14 years of dreaming and 4 years of searching

Back during my teenager years, I loved playing a racing game called Tokyo Xtreme Racer on the Sega Dreamcast. During this time, I had no knowledge of cars and wasn't even aware that all of the cars in this game were real cars (since they weren't licensed, they cheated the system by just using their chassis codes). One car caught my eye, and I instantly fell in love... with a TYPE-NA1.

Over the many years, I've been a very happy Honda fan. My first Honda was a 98 Prelude, and it seduced me with it's wonderful VTEC noises. I sold it hoping to move onto something more practical, and picked up a Scion TC. And then god said no. On my way to work, a Civic hatchback ran a red light, t-boning me in the process, and flipping my poor Scion three times. After seeing my errors, I saved up and bought a used S2000. This car was also a dream car for me because at the time, it was an obtainable dream car. Many years later, I tried to be practical and move onto an Infinity G37. No luck with this car either. That car was a lemon, full of bugs and issues (at least no accident this time!).

I signed up on NSXPrime in 2009, hoping that maybe now's the time. Since then, I spent reading up on the car and envying everyone with their beautiful NSX's. And years I spent fearing purchasing this car... what if after all these years, this car doesn't live up to my hype? What if I get a lemon? What if I get a car that was abused and now I'll have to spend a fortune to fix it up? And due to this fear, I wound up picking up a Porshce Cayman.

62019_156428031051098_220519_n_zps14a60492.jpg

The Cayman was everything I could have asked for in a sports car. Breath-taking handling with its mid engine layout, a wonderful singing engine behind my back, and beautiful classy styling. I should have been loving this car. I wanted to love this car. But here I was, still searching on NSXPrime everyday...

Finally, 4 years later, one specific post from Shawn110975 caught my eye. A museum kept red NSX with Ivory interior. Something about this specific NSX made me feel the urge to message Shawn and ask if I can buy it. Over the next few weeks, I spoke with Shawn very actively, asking if he could give me some time so that I could work out the finances. I rushed out, sold the Cayman, and worked with my bank to get a loan. Luckily for me, Shawn was more than willing to be patient and worked with me through every step. If anyone wants to go through PenFed, remember they need a copy of the front AND back of the title!

Let me tell you, if you ever buy a car from Shawn, he will HYPE YOU UP. He will message you telling you how awesome the NSX. He will call you telling how awesome the NSX. He'll send you tons of pictures letting you know that you'll soon be an NSX owner. And when he picked me up from the airport, what better way than to be picked up than in Shawn's very own?

I wish I could say that my drive back home was a super wonderful experience. After driving for 11 hours straight, I stopped in Raleigh, North Carolina to visit my friend and catch some sleep. The next day, the car refused to start. I started panicking and called up Shawn to see if he could give me some insight. He walked me through on how to check the main relay. Yup, it had a bunch of leaks, looks like someone may have messed with it before. I was able to get a new main relay overnighted from Acura... and nothing. So Shawn walked me through the phone on how to take the ignition switch apart and clean it. Still nothing...

At this point, I tried to reach out to see if anyone could give me a hand (Thank you for the quick replies ITRSteve and 99NCNSX!). I left Ben (Daisy Auto Imports) a voicemail explaining my situation. He left me a voicemail right after, giving me his cell phone number and that I can call anytime and he would be more than happy to help. I already love the NSX community <3 Shawn called me back and had me try to run a 8 gauge wire somewhere in the engine bay to the battery. BAM! Car fires right up! With this "trick", I drove back home to DC and took it to Ben for a quick diagnosis. Since his time was limited (He had a long and busy day but gladly still took the time to check out my car), he asked if I could bring it back up and he'll do a proper diagnosis of the whole car.

After I got back home, I decided to read up more on it. Hours of reading and... Wait... what's this rubber stopper at the top of the clutch pedal diagram? I rushed over to my car, with a flashlight in hand... SON OF A #()%*()#*%()#*% LOL. A stupid $1.55 piece caused me so many headaches. And you know what? I didn't care. The smile on my face when I wake up and see my car... makes me proud to finally be an NSX owner. Thank you Shawn for all the helping getting me into an NSX.

photo1_zpscf7a415d.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats! I wondered what he planned to do with that car. You got yourself a serious prize with that unmolested beauty. It is mandatory that you post many more pics and if you decide to mod it, start a build thread.

I think I have a little tear of happy in my eye. I am glad your happy. and thanks to Ben at Daisy for the work he did getting the car back to tip top.

the trick he is talking about is " the nsx has jump starting points in the engine bay, since your not supose to jump the car with a dead battery from the front where the battery is " thats a no no says the user manual for the car. so honda put a jump point in the fuse box, and a ground point on top of the throttlebody. well the starter has 2 wires one is positive from the fuse box the other is from the ign relay, you get yourself a wire long enough about 2 feet long and touch the solinoid the smaller wire to the positive post in the fuse box. car will start. now make sure your car is in neutral and e-brake on and ign is in the on postion. you then remove the wire and drive. the car will run intill you turn it off like normal, but to start it again you need use your trusty spare 3 foot long wire LOL.

this is a temp fix but will not hurt the car or the cars starter you just bypassing the relay

Last edited:
Congrats to nsx ownership

It's part number to the pedal stopper is 46505-SA5-000 in case anyone needs it. For the clutch you need 2 of these, great preventive maintenance.

yeah after i found out it was that stupid plug I went to the junk yard and pulled a half dozen of other honda different sizes to make sure I have spares to fix if this happens again.

if this ever happen to you if you stick something in the hole like a bolt, pencil broken pen, and and wrap the hole with any kind of tape it will act like this plug.

there is a switch that is pushed down or released when you press the brake, the switch is released, and let off the brake the swich it pressed.
when you push in the clutch the switch is released, and when you let off the clutch the switch is pressed. so tape or anything in the hole where this plug goes will make the switch turn on or off.

It's funny Tokyo Extreme Racer is how I too also found out about the NSX. :) Congrats!

Thanks for the welcome everyone! I need to go find my Dreamcast so I can play it again :)

I literally split hairs trying to get the stupid piece of plastic inside the clutch pedal. It's at such an tight angle and there is almost no space in there. Honestly, whoever designed this stupid idea needs to be beaten. Now, because of this, I'll always be carrying around a paper clip in the car :biggrin:

I saved up and bought a used S2000. This car was also a dream car for me because at the time, it was an obtainable dream car.

I went through the exact same thing, never thought I'd be lucky enough to own an NSX so the s2000 was my affordable dream car and I owned it before the NSX. Great car I wish I still had it, to complement the NSX of course!

Great story about your journey. I had a bunch of cars prior to the NSX and will never look back.

Thank you :)

The S2000 was really a special car. Something about that top down, flying down a mountain road, and rowing through the gears. It makes me sad when Honda killed off both of their greatest cars.

The NSX though... I still can't stop smiling and have been looking for any and every excuse to drive it. I have no regrets on selling the Cayman as this car really makes me feel like I finally bought the right car.

nice to see another enthusiastic new owner,,,btw what is your avatar?

Great story, I also share an appreciation for the Cayman (had a great test drive in one), but also decided that it wasn't quite right. Hope to see you out and about in the DC area!

DocJohn: It's Toro, the official Playstation mascot over in Japan :)

Blue_Myriddn: The Cayman made me appreciate what that Porsche still makes some of the finest sports cars. Can't wait to make it out to more car meets soon :)

Back