1993 NSX did it have traction control?

I drove a 93 5spd today and noticed that there was a traction control button next to the steering column was this standard?

yes. I have a 93. The traction control sucks. In my opinion, it's actually dangerous because it cuts out so abruptly and completely. I rather ride out a slide using my right foot. I just pull the fuse. Problem fixed.

Kelvinz said:
I drove a 93 5spd today and noticed that there was a traction control button next to the steering column was this standard?

Yes. Did you know that if you press it 3 times within 2 seconds it also functions as a passenger seat ejection trigger. (TCS also stands for Take Care Shithead)

Hugh said:
Yes. Did you know that if you press it 3 times within 2 seconds it also functions as a passenger seat ejection trigger. (TCS also stands for Take Care Shithead)
:biggrin:

KooLaid said:
yes. I have a 93. The traction control sucks. In my opinion, it's actually dangerous because it cuts out so abruptly and completely. I rather ride out a slide using my right foot. I just pull the fuse. Problem fixed.

That's bizarre. I have a 93 as well and I've only seen it engage once or twice in wet conditions during hard cornering. It has never been abrupt or even noticeable. Either you do a lot of sideways driving or your TCS might be malfuntioning.

KooLaid said:
I'm not too sure. I tried to do a hard launch and it was like vrooooom duhhhhhhhhh............ dead, then it finally lurched forward.

do you have the wrong size tires/wheels??

I'm having similar problems with my TCS. It will come on after the car has warmed up and I rev the engine past 6000 rpm. Once on, the motor feels like its bogging when accellerating from a stop or after a slow turn. I get a trouble code of 5-1 and 3-4. I've ordered a new main relay as this was a problem with the early nsx's. For $55.00, it's worth a try. I'll let you know how it turns out.

rickysals said:
do you have the wrong size tires/wheels??

This was with stock wheels, sized tires. It only kicked in twice during hard launches and that was enough for me to just pull the fuse. I actually like it this way :)

The traction control in the NSX isn't very sophisticated. I leave mine on unless I am at the track. I rarely get it to engage on the streets unless its in strait line acceleration.

I agree with the abrupt cutoff statement. If you are at the limit and it cuts the throttle you may end up snap spinning in the other direction. If it is off you have better control and can feather the throttle and get through the corner ok.

Having said this, unless you are an experienced driver and have the discipline to stay on the throttle in this type of situation, most people should not worry about disabling the TCS. Just leave it on and forget about it. You really shouldn't be sliding the NSX too much on the street anyhow.

TCS is standard on all except the Type R. Which in your case, no need to worry about, because it doesn not exist in the States. If the previous owner took it off, that's a different story. Traction control is turned off only if push the button down.

KooLaid said:
I'm not too sure. I tried to do a hard launch and it was like vrooooom duhhhhhhhhh............ dead, then it finally lurched forward.

That's normal when you try to wheel spin from a standing start. TCS is not launch control!

Back