1995 vs 1997

greetings lucky owners!

im in the process of trying to get rid of my 05 230 kompressor, never should have got it, but yea, looking into getting an nsx. always had an eye on one, but no is the best time for me to get one......so i've got some questions:

1. i know the hp is more in a 1997, but can u guys tell me if you can feel it and is it worth it to pay more?

2. are there any major differences in the two cars other than hp?

3. how are much should i pay for a 95 & 97, with approx miles?

4. if i was to buy a high mileage car, should i worry about the nsx's being over 100K miles?

sorry for the many questions, but i would appreciate any help or direction from the members, i hope to get one soon and be a member amongs you :)

thanks!

imola1970 said:
3. how are much should i pay for a 95 & 97, with approx miles?
See http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/BuySell/pricing.htm

4. if i was to buy a high mileage car, should i worry about the nsx's being over 100K miles?
Many people have no problem with a buying high-mileage NSX. These cars last. Even so, I bought one with not-so-high mileage. I like the idea of putting most of the first 100k miles on it myself. :biggrin:

Owned a 1993 and currently a 1999. There is a big difference. Try both and you'll see and feel the difference.

Good luck.

I am also currently debating the 1995/1996 vs. 1997-2001 models and was wondering if there are any unique issues with either one in terms of mods. Specifically, some of the mods I'd like to do would include:

Work Equip Wheels (17 x 8 and 18 x 10)
Wings West front spoiler
Stacy's side skirts
2002 rear conversion

Basically, I'm just wondering if there is anything I should consider or any problems I might encounter with making modifications on either the 1995/96 or 1997-2001 models.

none of the things you mention will be an issue with iether car.

jkeen01,

Just as docjohn says, should be no difference/problem when it comes to the specific changes you mentioned.

That is, unless you get a black NSX. Then it'll look like my car. :D

-Randy

The only downside of the 97 is the clutch price goes up. Other than that, it rocks.

I got a '95 for 30k with 63k miles on it. There are a few thing that need attention, but nothing too critial. I would have got a '97 if one came along, but for the price I couldn't pass up the '95.

FuryNSX said:
jkeen01,

Just as docjohn says, should be no difference/problem when it comes to the specific changes you mentioned.

That is, unless you get a black NSX. Then it'll look like my car. :D

-Randy

Well, your car was my inspiration. I absolutely love the Work Equip wheels and yours is the only car I've seen with them on. I figure with the red car, I'll at least be somewhat unique.

I'm still trying to figure out what a Red NSX would look like w/ the Work Equip wheels, so if anyone can either take a pic of FuryNSX's car and color it red, or take a red NSX and put the Work Equip wheels on it, I would appreciate it. I'm sure the wheels would look great, but I'm not the best at visualizing these sort of things.

I would have liked to have gotten a 97 or better but really couldn't afford the 10k premium.. so got a 95 for 38k instead of the high 40's would have cost. The differences between the cars wasn't worth the 10k to me.

Luckily I was after a coupe, so I didn't have to make this decision.
Tough call...
To me, the 6 speed is the big news.

Larger engine displacement (bore increased from 90mm to 93mm) from 3.0L to 3.2L on manual transmission cars. :biggrin:

Numerous emission control system changes :mad:

Six speed manual transmission :biggrin:

6th gear is engaged by a solenoid. The gearshift activates a switch to change gears. :mad:

Dual-disc clutch changed to a single disc clutch
Dual mass flywheel :mad:

The final gear ratio does not change, so 6th gear in the 1997 NSX results in 6.9% higher vehicle speed than 5th gear in the 1996 model. :biggrin:

Refined electronic power steering control :mad:

ibDursty said:
I would have liked to have gotten a 97 or better but really couldn't afford the 10k premium.. so got a 95 for 38k instead of the high 40's would have cost. The differences between the cars wasn't worth the 10k to me.

Agreed. The extra money I would have spent on a 3.2 could go for performance mods on the 3.0 that I hope are more effective.

BTW: ibDursy, noticed you are "in my area" did you add yourself to the map?

http://www.risingconcepts.com/frapper/nsxowners

FuryNSX said:
jkeen01,
Hope this helps. Ken, I hope you don't mind me using your pic to visualize. :)

-Randy

Thanks for the help. I don't mean to be a pain, but by any chance could you do the pics w/ a Red NSX that has the color matching top? Again, my visualization skills are just terrible.

On a side note, based upon some of the comments here, especially those made by MCM, it sounds like the only major positive change for 1997 was the improved engine. I looked at the laundry list of changes made in 1997 and figured the car was much more refined, but based on MCM's comments, it doesn't sound like some of the changes were really for the better (anyone care to comment or point out the changes in 1997 that do in fact make the car much better than the 1995/96 models).

For me, I'm not sure the bigger engine will make much of a difference. I've never owned a sports car that even comes close to the 270 hp engine NSX, so just moving up to that level will make for a noticeable difference for me. It will probably come down to whether I can find a 1997+ Red/Tan NSX for around $45K. Whether I buy a 1995/96 or 1997+, I'm looking for a car with under 40k miles. Obviously, I'll have much more options and much more affordable options with the 1995/96 NSX (I figure I can get one from those years for just under $40K).

Perhaps you could use the price differental between the two for engine mods, but you won't be getting that money back when it comes to resale. Sure, you could return it to a stock vehicle by removing the mods, but you're still going to be set back some.

They are selling for a premium, so some one must recognize the difference. I've owned both, and I think there's a big difference. The price difference and justification depends on your budget.

If your budget is there, drive both, and then decide.

Good luck.

I had a '91 and currently have a '97. I can tell you the difference is tremendous. Don't let the 20hp difference fool you....the 3.2 cars are much quicker and the 6spd is great. My '91 had I/H/E/chip/short gears/clutch/etc and the '97 feels quicker. Maybe I just ended up with a healty one, but it feels like a low-low 13-sec car bone stock. With a couple of bolts ons i'm sure it would click of a hi 12. I also enjoy the pwr steering of the '95+, especially the fact that it has a mode for dampening and for 'kickback' (I find it easier/smoother to recover the car when the tail gets loose). Removing the roof on a nice day is an added bonus, but leads to my one complaint about the targa cars....there is a major difference in rigidity when the roof is off. I know this should be obvious, but I was still surprised...one of the things I enjoyed most about my coupe was the incredibly rigid chassis (don't get me wrong...it doesn't cowl shake like a Sebring or anything like that). That being said, there are so many improvements to the newer cars that IMO it's well worth the premium if you can manage it. The ABS system is also improved, one of my biggest complaints about the earlier cars and a common problem for 'new' owners of the those cars. The window regulators, an extremely common problem, is rectified on the newer cars. No oil press gauge problems. Wheels and tires are bigger, brakes are bigger. Traction control and power steering are also improved. Lastly, you should take note that the drivetrain on these cars did not change from '97 to the end of of production in '05 (except minor changes to the throttle computer, ABS software, and transmission), so buying a '97-up will essentially give you the same driving experience as a brand new one. Here's a little list charting the differences...I made it (with help from the FAQ) to talk myself into a newer one, it might have the same effect on you...
- Jon

Improved warranty coverage from 3 years/36,000 miles to 4 years/45,000 miles (’93)<O:p></O:p>

Added cup holder to center console, console cover got two separate openings (‘93), removed DOHC VTEC badge (’94)<O:p></O:p>

Added passenger air bag (as a result, drastically reduced size of glove box) (’93)<O:p></O:p>

TCS light no longer shines Green when actived, still shines yellow when inactive )’95)<O:p></O:p>

Switched A/C system from CFC-based R12 to ozone-friendly R134A (’93)<O:p></O:p>

Tan interior replaced Ivory, color-keyed rear wall of int tan for tan int cars (’94)<O:p></O:p>

Black int changed from Code E to Code J, it’s a little lighter, a dark charcoal (’95)<O:p></O:p>

Wheels changed from 5-spoke 15x? 16x? to 7-spoke 16x7 17x8.5, new wheel color Solaris Silver, paint code NH-536M (’94)<O:p></O:p>

Tires changed from 205/50ZR16 and 215/45ZR16 Yokohama A022H to 215/45ZR16 and 245/40ZR17 (’94)<O:p></O:p>

Roof now body colored (’95)<O:p></O:p>

Different exhaust tips (round instead of oval) (’95)<O:p></O:p>

Gear cut method changed to reduce gear noise (’94)<O:p></O:p>

Changed gearing of 2<SUP>nd</SUP> gear from 1.727 to 1.800 (’95)<O:p></O:p>

Modified airflow to brakes to improve cooling (’95)<O:p></O:p>

Changed rear alignment to 2mm less toe-in (4mm total) to improve tire wear (’93)<O:p></O:p>

Throttle-by-wire (’95)<O:p></O:p>

LSD changes from Torque Control to Torque Reactive, combined w/ TBW increased speed out of a corner by 10% (’95)<O:p></O:p>

Bumper reinforcements changed to extruded aluminum instead of stamped steel (’95)<O:p></O:p>

NSX-T model debuts, weighs 95lbs more than ’91-92 due to reinforcements for targa top (3164 lbs vs 3069 lbs) (’95)<O:p></O:p>

EPS standard, variable ratio 18.2:1 to 20.8:1, 3 operating modes – normal, return, damper control (’95)<O:p></O:p>

1997 CHANGES:<O:p</O:p

New wheel color on all wheels: Blades Silver (a bright machined/brushed looking finish) <O:p></O:p>

Larger front and rear brake rotor diameters and rotor thickness. The bracket and the rotors are the major change <O:p></O:p>

Front caliper pistons went from 40mm and 34mm to 40mm and 36mm<O:p></O:p>

Larger engine displacement (bore increased 90mm to 93mm) 3.0L to 3.2L on manual trans cars. Model number C32B<O:p></O:p>

Horse power increase from 270 hp to 290 hp and torque increase from 210 lbs-ft to 224 lbs-ft (manual transmission) <O:p></O:p>

Different exhaust manifolds, now stainless steel and free breathing <O:p></O:p>

Different cylinder linings, fiber reinforced (FRM) <O:p></O:p>

Larger intake valves <O:p></O:p>

Different head gaskets <O:p></O:p>

Larger connecting rod bearings <O:p></O:p>

Numerous emission control system changes <O:p></O:p>

Six speed manual transmission - 6th gear is engaged by a solenoid. The gearshift activates a switch to change gears<O:p></O:p>

Double synchros on 3rd through 6th gears<O:p></O:p>

Lockout of reverse gear above 12mph <O:p></O:p>

Dual-disc clutch changed to a single disc clutch <O:p></O:p>

Dual mass flywheel <O:p></O:p>

Heat absorbing green glass instead of bronze glass <O:p></O:p>

Immobilizer anti-theft system with coded key using an electronic transponder, no more all-metal keys<O:p></O:p>

Ignition switch light went away to make room for the immobilizer antenna<O:p></O:p>

Improved NVH (Noise Vibration and Harshness) <O:p></O:p>

The final gear ratio does not change, so 6th gear in 97 NSX results in 6.9% higher vehicle speed than 5th gear in 96 model<O:p></O:p>

New aluminum alloy in selected body areas to reduce weight and increase rigidity (stronger, thinner alum body panels)<O:p></O:p>

Larger spare tire size to clear new brakes (from 15 in to 16 in diameter) <O:p></O:p>

Refined electronic power steering control <O:p></O:p>

Revised shape of the front spoiler <O:p></O:p>

Refined ABS braking system <O:p></O:p>

Improved Traction Control System (TCS) with new control logic<O:p></O:p>

Last edited:
As mentioned in my initial post, let's not forget that mileage and changes aside, you are still getting a car that is 2 years newer, so the price difference also includes 8 year depreciation for the 1997 versus the 10 year depreciation for the 1995.

Back