• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1992 clutch issue

49000 miles
1992 stock car

A few weeks ago I started to notice that my shifting was getting hard and rough
I checked the clutch oil fill tank in the front of the car and it’s full. I do not here grinding nor smell anything can the clutch be gone with this many miles on it?
Any other ideas on what to check
:confused:

Unless the clutch is slipping there should be no reason that the clutch should be replaced. The only thing that breaks in oem clutches are the friction disk damper springs.

Have you ever had your trans fluid changed?

If not, you should have it changed and refilled with the acura genuine manual transmission fluid.

It can make all the difference in the world to the shifting performance.

Last edited:
The tranny fluid change is easy. Get a 3/4 flexible tube and run it down to the fill hole and fill from the top of the engine bay. Use the Honda white cap MTF and you'll be surprised at the difference. I was.

Last edited:
thank you

would anyone have a drawings of this area so i know were all the parts are that i need to work with

All you need to know is where the tranny drain plug is, where the refill plug is and how many quarts of MTF you need. Do a "search" here and you'll find the info.

i am very confused

i copied this out of the manual
yet many postings say to use a different oil
what is best ?

Replace. Proper Level.​
OIL FILLER PLUG
45 N-m (4.5 kg-m, 33 Ib-ft)​
2. The oil level must be up to the fill hole. If it is below
the hole, add oil until it runs out, then reinstall the
oil filler plug.
3. If the transmission oil is dirty, remove the drain plug
and drain the oil.
4. Reinstall the drain plug with a new washer, and
refill the transmission oil to the proper level.
5. Reinstall the oil filler plug with a new washer.
NOTE: The drain plug washer should be replaced
at every oil change.​
Oil Capacity
2.7 (2.9 US qt, 2.4 Imp qt) at oil change.
2.8 (3.0 US qt, 2.5 Imp qt) at overhaul.​
Use only SAE10W-30 or 10W-40, API Service SF
or SG grade.​
DRAIN PLUG
40 N-m (4.0 kg-m, 29 Ib-ft)​
WASHER Replace

For what it's worth.

If changing the transmission fluid doesn't correct the issue, I recommend changing the rubber clutch hose and re-bleeding the system. I had intermittent issues with clutch engagement and disengagement and this resolved the issue. The symptoms were similar to what you describe as it made the car hard to shift, but the pedal felt fine. I bled the system multiple times thinking that was the issue and chased my tail until changing the rubber hydraulic line. Also, it was not visible that it was leaking in any way.

This is the best site and the most helpful people I have encountered.
I belong to other sites for some other cars and they in no way compare to the assistance I received here at NSX Prime
All of your input is very helpful and the knowable you provide is great
Thank you all.
I purchased the white cap oil and will be doing the work this weekend.
I will also be checking the hose.

Back