1996 clutch parts and labor?

How much would it cost to replace the clutch and flywheel on an 96 NSX?

I saw that it could cost up to $1500 in the Wiki, is that with labor or without

Do you have to drop the motor out of the car to replace the clutch and flywheel yourself? and on a scale from 1 to 10, 10 being the hardest how would you rate how hard the job is yourself?

Also i'm having a hard time finding OEM parts for the car is there a good web site to see how much some of the hoses and belts would cost , along with some other parts?

Last edited:
The flywheel is part of the clutch. The typical charge for replacing it on a five-speed NSX ('91-96) is $2200-2600 including parts and labor.

Re: Parts and labor????

Assuming that i will only be using the car for summer/spring driving and that i don't do standing starts how long does a clutch usally last? Also in the Wiki it has an est. cost per year for this car is it pretty much right on track?

I also heard that you have to have valve adjusted on the motor, does this happen often? and how much does this run?

Also I have to tell members of this site that i will be abonding my American V8 powered camaro for this car, will i miss the torque or not really.

I have learned that just because you have a V8 does not mean the car is the best or fastest. And on some of the roads around my next of the woods my camao does not handle the best.

Sorry for all the questions about how much maintance cost, I am still trying to do some rsearch on some cars i am considering buying. I would like to buy an NSX but am worried that a 12 to 15 year old car will drain my wallet and i won't enjoy it much becuase i'm shovling out money all the time, to fix it.

Last edited:

Am I just over reacting and the car really isn't that bad to take of? How many people have next to 0 problems with thier NSX other than the scheduled maintance, which seems to be expensive

Am I just over reacting and the car really isn't that bad to take of? How many people have next to 0 problems with thier NSX other than the scheduled maintance, which seems to be expensive

I've had zero non maintanence problems with my 1994 NSX that I've owned for almost eight years.

Just buy parts from ray laks honda/acura free shipping no tax and 25% off.

here's a typical acura e-parts store

http://www.jaywolfeacura.com/eStore.aspx

just take the price and subtract 25% off and thats what a clutch would cost. i have a 96 with a lot of aftermarket parts. never done any major service or repairs just typical oil change and look over once in a while.

Assuming that i will only be using the car for summer/spring driving and that i don't do standing starts how long does a clutch usally last?
It varies. Most NSX clutches need replacing after 40-60K miles. Some last even longer than that, and others don't even last that long, but that's a typical clutch lifespan.

in the Wiki it has an est. cost per year for this car is it pretty much right on track?
You can figure out a cost per year yourself based on how many miles you drive, the frequency for all the scheduled maintenance services, and non-scheduled items like clutch replacements and tires.

I also heard that you have to have valve adjusted on the motor, does this happen often? and how much does this run?
It's recommended every 15K miles or 12 months on the maintenance schedule for the '91. You can look up costs in the FAQ, under Maintenance - Cost.

Sorry for all the questions about how much maintance cost, I am still trying to do some rsearch on some cars i am considering buying. I would like to buy an NSX but am worried that a 12 to 15 year old car will drain my wallet and i won't enjoy it much becuase i'm shovling out money all the time, to fix it.
You won't be spending money all the time to fix it, but there will be costs from time to time. Again, you can come up with an estimate for maintenance costs based on your usage and the costs for various services as reported in the FAQ.

From what I can tell, you really want an NSX that has already had major work completed. They can be had with new clutch, timing belt and water pump, slave & master cylinders, tires, CCU, in new condition. I believe NSX owners for the most part take pride in their cars and keep them in tip top shape.

If you are buying a used NSX that has not recently had all of this done, count these expenses as part of your budget.

Cost for these items is less compared to other exotics (and that's what you are looking to purchase) however I suspect they run considerably more than a Camaro.

As for the comparative driving experience - there is no comparison. If you are buying a NSX to go fast - well there may be other choices for you to consider. The NSX is a extremely well balanced driving experience. Not a drag car.

Wish you well with your NSX adventure.

Back