch is not slipping though cause that is not a cheap fix.

Personally, If I had found a clean 97 for 41K with that mileage, I would have bought it in a heartbeat.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

According the GM of the dealership, this car was previously in their "stable" and was serviced and maintained by them during the ownership - then traded back in on something else in their collection. Sounds like they know the car very well and have a lot of confidnece in it.

I am going to mention the service and maintinence to him along with taking it to get a pre-sale inspection...i def dont want to buy a "money-pit"...

Can anyone direct me to some nice pictures of Red on Black Targa's to look at??? i need a bit more convincing - and looking at some nicely modded Red/Blacks might just push me over the edge! LOL :biggrin:

Thanks Again,

Pearlcoupeg35

pm sent:smile:

I've seen this car before in person and remember talking to docJohn back then. The owner of the place wouldn't let me drive the car because he didn't think I was serious. I ended up wasting my time driving 2 hours to get there.

Back then the car had 30k miles on it. It had a few nicks on the hood. I ended up purchasing another NSX instead.

Ray, I hope your hearing this, you lost a sale. You need to teach your sales folks about not lying to potential customers.

pearlcoupeg35, I hope you have better experience with them then I had. I will never go to them for purchasing my toys.

-William

wctsao said:
I've seen this car before in person and remember talking to docJohn back then. The owner of the place wouldn't let me drive the car because he didn't think I was serious. I ended up wasting my time driving 2 hours to get there.

Back then the car had 30k miles on it. It had a few nicks on the hood. I ended up purchasing another NSX instead.

Ray, I hope your hearing this, you lost a sale. You need to teach your sales folks about not lying to potential customers.

pearlcoupeg35, I hope you have better experience with them then I had. I will never go to them for purchasing my toys.

-William

Thanks for the info - can you provide me with any other info on your experience at Rayco? Or suggest other places to look for a nice pre-owned NSX?

Thanks ~

wctsao said:

-William

Off Topic:

You know how when you walk on a dealership lot, the "vultures" immediately come and say hi and try to make a new friend and are eager to show you the car you're interested in? Well, when my sister was in the market for a brand new NSX (the one I now drive) back in '02, we had 3 guys rushing out to greet us. When they found out what my sister was looking to buy, they all went back to their nests and lit up another cig. Shame on them. Only one guy, who was actually already finished with his shift that day, gave her/us the time of day. He made the sale, the others watched her drive off in a new purchase (not lease) with me following her in her beat up Neon.

I'm sure the sales guys get tired of young people (my sister was 26 when she bought it) coming to look at the NSX and maybe "wasting their time" with a non-sale. But sometimes "kids" are buyers; there was a post on here a month ago or so about a kid who had the opportunity to get one for graduation! And even if they don't buy an NSX, a relationship can be built with perspective customers of other Acura models. Unfortunately, most sales guys can only see about a foot in front of their face and never realize what loyalty can do miles down the road.

On Topic: pearl, good luck in your quest for your NSX.

J

That story sounds familiar.....im no stranger to being treated 'differently' due to my age. I encounter this almost daily at work - and its what motivates me to be better than all these "old guys" and prove that while i may be young (24) im not dumb.

All i have to say is that when i finally go to make this purchase, the place that earns my business better treat me like a 50 year Lawyer!!! LOL just kidding, but id be nice!

I looked at that car at Rayco a couple of weeks ago (2 blocks from my house) The car was fair, however theres another dealer within 5 miles that has a red 93 with 13k miles 1 owner NSX that was absolutely pristine for around 36k.

pearlcoupeg35 said:
That story sounds familiar.....im no stranger to being treated 'differently' due to my age. I encounter this almost daily at work - and its what motivates me to be better than all these "old guys" and prove that while i may be young (24) im not dumb.
It's pretty much the same when I was looking at an S2000. I was 9 months out of college, had a good job, and already saved up a 25% down payment, but no one would let me test drive one. I was so frustrated with the dozen or so Honda dealers that wouldn't give me any time, that I went to an Acura dealer and bought an RSX-S (my second choice). I was looking recently at an Acura dealer (while my car was in for service), they had a '93 NSX on the lot. Salespeople were following me around the lot, knowing that my car was in service (I had already told them I was just looking and there were no other customers that early in the morning), but when I walked up to the NSX, they all walked away and went back inside. They were asking a ridiculous price for it, but still... :confused:

I talked to them about 3 or 4 months ago on that car.

If I remember right they said they did the maintenance on it but it hadn't had the 60K service. I told them they needed to take off about $1500-1800 for the 60K service. I know it only has 47K miles, but it is still 8 years old and IMHO should have the timing belt and water pump replaced.

At that time they didn't want to move off the price. But it is getting colder there so maybe they will deal.

Good Luck
Ed
97 Red T #175 (Thanks Pat)

I remember seeing it on the trader when I was looking... i think they came down on it a little, because I would have called them if it was at that price. from what it seems, this is a great deal. even with the service ahead of you, i think as long as it comes back clean, this would be a great car to pick up.

i seriously looked at the G35C when i was car shopping. i tested a 93 with the brembos and loaded to the hilt. i love the look of the car, but i was SOOO unimpressed with the test drive. i felt it was heavy and slow. acceleration was weak and it felt overweight in the corners. the interior was okay, but the controls were a little weird. i did like the nav setup though. i did all this BEFORE driving an NSX. besides liking the look and lines of the nsx better, i think it just feels better to drive. it is great on road trips, acceleration is crisp and predictably quick, and it handles like its on rails (except on that damn third turn at the autocross!)

the x-factor is this: a G35 would have been nice, not to mention I'd have bought brand new, but it still would have been a G35 at the end of the day, just like the 60 other ones i saw today. since i bought the nsx a month and a half ago, i've seen 3 on the road. love the originality. good luck, i suspect you'll be announcing your purchase soon and we'll see you with a new screen name! welcome aboard.

rob

Back