1997 NSX GOOD DEAL OR NOT

Hi guys, I have a 1991 nsx with 35k miles. I have a chance to buy a 1997 with 19k miles for $53k clean title, crome wheels, is this a good deal??? the car is at a lexus dlr in wis. They were asking $59k at first.

Kelly Blue Book for a 20K car is about $55-56K in the Midwest (depends on your ZIP code).

$53K for a low-mile 1997 sounds OK.

If its in good shape, no body/paint work and maintenance is on spec AND the color you want, it sounds like a reasonable deal.

Originally posted by hk4site:
Look on ebay, I purchased a 99 with 19k miles for $50,000 and got a warranty with it. Currently the price of all high price cars are in the tank.

Wow, that is an unbelievable price. Do you have a link to the auction? Not that i dont believe you but I have been following eBay auctions for NSXs and don't recall this one - would love to check it out.

[This message has been edited by Timbo (edited 05 September 2002).]

hk4site:

I think Timbo wanted the URL to the actual auction rather than the link to the auction site (ebay).

Buying an NSX on eBay entails more risk than buying from a dealer, and the final prices tend to be lower than elsewhere as a result.

More often than not, a car does not reach its reserve price. In such a case, the price really does not matter, since there is no sale. When a car does not reach its reserve price, you could conclude either that the reserve price was too high, or that the bidders were too low; I've seen cases that support either conclusion, in my O.

I am not being critical of those who wish to buy or sell on eBay. As a buyer, you may find an incredible bargain. As a seller, you get terrific exposure. However, I don't think it's a particularly good indicator of general selling prices.

I don't think much of the kbb (Kelley Blue Book) or Edmunds estimates. I find the prices on autotrader.com to be a much better indication of where the market is. Where there is a sufficient sample of cars for sale - ideally, 20 or more - I consider the fair market asking price to be around the 30th percentile of the prices listed. I then consider the fair market selling price to be 5-10 percent less, due to haggling.

Of course, this is an average. Expect to pay more for a car with super-low miles, and less for a car with super-high miles. Average mileage on an NSX is around 5K miles per year. You can also expect to pay less for salvage title, automatic transmission, or other faults, and more for a car with desirable expensive mods (e.g. supercharger), complete history, complete maintenance, etc. And condition is a big factor and can drive a price up or down.

For example, right now there are 13 '97 NSXs available on autotrader. All have prices listed. Two are below $49,500; two are at $49,500; two are around $49,900; and the rest are higher. However, upon closer inspection, five of these six cars have significantly more mileage than average (31-52K miles), which accounts for their lower asking price. Of the three cars in the $53-57K range, one is an automatic, and one has high mileage (42K). There are four cars in the $60-66K range but I usually consider the top third of the prices listed to be "wishful thinking".

Based on this (admittedly sparse) information, I would guess that a '97 in excellent condition with no "issues" and average (25K) mileage probably ought to have an asking price somewhere in the middle group. I would consider $53K to be fair to pretty good, but not an incredible bargain by any means. If I were shopping for a '97, and found such a car that I liked, I would try to talk them down to right around $50K, which I would consider a very good selling price. If you pay more than that, it should be because you're willing to pay whatever differential rather than face the prospect of continuing to look for an indeterminate amount of time in order to find one at that price. IMO, if you keep looking, before too long you will find one that you will be able to buy for around $50K.

I purchased the car outside the auction, it didn't make reserve..I made an offer...they excepted it.

eBay is very interesting, not only for the prices that items do (or don't) receive, but also for the many different bidding strategies that can be used. This is one of them. Nice move!

I purchased the car outside the auction, it didn't make reserve..I made an offer...they excepted it.

Also, this is typical for ebay. Why pay ebay fees when you can jack the reserve price to collect names of bidders and sell the car that way. No "nice snag" just a typical Ebay transaction.

Back