1/4 mile times in my 2002 NSX T

Well, I finally made it to the track this week. Actually twice. Once to an 1/8 mile and then to a 1/4 mile. Here are the times.

1/8 mile 65 degrees, 90% humidity

Best time was 8.25 @ 86.21 N/A

I did not get any nitrous runs in the 1/8.

Tonight I ran the following in the 1/4 mile. The best nitrous run was in 92 degrees temp with 100% relative humidity and a barometric pressure of 30.45

1.822 60 Ft
7.526 @96.16 1/8
11.630 @ 119.69 1/4
My best mile an hour was 120.01 with an 11.78
The runs above were with Nitrous

I ran the following in the 1/4 mile. The Run was with no Nitrous in 76 degrees temp with 100% relative humidity and a barometric pressure of 30.43
1.989 60 ft
8.304 @86.71 1/8
12.85 @107.92 1/4

With a little speculation my 2002 NSX T will run an easy 12.6-12.7 with no nitrous, and 11.5's on the nitrous. The runs in the 1/4 were after an 80 mile drive, no cool down time and not more than 10 minutes between runs. the 12.85 was my last run of the night, 11th run. I had to slip the clutch a bit in all the runs. if I went over 3000 RPM on the launch the tires would break loose. My NSX T ran the above times with the following mods.

Weight 2940 with 1/4 tank of gas plus 180 pound driver.
Comptech headers and JGTC Light Weight Center Exit Exhaust, Dali Carbon Fiber air box kit, SSR 18 inch wheels front and rear 225-35-18F 285-30-18R Potenza SO3's. Yes I still have the cats on the car!

The fact that all the above times were achieved in complete street trim is the most impressive part of the NSX. I drove the car to the track, got my cooler and folding chair out of the back and then lined up and ran. No tire change, No cooling down the intake, No BS to deal with. A true 12 second NA, 11 second Nitrous, street car in street trim. Once I ran I threw my cooler and chair in the trunk and went home with a smile Meanwhile all the other cars even close to my times were changing their slicks back to street tires.
For all of you complaining about more power well who needs more? The only other thing out there that will run close under 100 grand in stock form is the new Viper 11.77 @ 123.6 (June 2003 Motor Trend).

I will be posting the actual time slips in a day or two. I have one of my nitrous runs on tape, I will transfer it to my computer and post it also. The run was not my best it was an 11.8 @119.

Wow! Impressive times for a relatively stock X on 18" wheels/tires and bolt-ons. How much of a shot of nitrous were you using and is it a single fogger setup? Is this particular track at sea level?

A bit off-topic, but do you have any TCS problems with the tire sizes you are running?

100 shot wet NX kit, single fogger. No TCS issues I have unhooked the TCS CPU.

The track is 680FT above sealevel, Tonight the density altitude was over 2500ft. 93 deg and 100% humidity 30.45 baro.

AJKS,
If your car is 2940lbs with 180lbs driver and about 27lbs of fuel it is only 2733lbs empty. That is much much lighter than a stock NSX so I am wondering exactly how you have achieved such a light weight. It seems to be much more than just putting on aftermarket exhaust and headers.

MvM said:
AJKS,
If your car is 2940lbs with 180lbs driver and about 27lbs of fuel it is only 2733lbs empty. That is much much lighter than a stock NSX so I am wondering exactly how you have achieved such a light weight. It seems to be much more than just putting on aftermarket exhaust and headers.

He said PLUS 180lb driver

DONYMO said:
He said PLUS 180lb driver

Actually, he said "Weight 2940 with 1/4 tank of gas plus 180 pound driver." Which is ambiguous; it's not clear whether the 2940 includes the 180 pound driver or not.

Since a tankful of gas weighs 111 pounds, the curb weight of the car (which includes a full tank) would be 83 pounds higher, or 3023 pounds, assuming that the original figure does not include the driver. Since the curb weight of the car bone stock is 3153 pounds, that means that the weight reduction is 130 pounds plus the weight of the nitrous system. I, too, would be interested in hearing how that was achieved. Apparently the spare and tools were still in the car...?

Also, did you let any air out of the tires, or did you leave them at street pressures?

I would guess the best way to eliminate weight in this car is the remove the stock seats and replace them with some Bride carbon racing buckets. The stock power seats look very heavy. I would bet they must weigh at least 75 lbs each. Bride makes seats that are less than 10 lbs. Replacing both seats would eliminate well over 100 lbs by itself.

Of course I love the stock seats and would never replace them. But if someone wanted to lose weight, that would be a good place to begin.

nsxtasy said:
Actually, he said "Weight 2940 with 1/4 tank of gas plus 180 pound driver." Which is ambiguous; it's not clear whether the 2940 includes the 180 pound driver or not.

Since a tankful of gas weighs 111 pounds, the curb weight of the car (which includes a full tank) would be 83 pounds higher, or 3023 pounds, assuming that the original figure does not include the driver. Since the curb weight of the car bone stock is 3153 pounds, that means that the weight reduction is 130 pounds plus the weight of the nitrous system. I, too, would be interested in hearing how that was achieved. Apparently the spare and tools were still in the car...?

Also, did you let any air out of the tires, or did you leave them at street pressures?

Sorry for the confusion. My car weighed in at 2940 with 1/4 tank of gas and complete nitrous system (filled carbon fiber bottle @22lbs). This is exactly the weight I ran the Car last night in the 1/4. 2940+180lb driver=3120 race weight. I know it is a bit off topic but here is the diet on my 02 NSX T
Recaro SPG's
Carbon Fiber side vents
JGTC Light Weight Center Exit Exhaust
Comptech Headers
Dali battery (the 14lb unit)
Removed the engine cover, spare tire/monut, tools from tool kit
Light weight wheels SSR's
Tein RA's
I still have Cats, AC, all factory glass, factory steering wheel/SRS system
I plan on a few more "diet" items. I will weigh it once I am complete and will post the new weight ASAP.

No prep to the NSX at all. I got to the track and went down the 1/4. I did not touch the tire pressure.

Last edited:
Eric5273 said:
I would guess the best way to eliminate weight in this car is the remove the stock seats and replace them with some Bride carbon racing buckets. The stock power seats look very heavy. I would bet they must weigh at least 75 lbs each. Bride makes seats that are less than 10 lbs. Replacing both seats would eliminate well over 100 lbs by itself.

Of course I love the stock seats and would never replace them. But if someone wanted to lose weight, that would be a good place to begin.

Eric
Although the seats are 10 pounds each (my Recaro SPG's are 14 each) you still have to mount them. The mounting hardware is another 15 lbs each. So net weight savings is around 40-50 pounds. You can mount seats right to the floor and save 30lb's but then no adjustably.

Eric5273 said:

Actually the stock seats are pretty light. 40.4 lbs each according to the FAQ. Honda did a pretty good job of minimizing the fat everywhere in this car.

Good run!

Here's the time slip of our 98 NSX's run, this was bone stock from the dealership, it's best run was 12.51 at111mph with Comptech I/H/E, clutch, flywheel. More proof that the NSX can still hold it's own!

nsxvsvetslip.gif

Accord-R said:
Good run!

Here's the time slip of our 98 NSX's run, this was bone stock from the dealership, it's best run was 12.51 at111mph with Comptech I/H/E, clutch, flywheel. More proof that the NSX can still hold it's own!

Did you have slicks on with the 12.5 run @ 111mph. In stock form you did a 104 mph run with a 12.8. Very similar ET numbers mine was a 12.8 @ 107.9. So how did you gain 7 mph in the quarter, three-tenths is as easy as a tire change or a cool day with good traction but 7 mph with just IHE?????? That mph difference is like 50-70hp increase or 300-400pound weight reduction. Please explain.

That run was bone stock I posted (the 12.87), with bolt-ons it ran 12.81 at 108. Then we switched to Nitto NT555Rs and it dropped down to 12.51 at 111mph.

AJKS said:
Did you have slicks on with the 12.5 run @ 111mph. In stock form you did a 104 mph run with a 12.8. Very similar ET numbers mine was a 12.8 @ 107.9. So how did you gain 7 mph in the quarter, three-tenths is as easy as a tire change or a cool day with good traction but 7 mph with just IHE?????? That mph difference is like 50-70hp increase or 300-400pound weight reduction. Please explain.

Back