1991 nsx jh4na1156mt000154

Hello Everyone.

I have started my search for my own NSX after my first glimpse of one way back in the early 90's at the Acura dealer here in Winnipeg, right at confusion corner. As a 23 year old kid back then I said I would have one of those one day. Well, situations have changed and I am looking for my toy.

So, I started my search in Winnipeg on the off chance there might be one here and look what I found.

http://fortrougeauto.autotrader.ca/used/Acura/1991-Acura-NSX-42aa47837f00000101aecf454ea5d847.htm

I spoke to the owner of this car. She has had it for 3 years. Originally came from Las Vegas and it was seized as the proceeds of a drug case, then auctioned off. She has driven it in the summer only, about 5 times she said. It comes with non-original wheels (which were on the car when she purchased it and she does not have the originals). I spent about 45 minutes going over the car top to bottom and it appears in quite good condition. Obviously no test drives in the middle of winter, but started up easily and antenna works, both windows, air, heat all work. I followed the check list from Hondatuner magazine that was linked on this forum. The driver's seat bolster has a bit of cracking, but interior is mint otherwise. The "trunk" has all the jack and stuff in it. Original spare tire in the front.

I have been searching the internet quite a bit lately and have been comparing prices of similar years and milage and I think she has it over priced. I know the price is in Canadian dollars, but our dollar is almost at par lately so the price difference is not substantial compared to USD prices. I was figuring around $37.5 to $40K for this car. My question is that a fair price for the car, given you obviously can't look the car over yourselves?

Thanks for looking at this post. I have Googled the serial number and searched this website for the serial number as well and nothing comes up. Carfax has it listed with 9 items listed, but I have not purchased the carfax for this car. I am not going to spend the money on the carfax report if she doesn't drop the price a bit. If she doesn't budge on the price I will start looking in the US a bit more closely. My parents winter in Texas so I can start my search down south and go from there.

Personally, yes, I think that $51,979 USD (current exchange rate) is way overpriced for a 1991 with 27,000 miles on it.

I would think that if it were a "prime" (excuse the pun) example that it MIGHT go for $28-33K USD. That is if there were no deferred maintenance, everything were in working order, the mechanic who performed the PPI said, "Wow, I'd jump on this one now!". Etc. Etc. Even then, expect to find routine maintenance items that you are going to want to have performed (first thing I had done was all 22 coolant hoses changed on my 94.....they were 15 years old afterall).

That is just my estimation though, I haven't seen the car in person, just coming up with numbers (that might even be on the high end) from what I've seen of the past few years.

Last edited:
I live in Regina and have had my '91 since 2001. I imported it from the US and paid $29k USD for it at the time when the exchange rate was 1.6... and by the time all was said and done, my cost was close to the Canadian used market price. The difference was that the market is very small and there were very few cars to choose from if you're looking for a specific color combo.

So, here we are 9 years later with the dollar near par and I think you could find newer than a '91 for $30k. Convert to C$; add the 6.1% duty (which you may not even need to pay if it's over 15 year old); pay GST/PST; and you're at about $37 Cdn or less... much lower than what you'd pay for this one.

The Canadian used market has always been quite a bit higher than what you can import one for. I think that part of this is that cost of importing goes up and down as the dollar does but the Canadian used market price just drops slightly with age. You're lucky to have found one locally but you'd definitely be paying a premium in my opinion. But, on the other hand, you don't have to fly somewhere to inspect it and risk coming back empty handed. People just tend to shy away from remote deals .. even more so if it's in another country.

BTW .. I have driven mine daily ...year round. It had 90k miles on it when I bought it and it currently has 165k+ miles on it. It's a great car. Yours sounds like low miles for a '91 and maybe that's why she asking a premium. However, the major service interval is at 80k miles or 7 years and I'm betting that because of the lower miles, it hasn't been done but really needs to be because of the age. Which means you're going to immediately be looking at several thousands to have the timing belt and water pump replaced... or risk having the engine self destruct.

I got my 91 nsx with 28k miles last July for ~ $27k. The previous owner had no maintenance records worth noting. I ended up spent another 5k to get all maintenance down.

With that said, I am sure there are a lot less NSX roaming in Canada than in the US. So what we paid here might not be relevant.

I did notice the roof has been painted red, not black as it came from the factory, and the exhaust tips are round not oval. Just a couple small things I saw in the pictures. I agree with the others that replied, the price is a bit high.

i have seen that car on canada trader for almost 2 years..i beleive it is way overpriced. I purchaded a 99 nsx-t for $36k last summer from calgary. i know there are some for sale in calgary right now for less, check canada trader. 94 brookland green with 60000 km for around $38K. there are a few other 91's with 120000 km for close to $30000.

good luck

Back