1991-1994 Targa Conversion???

Hi,

I'm new to this forum but have been reading for awhile. I am seriously thinking about purchasing an Acura NSX. I have an '06 Honda S2000 with 11,000 miles on it and absolutely love it and plan on keeping it. I can only believe I would love the NSX just as much if not more. I am willing to spend between $0.00 - $30,000 for a car in the right condition. I would consider buying one that needs some work all the way to one that is 100% up on it's maintenance.

Now here's my question: There is an NSX for sale in my area that is a 1992 but it has a Targa top. Now I know these weren't factory until 1995 but was anyone doing coversions on these cars successfully? With convertibles, they usually beef up the chassis to make a drop top to minimize flex. What did Acura do to the chassis to minimize flex with the factory Targa in '95? I haven't seen the car in person yet to determine if it's even worthy of purchase but I can get it for a very low price.

Next up, there is also a very nice '95 Targa in my area for around $30K that is up on all the maintenance. It's a very nice car and would need only my personal touches to be complete.

I am also not opposed to flying anywhere in the country to pick up the right car. I have been looking and would like to purchase in the spring but if the right car comes around I would jump yet this fall.

Any hints on what to really look for in a used car? and any opinions on that Targa conversion before I look at it? also a car needing maintenance vs. one up to date?

Thanks in advance....

There is only 1 conversion that I've ever seen done correctly and that was Anil's (serialNSXer) from Targa to Coupe:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61106

I would never buy a conversion car. Ever.

The factory chassis was reinforced throughout the A and B pillars using thicker guage aluminum reinforcement which made the 95/96 cars heavier than a normal coupe (remember same engine 3.0L V6 with 5-speed trans).

When the 1997 "NA2" cars came out they had the new 3.2L V6 and 6-speed trans with the same chassis and performed better than the 95/96 cars (slight performance advantage).

If you've found a nice, well maintained 95 or 96 then jump on that for the Targa option. Otherwise, run run away no matter how good a price it is.

There are some great deals on +95 cars here on Prime and Ebay.

" I would never buy a conversion car. Ever. "

I second that +1

Me either who knows who did the conversion. nope.

inless HONDA took this NSX back to Japan and did the convertion and sent it back to me would I trust it.

anyone can take a hacksaw and cut cut cut. intill the targa top fits then paint the parts that need painting and they call it done.

I have seen these NSXs that have been converted to a convertible and they look kinda cool but not for me ya know.

the cars chassis has been compromised in a home made convertible or home made targa.

Forget about that 92 conversion. There are plenty of very nice early cars out there that are available for $20k to $30k. The 95 Targa is a much better buy than a 92 hack job. As Jetpilot mentioned, 95-96 Targas use thicker sheet metal in the A and B pillars to compensate for the loss of rigidity, which makes them the heaviest and least rigid of all NSX models. 97-05 Targas have a much more extensive reinforcement regimen and use lighter aluminum alloy. Remember we are talking about NSXs though- a 95 NSX is still more rigid than most other cars. A good triangle rear strut brace and front chassis brace can solve this issue.

You are smart to wait for the right car. A car with higher miles and full service records is generally a better buy than a car with lower miles and no records. Look for these items:

Timing belt and water pump replaced within the last 7 years;
All 23 coolant hoses replaced within the last 10 years;
ABS system flushed within the last 3 years;
A/C system is functional.

All of the above can lead to very expensive repairs if not performed. Also, look for the regular fluid (brake, clutch, trans) changes and factory-specified service intervals. They go a long way at keeping the NSX (or any car) in good shape. Personally, I would also look for a car with as much original equipment (wheels, toolkit, spare tire, airbox, etc) as possible.

OK, this pretty much confirms what I thought. Probably like everyone else, I would really like a 97+ with the 3.2 and six speed manual vs. the 3.0 and five speed. However, I think finding a 97+ for $30K or less will be a tougher find. I've considered the '91-94's but the Targa top for me is a must.

Last edited:
Then you are definitely on target for a 95-96 Targa. Plenty of nice ones still out there. There are a few here on Prime and you should scan the marketplace. NA2 (97+) cars will not be sub-$30k for a while, if ever. I happen to think the NSX market is bottoming right now and in a few years the prices for unmolested cars will start climbing.

OK, this pretty much confirms what I thought. Probably like everyone else, I would really like a 97+ with the 3.2 and six speed manual vs. the 3.0 and five speed. However, I think finding a 97+ for $30K or less will be a tougher find. I've considered the '91-94's but the Targa top for me is a must.

get'em while their hot..... when the economy
picks its self back outta the mud.

there will be none to find.

well intll we get into another war.

and if you do the price is going to be thru the roof. 1992 for 45K LOL

I'll sell you mine right now for 55K its a 1992 Blk/Blk bone stock Mint 119K miles LOL

j/k im keeping mine for as long as I walk this earth.

" I would never buy a conversion car. Ever. "

I second that +1
Thirded, or Fourthed, or whatever.

Pulling the top off a '92 is just a bad idea all around. IMHO, the car is ruined.

If you really want an open top, you can find a 95-96 in your price range. Just be patient and keep searching -- it will come.

"Safety and handling" -I didn't know Targas were unsafe- can be easily compensated with something God gives to some, SKILLS, so, the very minor "chassis-flex" that you might encounter -or not- on a 97+ Targa, is worth, + you get, better brakes, better and lighter aluminum on the entire car, 6 speed, 20+ extra HP, 3.2L engine, etc etc etc, oh, leave alone you'll be @ least .70 of a second faster to 60, .50-.70 sec on the 1/4, and those in the real world, make difference.

I wouldnt buy a 92 targa conversion without the factory reinforcement.

I would buy a T converted to Coupe like Anil's car which was professionally done.

Theres another one here in socal that has a coupe conversion that I saw that was done very well also.

You have the benefit of the already reinforced chassis and now with the coupe top its even more stiffer than a 91-94 theoretically.

I don't think there are any concerns about safety and handling with an NSX-T from the factory. The amount of chassis flex is minimal. I'm told that, with many open-top cars (even from the factory), if you were to jack them up in the center, the front-to-back distance between the windshield and the top of the b-pillars would spread by as much as one inch, whereas in the NSX it's less than 1/16 inch. They have retained a remarkable amount of structural integrity with the additional reinforcements made with the NSX-T.

I would not make any of these statements about an aftermarket conversion of a factory NSX Coupe into an open-top car.

I'm sure the targa meets the "minimum" safety crash standards at very low speeds.

But after seeing the NSX break apart in many pieces where the driver all of the sudden feels the need to stop the car like Freddie Flintstone I rather go with the coupe.

acura-nsx-wrecked-exotic-09.jpg

As far as getting a hacked NSX - one word - don't. I agree with everyone here - big surprise right!

As to your next issue - 30k - will not buy you a real nice 95-96 NSX-T. So if that's all you have you might have to go to high mile cars that need a bit of "service"!

Now with that said - a word or "two" about "service". You buy in at 30k for an NSX-T with high miles - now what do you think that "deferred" maintenance is gonna cost you, mmmmmm, well it's gonna cost plenty! Better have at least 5k set aside for maintenance! AT LEAST! Don't think so - you haven't read enough - ok. Not trying to beat on you - just the cold hard facts.

You want one for 30k - get a coupe - 91 - 94. Simple as that. My best and actually some of my shortest bits of advice. :wink:

Hi,

I'm new to this forum but have been reading for awhile. I am seriously thinking about purchasing an Acura NSX. I have an '06 Honda S2000 with 11,000 miles on it and absolutely love it and plan on keeping it. I can only believe I would love the NSX just as much if not more. I am willing to spend between $0.00 - $30,000 for a car in the right condition. I would consider buying one that needs some work all the way to one that is 100% up on it's maintenance.

Now here's my question: There is an NSX for sale in my area that is a 1992 but it has a Targa top. Now I know these weren't factory until 1995 but was anyone doing coversions on these cars successfully? With convertibles, they usually beef up the chassis to make a drop top to minimize flex. What did Acura do to the chassis to minimize flex with the factory Targa in '95? I haven't seen the car in person yet to determine if it's even worthy of purchase but I can get it for a very low price.

Next up, there is also a very nice '95 Targa in my area for around $30K that is up on all the maintenance. It's a very nice car and would need only my personal touches to be complete.

I am also not opposed to flying anywhere in the country to pick up the right car. I have been looking and would like to purchase in the spring but if the right car comes around I would jump yet this fall.

Any hints on what to really look for in a used car? and any opinions on that Targa conversion before I look at it? also a car needing maintenance vs. one up to date?

Thanks in advance....

I'm sure the targa meets the "minimum" safety crash standards at very low speeds.

But after seeing the NSX break apart in many pieces where the driver all of the sudden feels the need to stop the car like Freddie Flintstone I rather go with the coupe.
The NSX - including the factory NSX-T - is one of the most crashworthy sports cars on the road. There have been plenty of reports here on NSXprime of drivers with the misfortune to crash and even roll their cars, and walk away from them without a scratch. Finding one crash photo without putting it into context is silly and pointless.

The NSX - including the factory NSX-T - is one of the most crashworthy sports cars on the road. There have been plenty of reports here on NSXprime of drivers with the misfortune to crash and even roll their cars, and walk away from them without a scratch. Finding one crash photo without putting it into context is silly and pointless.

Gotta agree with Ken. I mean really - why would you hold something like this photo up Batman? Pretty silly.:rolleyes:

acura-nsx-wrecked-exotic-09.jpg

This was from 2008 and was in San Diego. The result of a street racing incident but the driver LIVED.

http://www.10news.com/news/15904123/detail.html

If you have a jones to buy a car that has the handling characteristics of say, a greased sow, by all means buy a Coupe that's been converted to a Targa. There are plenty of '95+ Targas out there, just bide your time.

I waited 17 years for mine.

whats wrong with that photo? I would buy it and get those quarter panels, engine, tranny, and it looks like those seat might be fixable.

ahhhh shit all that damage that will all buff out anyway. lots of elbow grease though.

think its still for sale? lol

in case anyone hasn't noticed, the car in the picture had its' chassis sheared at the front firewall level meaning the exact same thing would happen to a coupe as the tiny a-pillars would not keep the front end attached. it is time to end spreading this misnomer that 'targa cars' are somehow far weaker than the coupe- yes, they exibit slightly lower torsional stiffness in roadholding extremes but to claim that presence of the thin aluminum roof will keep you from dying when the car disintegrates is laughable at the least.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back