1995 NSX Targa Top Rattle Noise

Hi All!
I’m wondering if you recommend a fix to a Rattling Noise coming from my 95’ Targa Top when I go over some bumps. Usually there was not much noise but recently it’s gotten noticeably louder. Any advice would be appreciated Thanks!

Remove the targa top and take it apart slowly noting how all the parts fit together Sounds like you have a loose screw or one that has back out and is rattling inside. Flip the targa on its back first. You will have to take the trim off and the targa levers. I have the luxury of having two two tops so I didn’t have a problem understanding the mechanisms but if you only have the one then it would be a bit trickier to fully understand how it works. Each side is a mirror image of the other if that helps.

Have you tried applying Shin-etsu grease or silicone grease to the gasket surfaces on the A and B pillars - particularly the horizontal surface that actually contacts the roof panel. This should be standard maintenance for T roof owners.
If you have not done this already, try the grease treatment to see if it resolves the issue.

If you have an actual hard surface on hard surface rattle, you need to determine the nature of the rattle. Does it sound like something has come loose and is moving around in the mechanism or does it sound like the whole panel is moving with respect to the A and B Pillars? You would also want to confirm that the rattle is directly tied to the roof panel by driving around with no panel and confirming that the rattle disappears.

Assuming it is roof panel related, the easy stuff:
- check the condition of the rear lock receiver dampers. These are plastic / rubber plugs that fit into the holes in the B pillar that the pins in the roof lock mechanism fit into. Make sure one or more has not gone missing
-each pin in the roof locking mechanism goes through a guide / bushing (so four of them) on the roof panel. Flip the panel over on a flat surface covered with a towel and make sure that the guides are there and have not cracked.
- with the roof panel out and upside down, check each of the interior trim pieces to make sure that they have not come loose.

Not so easy stuff:
With the roof panel locked in place, try wiggling the lock handle and release knob. These should all be nice and firm with no slop. If you have some movement you may have a problem with the lock mechanism which would be unusual because unless you R&R the roof panel every day this is not exactly a high wear area. I don't know that there is anything serviceable in the roof lock mechanism. If you find that you do have a problem with the lock mechanism and need to replace it there is a process for replacement and more importantly adjustment of the lock mechanism in the service manual.

With the roof panel locked in place and the door open, grip the panel at the outside edges (both sides) and try moving it. It should not move. If it does you have a problem of some kind with the lock receivers, pin guides or the lock mechanism.

The lock receivers (that the four roof panel locking pins fit into) are mounted in the four corners of the A and B pillars. One or more of the lock receivers could have come loose or out of adjustment. This is non trivial to deal with since it requires removal of the interior trim on the pillars and you need to follow the service manual for replacement and adjustment. Again, this would be unusual and I have never heard of anybody experiencing this.

I recommend that you start looking for a service manual for the 1995 as you need it if you need to adjust anything on the roof panel correctly.

If the A and / or B pillar gaskets have significantly deformed or deteriorated this can lead to increased noise. This is why the regular treatment with Shin-etsu should be standard maintenance for Tee roof owners. If the gaskets have deformed the official fix is replacement. Unfortunately, the gaskets are really really expensive and it is a lot of work to replace them so this is probably a place you do not want to go.

Back