10 Miles on a Carfax report. Is this Normal?

I just ran a Carfax report on a 2000 NSX-T I'm interested in. The report shows the last odometer reading was at 10 miles. The car actually had 34,000 miles on it. Is this normal? From talking to the dealership, the car was owned by an individual, so I'm assuming the car was registered. Is this unusual or anything to be concerned about?

One other question. I'm not real familiar with reading these carfax reports, but is there any way to view the details of the accident check. The car I was looking at didn't have any, but I ran my car's VIN# (I have a reported accident) and it shows up, but I can't click to get the details. Do the carfax reports provide this information?

My guess would be that the state the car was registered in doesn't require any dept. of motor vehicles/emissions inspection where mileage is recorded on the spot and/or the car was registered (at 10 miles) and has sat unregistered for quite some time.

Nothing to necessarily be alarmed about. If the dealer doesn't have a logical explanation about how the mileage could be so low from one checkpoint to the next or is answering your questions in a weird way then I'd be concerned, but otherwise no. I'd let him know you'd like an explanation b/c the Carfax spooked you and you don't understand it (play dumb). If he doesn't make you feel better then maybe something's up. The dealer should be able to explain how this stuff happens to your satisfaction.

Carfax should report a mileage "discrepancy" meaning at some point the car showed up with less (or identical) miles than the last time it was examined. For instance I replaced my guage cluster several times, each time with a newer, lower-mileage one by chance. My Carfax report explodes with mileage discrepancy warnings. Each time I smog the car they record the mileage (2 yrs) and send it to the CA DMV. When mileage shows less than last time, DMV knows and Carfax knows.

I didn't think Carfax gave accident specifics other than total and/or salvage info.

Remember: unless the police and/or insurance companies were called at the scene (and sometimes not even then) Carfax will show nothing unusual (ex: the car hit a tree, was driven home and fixed at Uncle Earl's body shop.)

Just because Carfax says nothing doesn't mean there's never been an accident.

If he's the first owner, then I would said yes. I think carfax is good only for where the car was registered at DMV everytime. The carfax does not show any of my maintenance from the dealership that had been performed. Don't rely too heavily with carfax...do the usual PPI/visual inspection. If the seller is the first owner, then he/she should have a record of the maintenance. If not, then ask where he/she took it for maintenance and call the shop/dealership to confirm.

Carfax should show something like this then...

Date: xx/xx/xxxx
Mileage Reading: 10
Source: Motor Vehicle Dept., New York, NY
General Comments: Odometer reading reported for titleor registration

Back