1996 NSX T $32k 115k miles - Should I Buy?

Hey everybody! I'm new to the world of NSXs and was wondering if a vehicle that I came across is worth purchasing. It's a black on tan 1996 NSX T with manual transmission and 115k miles. From what I've seen out there, the miles seem a bit on the high side, but I've always had higher mileage vehicles so I'm not too concerned about that as long as the service history checks out. I prefer the black interior, but like the targa, so I'd be willing to let the tan interior slide. I can pick the car up for $32k and I'm just not sure if that's a good deal. I see a lot of vehicles advertised for more than that, but I have no feel for what they are actually selling for. Ever since they were new, I've forever loved the NSX, and now finally have the means to purchase one. Any advice and insight is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

P.S. I apologize if I'm posting in the wrong section. If so, please let me know and I will repost in the correct forum.

Maint'/service and history of collision/accident is more important than mileage on NSX's, generally speaking.

If the upkeep is at par and the vehicle title history is clean (minor paintwork not an issue, ex. front bumper respray / panel or ding repair / etc), the asking-price seems ok.

From afar, '95-'96 NSX-T 5spd. with ~100k+ miles seem to go for $27.5k-$32.5k depending on maint'/service (t-b/w-p, clutch, etc), mods (I/H/E, wheels, suspension, etc), history (no stories, etc).

Seemingly, there's an uptick with NSX values in the past year or so. Exactly 10 years ago, a red/black '95 NSX-T 5spd. with 56k miles that I had my eye on sold for $34k'ish (pre-TTL) with asking-price of $36k.

Initially I thought $32K for a 96 NSX-T would be a good deal. Being an automatic does drop the value. They don't have the same demand as a manual transmission car.
I wouldn't worry too much about the mileage. It is a Honda and there is at least one NSX out there with 300K+ mileage on it out there and still running strong.
It also depends on whether the maintenance has been kept up and up to date, water pump & timing belt etc. AND that it doesn't have a salvage title.
It really comes down to whether you are happy with it. The AT cars have less horse power too.
You can find out lots of information on the Wiki here on NSX Prime.
I'm sure you would still experience LBS (Look Back Syndrome) and break necks in an AT NSX as you would in a MT one.
What I entered in at Edmunds.com came back with Trade In $32,841, Private Party $34,134 and Retail $36,328
NADA Low $27,900, Average Retail $38,100, and high Retail $41,700
I use to like to use the Hagerty.com valuation tool but without the VIN I didn't see how to get past a 2000 model year.
Kelly Blue Book was lower, but from my past experience KBB values were much lower than what the actual market was for the NSX.
It showed private party very good condition at $28,532 and excellent condition $29,234 but like I mentioned above, I have always found their valuation to be much lower than what they actually seem to sell for.
To me the $32k seems like a fair deal as long as it all checks out.
Also, I plugged in my location to check the values and I live in a location where the value drops on sports cars, so it also depends on your location.
Osiris_x22 seems to have kept a closer eye on the values from afar. I really haven't been watching the market values much lately, since I'm not looking for one.
I know a friend who purchased a 96 NSX-T MT with 52k on it for around $36k last year, which seemed like a good deal at the time. But it also had 1/2 the miles and the MT.

Good luck in the hunt and keep us posted.

Edit... ooops, I must be blind or had another post in mind... for some reason I thought the OP said it was a AT, so you can disregard the AT comments. Otherwise it seems like a good deal... BUT it does sound fishy that the dealership purged the records after 1 yr. Even my independent mechanic keeps all the records for work done on my cars.

Last edited:
If you look at the color combo/ production of nsx through the years you will see that the berlina/camel combo is relatively rare.If the car is clean then I think you have a reasonable asking price for mileage.You need to educate yourself on the maintenance requirements plus other stuff that will need to be done to make the car 100%...If you are a stickler then prepare to spend 2-3k once you get the car.

I'm assuming you're new to the site so if you haven't found the NSX Wiki yet (accessible from the red action bar on most pages), there's a section on purchasing an NSX.

First thing you should know is that the major service interval is 7 yrs/90k miles so if they can't show service records for timing belt, water pump, etc, then walk away. If it was done but longer than 7 years ago, it's still a ticking bomb. In general, it's pretty rare to have one fail based on elapsed time .. but if it does, it's going to be ugly and expensive.

The next thing to find out is whether the clutch has been changed or not. For those kind of miles, I would hope that it has or you can add that to your price negotiations.

I don't have any proof but I believe that the asking price typically drops once the car hits about 100k miles .. just because most people don't really know the car in detail and think it's a major maintenance risk to buy 'an exotic' with those kinds of miles. However as the other poster said, it's basically a Honda with Honda levels of reliability and 100k miles is nothing. I bought mine at 90k and now have about 185k on it .. and it was occasionally road raced on weekends by the previous owner and has been roar raced and rally crossed by me so it does hold up with proper maintenance. I personally think the car needs to be regularly driven to lower maintenance costs. If this one hasn't been driven much lately, I'd view that as a negative.

Good luck!

It's a black on tan 1996 NSX T with manual transmission and 115k miles...

Initially I thought $32K for a 96 NSX-T would be a good deal. Being an automatic does drop the value. They don't have the same demand as a manual transmission car...
The NSX-T in'question is a manual-transmission/5spd as-per the OP! :D

Last edited:
Go for it, its within a good price range. you have negotiating room if the service wasnt done which will run you roughly $2000. good luck and post pics if you eventually pull the trigger.

A "good deal" is relative. If its been well cared for then mileage is less of an issue which is true on any Honda ever made and especially these cars. If its a well documented creme puff then $32K may actually be a very good deal. If not, but is still a solid car with only some normal wear but up to date maintenance then its a fair price. If its got issues or signs of being ill kept, or maybe owned by someone without a clue how to take care of it, then not so much.

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to give me such great feedback. The car is a few hours away from me, so I haven't seen the car in person yet, but from what the owner says, she's had it since it had 12,000 miles on it. She always had it serviced at the dealership, but apparently they purge their records after 1 year so she doesn't have all of the records. She is unsure if she had the 90k service done, and thinks she had the timing belt done, but can't recall for sure. The heater also doesn't work and she said the dealer said it would be about $1,200 to fix it. She's still giving me an opportunity to buy it, but says a local dealership says they can sell it for $38k and they want to take it on consignment so I've got to make up my mind soon. I'll let you guys know if I end up pulling the trigger. Thanks again!

lol purge after 1 year:rolleyes:

+1. if paper documents are missing what abutout the fact that everything is stored on their computers as well (vin number being the primary search key). sounds like an utter load of crap to me.

is this an acura dealership?

I can't speak for all dealerships but my dealer has all my service records for my 2000 Mercedes E55 AMG with 235,000+ miles

If she thinks she can get $38k for a 96 with 115,000 miles with a $2,000 timing belt and water pump service due and non working AC/heater then let her go and try. The consignment shop just wants her car there for traffic, they'll beat her down with low ball offers for months from customers until she sells it for $24,000 after the commission.

With patience, you can find a proper NSX for around $32,000. I've seen it done, and with a lot less miles on a 1996 5-speed just 2 months ago.

Drive it. PPI it. Make an offer (if two previous steps check out) accounting for everything that needs to be replaced/fixed.

Back