1997 NSX gray needs some TLC (HELP)

Flew in from Baltimore, MD to Atlanta, GA (2-14-04) to start a new journey and to be a proud owner of this 1997 Gray NSX 6pd. STOCK

Currently car has 106k miles. I drove this car 12hours straight and did not experience any noticeable mechanical or other problems. Car pulled strong and straight. Engine stayed very cool and thirsty for more air and fuel.

Got home around 5:00 AM in the morning I went straight to bed.

I am a computer engineer and having a tenacity attitude I like to know all of the technical issues and performance for this car.

Having to see this car again. The interior and exterior of the car was extremely in immaculate condition. I saw two dings and almost no sign of wear in the interior.

I drove the silver bird again today. Things that I noticed

This is my question to my fellow owners of NSX v3.2

At 120 mph 4th at 5k I believe engine pressure level was at 8 and was dropping a little. Is this Normal? Under normal condition I saw gauge fluctuate between 2-6.

I know that V tech kicks in about 5.6k rpm but when does the rev limiter kick in?

Also I notice that I heating wasn’t that warm.

Here are the things that I want to do they are just basic maintenance.

1. Change engine oil with synthetic oil 10w30
2. Change spark plugs
3. Change thermostat / flush coolant
4. Replace rotor and pads
5. Check timing belts and all other belts

I know that these cars are extremely well built and reliable. I would like to know if any one else could give me any pointers?

I am thinking about taking this to the dealership but not sure how much it would cost do all this. If any one might add any suggestion about maintenance and other things I need to look at please let me know.

Umm, you mean to tell me you got an (IMHO) extemely high mileage '97 NSX and didn't get it checked by a mechanic before purchasing? You didn't check the maintenance records?

Forget about checking them at the dealer. At this point you need a timing belt and water pump change (not to mention other items) if you don't know whether it has been done before. It's not gonna be cheap.

Check your Owners manual. You should follow the severe maintenance schedule. I would suggest contacting the person who sold you this car to check what service has been performed.

Another MD silver? Congrats!

Engine pressure reading sounds normal, Esp from that speed. Rev limiter (i believe) doesnt kick in until 8000rpm.

As for the other ones on your checklist, Have someone certified to check them out. Question: why replace rotors? Is there visible repair that is needed that resurfacing wont remedy?

I did some price shop

Acura West estimate $2500 for timing belt and water pump service

Tischer Auto Acura Baltimore Laurel Maryland estimates $1200

Radley Acura in VA was $1100

Acura west was closest and most ideal for me but they are freaken expensive.

Question

Because the timing belt is covered I can only see the accessory belts. None of the belt look warn however. I don't know for sure.

I think I will go with Tischer Acura.

Oh I found out that I too have the Thermostat problem. I need that fix asap.

The main issue right now for me is the timing belt,waterpump, and thermostat and I am looking at around 1300 to 1500.

give me some pointers and what to do an how. I bought the parts for the thermo stat but where the hell is it? I would like to get this replace right away.

Car drives normal but ESP light came on and I lost the power steering. After resetting the battery the problem was fixed.

There was a recall in this so I will find out what is the deal with this..

please do email me if anyone is near MD I would like to check out your car talk about NSX. My email is [email protected]

I am still in the maintance phase so I can't show off yet..

I took a chance of buying this car knowing that what could happen. But I am willing to deal with it so. Volia what ever will be will be what ever needs to be done will be done no matter what.

Jae

Car seems to be in awesome condition.
Yes it is a radar detector. I don't what kind and I don't even use it. Hate the sound of beeping when there is no one around. It sucks..

I need to have the timing belt and h20 pump serviced and thermostat replaced. After this I am going to tear the road for few weeks and after that I will put new oem rotors and pads.

I don't intend this car to be a hobbie car. My goal is to put as much more miles as possible and just drive. Fuel consumption seems to be fine. While coming back from GA I was getting about 26mpg so that was really good I thought. at 90miles at 3.5k rpm.

Car is in immaculant condition. other then the service I will do. Car needs nothing. I looking at aroung $1500 and I took a gamble and I need to win.

I'll tell you more after serviced.

JaeShinCPE said:

Because the timing belt is covered I can only see the accessory belts. None of the belt look warn however. I don't know for sure.

give me some pointers and what to do an how. I bought the parts for the thermo stat but where the hell is it? I would like to get this replace right away.

I guess it's too late to get that very important Pre-purchase inspection;)

As far as the drive belts, it's very difficult to tell how warn a modern drive belt is while it's on the car. When you take them off it's much easier to inspect. Best bet is to find out when they were last replaced... if possible.

There is a service manual on the main page of prime that could help you with the thermostat. It's for a 91, but the procedure hasn't changed. The thermostat is located beneath the air intake(take the air filter housing completey out, it's easier). You'll need about 3.5 gallons of Honda 50/50 and when you go to bleed the system (easier with 2 people) jack the rear of the car up to prevent excess air in the system.

Congrats on your new car!

JaeShinCPE said:
Car seems to be in awesome condition.
Yes it is a radar detector. I don't what kind and I don't even use it. Hate the sound of beeping when there is no one around. It sucks..

I believe there is a volume adjust with that detector. Not sure if that button adjusts it or if its separate and mounted out of site. I saw the exact same setup in a s.c. yellow 99-T that ended up selling to someone in AZ.

congratulations on the great deal!

When you have the timing belt and water pump replaced (if it hasn't already been done) the Acura dealer should also replace all of the other belts at the same time. They were all included in the price when I had mine done, and there is no additional labor involved. Even if they look brand new, get them changed for peace of mind.

Congrats on the new car, and I'm glad to hear you plan on driving it...that's what you bought it for, right? :)

Yeah Ok I have dropped off my “Silver” NSX to Tischer Acura in Laurel. You are right guys what kind of assurance do I get for not doing this with out a paper work trace? They tell me timing belt have been changed with out giving me any kind of paper work for proof. Why not? $1200 I can be assured that my NSX has been taken care of. That is the trade off for driving a 290hp 6pd NSX V3.2 no?

I dropped off the car this morning and I notice that the Dealer service people were hurrying up the people in front of me to take my car in to their custody. I can tell that they were trying to move up the line faster to take the NSX. Service person was extremely enthusiastic and courteous about this NSX and promised me to take the absolute care of this vehicle.

Here is the maintenance service that is being done:

1. Timing belts & all other belts and Water pump
2. Thermostat and coolant flushing
3. Transmission oil (FREE)
4. BRAKE oil flushing (FREE)
5. Spark plugs all 6 (NGK STOCK) six of them ($120 parts)(free labor)
6. Engine oil 10w30 synthetic oil supplied by myself (free)
7. Free rental car (RSX white) 2days
8. Recalls EPS unit will be replaced
9. MD State inspection (free)

The cost was around $1500

Courteous call today and said everything mechanically was in perfect condition. They too didn’t even believe the mileage at the current condition.

If you own NSX in MD I would suggest you take it to Tischer Acura in Laurel. They have 2 Comptech master mechanics that is certified to work only on NSX.

Radley acura of VA was extremely courteous and nice people to work with.

Worse place you can take is a place called Acura West in Ellicott City. They are rip off I tried to buy it from there and sales man were awful and greedy. Service department was horrible and was not knowledgeable in the NSX. I don’t even know if they have some one who can work on NSX. And no they are not Comptech certified. They also told be there service department is backed up for 3 weeks? Hey I’ll take my business somewhere else.

Guys I bought this car to drive. Not to park in the garage and let it sit there and enjoy with your eyes. I bought it to drive and experience the thrill. I’ll take a picture and might even take digital video of me driving it. I’ll let you hear the motor sound as well. It is most accelerating experience every time I drive this car. I shift around 6k rpm and hey I have 2k left well I won’t go there until I get a hang of this car.
I’ll update you more ok

I would strongly recommend that you have them replace all the cooling system hoses at the same time as they replace the timing belt and water pump. With that many miles on a seven-year-old car, it's time. It's a good preventive measure.

I think this has to be the car I was looking at but could not seem to get any return calls from the dealer. It was on Auto Trader. If you do not mind, I am curious what the selling price ended up being. You can PM that information to me if you wish. Thanks! :)

JaeShinCPE: Congratulations on your purchase, I would like to extend our welcome to another Maryland NSXer!

BTW, when you go to take your car back can you ask the sales lead for the names of the Comptech master techs, I would also be interested in finding out the name of your service lead. Thanks.

Ok second day.

I was expecting the car today but they offered me to do the valve adjustment on the engine as well while they have the engine is worked on. Half the dealer cost of course. These people are unbelievable and giving me a MD inspection tomorrow also. They also assured me that the car is in excellent condition and in awesome hands of these two master mechanics. Truthfully, I don’t even know how I was going to do this my-self. I don’t have the time and skills to do this kind of maintenance. I am not a mechanic however; I wish that I were one.

I am very happy with these guys. I don’t know the names of the master mechanics but two of them were on a mission to fine tune the engine and look over crucial parts and making sure and double-checking that everything is thoroughly checked inspected and installed and I have not even met them yet. They really deserve my gratitude and I am thinking about taking them out to outback steak house after this or give them something in return.

The RSX has been getting me to places so I have a car. I think they want to make sure everything is working properly. They have been working straight 16 hours on this car making sure this Eleanor is working the way it should be. Offered me to change transmission oil, engine oil; brake oil, coolant flush, thermostat replaced and spark plugs replaced and state inspection. Pretty much gave me the whole package deal.

They even left me phone messages on what the status is what they did and addressing issues and making sure that this wild silver NSX is being taken care of. I will see the out come tomorrow. It’s been a busy day for me at work and can’t wait to enjoy it over the weekend. I am going to go drive and just have fun with it. I still don’t believe I have the car. It is an unbelievable feeling. This was my long-term goal since college and finally I achieved it. I really wanted to say I got to drive a NSX when I was 25.

I’ll keep you guys posted and informed. I’ll also post some pictures as well and I’ll also try to make a short movie. Stay tuned for more episodes of this 97 Silver NSX v3.2 6pd 290hp. Man I love saying that. 6sp 290hp…6sp 290hp…6sp 290hp…6sp 290hp…6sp 290hp…

Live everyday as if it was your last!!

Jae

Congrats on the car, my friend. I am really happy that an enthusiast like you was able to buy that car. Very nice. :)

Ok everyone. I got my NSX back from Tischer Acura dealer today. Wow what a Difference!! This car is in better than new condition now. Engine does not have any sign of weakness or any problems. what a relief!!!

Temperature gauge came back to normal and engine was lot more quieter. All I could hear from my back is the pure sound of a normally aspired engine and of course the sweet sound of the V-TECH. I mean wow. Wow Wowoowowowowo

My Oil pressure gauge was very responsive to the RPM and it was dancing and jumping up and down along with the tachometer. I was hitting all 8ks RPM till 5th gear effortlessly.

This NSX was EXTREMELY responsive and EXTREMELY fast and steady. Steering was crisp and responsive. Throttle was very very responsive. I can feel the G-Force all the way to 5th gear. I mean wow this car is in TIP TOP condition now. I couldn’t believe it. I really don’t know how to thank these guys. Guys at Tischer Acura. They did a SUPER job I mean a SUPER job. I pulled about 149 mph today on I 95. I could of pulled all the way but I said nah its too early.. Whoa whoo! I am extremely satisfied and in love with this car. I mean I just love it to death. I really can’t describe this feeling.

This car is SO MUCH FUN!!!!!! YEAH. I’ll write more with pictures.

290hp 6spd 290ph 6spd 290hp 6spd 290ph 6spd 290hp 6spd 290ph 6spd 290hp 6spd 290ph 6spd 290hp 6spd 290ph 6spd 290hp 6spd 290ph 6spd 290hp 6spd 290ph 6spd
290ph 6spd 290hp 6spd 290ph 6spd 290hp 6spd 290ph 6spd 290hp 6spd 290ph 6spd

Live everyday like it was your Last!!!!

Back