1991 acura nsx for sale

Newbie question:

Looking at buying a 1991 acura nsx. It has 108000 miles. Has been lowered, 18's in the front, 19's in the rear. Has timing belt, water pump done at 77,000?? miles. Paint and interior are in fair/good condition. The only problem is the rear tires. They are bald on the inside, and good rubber on the outer. Can this be remedied? What is this car worth? (ballpark). Anything else I should look for? Thanks in advance.

scott_tiller said:
The only problem is the rear tires. They are bald on the inside, and good rubber on the outer. Can this be remedied?
Buy new tires but if the car is lowered then you may not be able to get the alignment to spec so you will wear out the insides of the new ones also.
scott_tiller said:
What is this car worth? (ballpark). Anything else I should look for? Thanks in advance.
See
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/BuySell/pricing.htm
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/BuySell/nsx_purchase_process.htm

scott_tiller said:
Newbie question:

Looking at buying a 1991 acura nsx. It has 108000 miles. Has been lowered, 18's in the front, 19's in the rear. Has timing belt, water pump done at 77,000?? miles. Paint and interior are in fair/good condition. The only problem is the rear tires. They are bald on the inside, and good rubber on the outer. Can this be remedied? What is this car worth? (ballpark). Anything else I should look for? Thanks in advance.

Depending on how far the car is lowered, and if the suspension has ever been damaged, you may be able to get back into specs. There are a lot of variables there.

Dave Hardy said:
For a '91 with over 100K on the clock, I'd start at a base price of $20K and add / subtract from there. Lots of wear, excessive paint chips, accident damage, and snap ring tranny would all subtract. The rims will add a bit. I'd call the lowering springs a wash.
For a '91 with over 100K on the clock, I'd start at a base price of $25K and add / subtract from there. At that mileage, you would expect a fair amount of wear and paint chips. Wear beyond what would be consistent for the mileage, accident damage, unrepaired snap ring tranny, and lack of maintenance would all subtract. Better than average condition (for that mileage), complete maintenance history, and maintenance performed on schedule would all add. I'd call the rims and the lowering springs a wash.

Dave Hardy said:
For a '91 with over 100K on the clock, I'd start at a base price of $20K and add / subtract from there. Lots of wear, excessive paint chips, accident damage, and snap ring tranny would all subtract. The rims will add a bit. I'd call the lowering springs a wash.

Where do you see $20k and lower NSX's? I think $23.5k-$25k is the norm' for 1991-1992 cars with 100k miles.

By the way; when my car was stock and I bought it (92 with 28k) it had brand new tires on it. They were the stock tires- Bridgestone potenza's although I may be incorrect and they wore out extremly fast. They had 4k miles on them when the center started to wear out pretty badly;but Im sure my new fondness for the car accellerated this effect. I lowered my car and put on 19in rear tires and have put almost 6k miles on them and they still appear brand new; even the centers :eek:

Not for $20K or lower. Not unless there is something seriously wrong with them (e.g. salvage title, crash damage, fourth gear doesn't engage) beyond just the high mileage.

Dave Hardy said:
There are plenty of others, but those were found in 5 minutes.
Sometimes it will take you a lot longer than 5 minutes to find out what's wrong with a car. Sometimes it won't. For example, the second car listed is in pretty beat up shape, and needs a lot of expense repair work (such as the A/C, which can cost several thousand dollars).

Sure, you can buy an absolutely beat-to-crap NSX with 100K+ miles for around $20K, that you'll then have to spend thousands to make things like the A/C work. But not one that is in halfway decent shape, with wear only consistent with miles and no major repairs needed (unless you get really lucky and find an owner selling his car for much less than it's worth). Thanks for providing such a great example of why you CAN'T buy a decent high-mileage NSX for ~$20K! :D

Note also that the one that you mention hasn't sold. It will go for less.

Sochiro's was described as basically perfect, complete with a good history, though I know nothing about it other than what he said. The ones on autotrader look good, though you don't learn much from a trader ad. They still don't have glaring problems. They aren't what I would call beat to crap. A beat to crap car, which is what I would consider the infamous 4th gear car, was struggling to find a buyer who didn't laugh at $15K, with the more likely offer being $10-$12K.

Maybe the difference we're seeing is in the definition of "decent" I guess I am more forgiving of defects than you. That's OK - different strokes as the phrase goes. :) Hell - my daily is a CRX that I bought off of a dealer's back lot for $1000 with bad paint and a dead head. I was thrilled to find it :)

Dave Hardy said:
The ones on autotrader look good, though you don't learn much from a trader ad. They still don't have glaring problems.
I take it you know that because you have had them inspected by a qualified NSX technician in the sellers' area...? Please let us know what faults they found.

Dave Hardy said:
Sochiro's was described as basically perfect, complete with a good history, though I know nothing about it other than what he said.
I do.

First of all, you claimed that this car was listed for $21K and then the price was reduced. This is absolutely not true. The car was listed for $25K and it didn't sell for a while. It was then reduced to a price significantly more than $21K and it sold within four hours. (When a car sells in less than a day, it is usually an indication that it was priced less than market value.) This car had various items on it that needed attention, including the original clutch (at 92K miles) - figure $2000-2500, the need for a timing belt and water pump replacement - figure $1200-1400, and the need for major scheduled maintenance - figure $800-1000. So here is a car that needs $4-5K of work, and it sold for MORE THAN $20K (more than $21K, in fact); do the services that are needed on it, and you're in the upper $20K's for a decent NSX.

Thanks for providing another example of how a decent high-mileage NSX can't be purchased for $20K! :D

nsxtasy said:
Thanks for providing another example of how a decent high-mileage NSX can't be purchased for $20K! :D

No problem :) Though I could have sworn I saw it for $21K, because I considered it since it was local, and I don't consider $25K cars. Also, since it said like new and mentioned up to date maintanance I assumed that the 90K had been done and the clutch was, well, like new.

don't assume or generalize...

Dave Hardy said:
...I assumed that...

hmmm... Assumptions are the mother of all F'-ups... :biggrin:

Game04.jpg

Back