1995 NSX in local auction.

Nice paint choice to give it the "classic" black top look; I can respect that. Funny that they used the Ferrari color naming, I wonder if it really is a different shade of red than the factory Formula Red. The seats appear to have received some loving as well based on the "NSX" stitching, although they look normal other than that and consistent with 20k miles, I wonder if they just added the stitching.

For an auction car, appears to be a fairly decent automobile and may make for a good find for someone.
Bring your camera :)

Looking at the pic of the passenger side sill plate that paint seems to have a TON of orange peel and maybe even some dirt in it.

Also pic of engine bay has the sides of the rails panted red. That is not factory.

Looking at the pic of the passenger side sill plate that paint seems to have a TON of orange peel and maybe even some dirt in it.

Also pic of engine bay has the sides of the rails panted red. That is not factory.

Odd that someone would repaint a 20K mi car but it looks like this one came from an auto museum collection in Fl. (photo you can see the NSX across from the Delorean) which might explain why they'd respray it. Although if I'd repainted a car I'd pop the $100 bucks for a new spoiler. Are those original Yokohamas on it?

Looking forward to your report Doc.

Attachments

• Room12.jpg
    Room12.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:
I went and checked out the car. I did a VIN search and nothing shows up. Decent repaint, some waves present. The Red is definitely a Ferrari Corso Red and bill for paint was $4000 and done in 2008 by a decent shop in Jupiter,FL. I've meet the shop owner before and he does a lot of re-sprays on high end cars. The pictures are pretty accurate of the condition. Service records were available. In 2007 Delray Acura replaced the CCU for $1300. The usual oil changes were done, but no service for the TB/WP/Hoses. Trunk struts are weak, all tools present, and slight wear on the drivers bolster, all consistent with the overall condition. I think the car was repainted just because the owners really like red cars; 90% of the cars there were red. My father is bidding on a few cars and I told him to go for a max of $29k on the NSX. A lot of lookers at the NSX and I was giving some good info on the NSX that people were not aware of. My only worry is that if my father does buy it that he will get bored with it and want to sell it. Because of the paint job it will be a tough sell, however the miles are low and that offsets the repaint.

+1, if that is indicative of the rest of the car stay away... Def not painted in a proper paint booth.

Well the car sold for $41k, plus 10% buyer fee, brings it to $45,100 otd. I think it's a little too much for a car that needs service service and a repaint for "no apparent" reason.

What do you guys think?

Hey Rob you're spot on. I saw the car at the preview yesterday and agree with your assessment. I was going to post but you beat me to it and I was not at the auction today. I spoke to a guy who was very keen on the car and I told him to log on to Prime to get an idea on pricing. He may have been the successful bidder but IMO it's not worth the price paid, particularly with the TB/WP change on the horizon. I guess it's the Mecum hype.

After the markup its definitely steep. Haggerty and KBB place the value of an "exellent" car that more or less looks and drives like new at $40K. Depending on your logic, as Rob says, the low mileage might offset the cost of catching up the service if its a really clean car but a respray in another non-OEM color would have to detract some in my opinion.

The cars that sold in Vegas for over $50K were no where near excellent cond but they sold. Either way these sales at auction that are near the top end $$ help the NSX values over all.

Last edited:
That's Mecum hype at it's best. Car's not worth that and the paint is not as attractive as stock. I would be very suspicous of a repaint to just get a Ferrari color but you never know about someone's taste. I think that paint detracts from it's value and some people are just suckers. I wouldn't pay 40k for it. I think it should be around 37k or maybe a little more, even with the low miles - no service and a funky red? No way dudes....

That is some BIG money $$$

Well the car sold for $41k, plus 10% buyer fee, brings it to $45,100 otd. I think it's a little too much for a car that needs service service and a repaint for "no apparent" reason.

What do you guys think?

Some bidders must have been caught up in the moment. But hey, it's good news for all present NSX owners.

Back