1991 NSX ex NJ car found in Greece! JH4NA1159MT000181

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if I could ask for your help. I recently came across a 1991 Acura NSX with 23744mi located in Athens, Greece. Unfrotunately Greece has no Acura dealerships thus I have no access to this car's records or specifications.
Inspecting it I came to realize this is a US car that was first delivered to New Jersey's Acura of Ocean. I did call them but they have no records other than a date of first delivery to Mr. Peart back in 1991. The NJ motor vehicle division does not accept overseas applications for Title search.
Can anyone offer some guidance or help? Does anyone recall any prior NSX owner named Peart in NJ? Thank you very much in advance!

Larry, I think you should go to Greece and take a look! A car that early sounds like mine except if it was off the grid it is either an unearthed treasure or a former wreck.

I wonder if Carfax would even help with a car like this? It would be a great place to start but if the car has no records you won't find anything. I called my local dealer and was able to confirm that this vehicle (like mine) has never been in for service at Acura. This is the same case as with my car.

Other than having the car gone over well I don't know what else you can do. I'm very interested to hear how you make out.
<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/d443ee61/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

greece is the word its got mood its got feeling....

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if I could ask for your help. I recently came across a 1991 Acura NSX with 23744mi located in Athens, Greece. Unfrotunately Greece has no Acura dealerships thus I have no access to this car's records or specifications.
Inspecting it I came to realize this is a US car that was first delivered to New Jersey's Acura of Ocean. I did call them but they have no records other than a date of first delivery to Mr. Peart back in 1991. The NJ motor vehicle division does not accept overseas applications for Title search.
Can anyone offer some guidance or help? Does anyone recall any prior NSX owner named Peart in NJ? Thank you very much in advance!

Nicolis - Although I cannot help you directly you should know that many/most USA state BMV's/DMV's/SOS's routinely purge their motor vehicle title records after a selected duration of time with no activity on the vehicle. For instance, in my home state of Michigan, our SOS purges their active record(s) on a vehicle if there is no "activity" on the vehicle for seven (7) years. "Activity" defined as a titling event, registration event, placement/removal of a vehicle lien, owner's address change, etc.

FWIW. Good fortune in your quest!

Hi Ken and Larry,
I did check with carfax and it is clean with no issues (only the seat belt recall).
I would be more than happy to send you numerous photos of the car. As I know very little on NSXs any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Larry is the guru of NSX. He is an excellent mechanic and did all of the work on my car. Please send pictures when you can.

The items that I ran into are numerous. Most of them are due to the age of the car and not the mileage. If the car has not had work done during its life you will need to have Larry or a qualified NSX mechanic perform the following maintenance:

Timing Belt
Hoses
Plugs
Wires
Other items that have aged poorly

Also, are there any warning lights on when the car is running such as:

TCS
ABS
SRS

These will have to be addressed. There is also a high probability that the climate control system may not work due to the circuit board.

Where will the car reside after purchase? Larry is the authority here and can get everything fixed for you. <script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/199eb874/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Nicolis - Although I cannot help you directly you should know that many/most USA state BMV's/DMV's/SOS's routinely purge their motor vehicle title records after a selected duration of time with no activity on the vehicle. For instance, in my home state of Michigan, our SOS purges their active record(s) on a vehicle if there is no "activity" on the vehicle for seven (7) years. "Activity" defined as a titling event, registration event, placement/removal of a vehicle lien, owner's address change, etc.

FWIW. Good fortune in your quest!

Thank you sir!

- - - Updated - - -

I wish I could send it over to Larry. I did forward him some photos. I took the car to a local Honda dealership and (as expected) they were clueless as this is the only NSX ever in Greece. Thus I compiled my own remarks:
Body: The paint has been re-applied on all panels. There is respray in the inner trunk fenders. In the trunk there was no metalwork found to suggest panel repair due to accident. However the respray cannot be explained. The roof coating has faded and is in need of a respray. Also there are dents around the body that could be dealt with locally. Both rear panels seem to have been removed and fitted again.

Engine: The engine runs very well. No smoke or odors were detected. However the catalytic converter is expected to be of age and will need replacement.
Transmission: The gears engaged well with no sychromesh problems. The clutch engages a bit towards the end of the pedal travel. That may require adjustment. No disc slip was noticed upon clutch release. The gearshift level did not move in response to revving the engine.
Brakes: All brakes engaged strongly with no pull to either side. ABS engaged correctly fully arresting the car.

Cabin: All leather trim and switches are in excellent condition and consistent with the mileage. A switch surrounding on the passenger door has some scrapes. No rattles or squeeking sounds were heard during test drive.
Electrics: The A/C round knob and the audio round knob are very loose and do not operate at all times. The A/C failed to engage as the knob did not stay on for more than a few seconds. An electrician suggested that the underlying knob rings should be broken. Cost to repair should be around 100 euros. The knobs on the right side of the console are very firm. Both windows worked properly. Both healights lifted at equal sppeds. The antenna did not lift all the way due to lack of lubrication. Indeed SRS was on the whole time.

AC: The AC could not be engaged during inspection. During test drive, a slight whirling sound was heard from the front of the car that quickly went away by revving the engine. No freon leaks or low levels were noticed. The owner mentioned that the AC operated normally on the way back from the inspection.

My car was repainted as well, however I have meticulously gone over the car and I would say the paint on mine is very good. It sounds like your car has been through some stuff and I defer to Larry for the mechanics but there is more work to be done than your post suggests. I am worried about the fact that the car was repainted in sections yet others seem to show signs that the car spent a lot of time outside (fading roof, etc.).

I don't know about the CAT. My car is the same age and we have not had any discussions on that end. The AC is an issue since the 91 uses R12 and you will need to convert it to 134. It sounds like you need to have your AC control unit circuit board replaced. Science of Speed has a core swap program that will take care of that. The SRS light is also an issue that requires a new circuit board. I sent mine out to Brian K. You should really have the car put up on a lift and have a mechanic you trust determine what happened with the dents/sloppy repaint on the panels. You need to determine if this is cosmetic or the result of a frame damaging accident in the car's past.

I think Larry will agree that the clutch sounds suspect as well since it should engage with the pedal almost to the floor. You will probably need a new master and slave cylinder for the clutch (we just did mine) and you should have yours evaluated and adjusted as well to see if there is a problem.

As far as the radio I did send mine to Larry a while ago to be repaired. There is a service that is repairing these and based on the increasing rarity of the radios you should have yours fixed if possible or move to an aftermarket head unit, which is the direction I took. I have found that each system in this car is a chapter in a large book. Once you can get all of the systems running the car is a Honda Accord.

<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/fcb303b0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

You may want to talk to Larry and see if you can get him there. He did make a house call for me and my brother to fix my clutch.

If there are no mechanics there you may want to have all of the parts needed sent by FEDEX and see if Larry would make a house call.

Don't feel bad about the Honda dealer being clueless. I took my car to my Acura dealer and they looked like they never saw an NSX before too.<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/c031d702/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

see you are not alone....

Back